• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Linkin Park - What I've Done

So their new song has finally arrived. What are everyone's thoughts on it? I like how they're attempting to deviate somewhat from their previous formula. Though it's still radio-ready rock music, it has a different touch. Chester is a really talented vocalist and I'm really excited to see where the album is going.

Oh, and if we could, can we please just discuss the song and not rant and rave about how this doesn't belong on Alternative radio while bore-fests such as Bright Eyes do. Thanks.

(sighs) I really have tried to give Linkin Park a fair shake, I really have. I have listened to pretty much all their songs and listened to people rave about them as if they are God's gift to music. I'm still trying to find out why this band is as popular as they are. Unfortunately, after listening to their music and taking their fanbase into account (teenies, soccer moms and jocks - the same three groups that made Nickelback a household name), it becomes all the more apparent that Linkin Park is a band with nothing more going for it than catchy commercial jingle-esque songs and a bunch of pretty faces in the band. The "boy band with guitars" tag their critics have hit them with rings so true.

I wanted to like and be impressed with "What I've Done", but I heard it and unfortunately it was like listening to a slower version of "Breaking The Habit". Right out of the gates they have come out with a total Mom Rock single with no sign of progress musically or lyrically and I am not impressed at all. Then again, everything else indicates that these guys come from the shallow end of the gene pool so it shouldn't come as much of a surprise. Remember, Fred Durst always used to talk about how "awesome" and "next level" upcoming Limp Bizkit efforts were, so why should it come as a shock that Linkin Park failed to live up to their promise?

I'll give you a preview of the upcoming Linkin Park album: 12 songs at 35 minutes (these guys are incapable of writing anything longer than 4 minutes): 6 Mom Rock songs, 5 "We're thugz throwin' it down for the streetz" songs, and 1 song where they let the DJ do his thing - and LOTS of Pro Tools. Essentially the same exact formula on their previous two albums. And it takes these guys 4 years to put out this tripe? Oh yeah - because they're too involved with other things to put much effort into music, like Chester Bennington developing a line of "dope kicks" which his suckers ... er, I mean fans will eat up. Maybe I'm being harsh, but it's for a reason - Linkin Park are the very epitome of corporate rock.

I think the song is ok. I think Linkin Park has done better in the past. It will still be a hit.

p_herring said:
So their new song has finally arrived. What are everyone's thoughts on it? I like how they're attempting to deviate somewhat from their previous formula. Though it's still radio-ready rock music, it has a different touch. Chester is a really talented vocalist and I'm really excited to see where the album is going.

I've only heard it once (in passing)... we haven't recieved it yet at the station. I don't think it's as strong as In The End, but I think it has the potential to do pretty good on the charts. Lead-off single from an eagerly anticipated album.

Oh, and if we could, can we please just discuss the song and not rant and rave about how this doesn't belong on Alternative radio while bore-fests such as Bright Eyes do. Thanks.

Too late!

Tom said:
I think the song is ok. I think Linkin Park has done better in the past. It will still be a hit.

Linkin Park's zombies ... uh, fans will eat up absolutely anything the band puts out. There must be some subliminal messages in the recordings, because it's as if people have been brainwashed by this band. The band could put out a song with a simple two-note guitar riff with Mike Shinoda rapping about how they owe their careers to AutoTune and Pro Tools and it would be a smash. Come to think of it, it would be infinitely more interesting than anything else this band put out.

I realize why I find this band and other corporate rock giants like 3 Doors Down and Nickelback so repugnant. All of their songs lack any kind of lyrical and musical variety - the bands have absolutely no wit, humor or even passion in their music and sound as if they are bored out of their skulls. They're no different from performers who look to professional "song doctors" like Diane Warren or Desmond Child, as they're in the business to make money and achieve the highest level of stardom out there and nothing else. The style of music may have changed, but the approach to making it hasn't - these three bands are this generation's Journey, Foreigner and Loverboy. But since they appeal to people who can't name their own state capital or can't name more than 2 U.S. Presidents and singlehandedly keep chewing tobacco companies in business (bands like Tool and Radiohead - way over their heads), they're huge stars that are ubiquitous on every radio format out there. It's a shame that people choose to make stars out of such purveyors of shallow, infantile rubbish.

SoulCrusher said:
Tom said:

Linkin Park's zombies ... uh, fans will eat up absolutely anything the band puts out. There must be some subliminal messages in the recordings, because it's as if people have been brainwashed by this band. The band could put out a song with a simple two-note guitar riff with Mike Shinoda rapping about how they owe their careers to AutoTune and Pro Tools and it would be a smash. Come to think of it, it would be infinitely more interesting than anything else this band put out.

I realize why I find this band and other corporate rock giants like 3 Doors Down and Nickelback so repugnant. All of their songs lack any kind of lyrical and musical variety - the bands have absolutely no wit, humor or even passion in their music and sound as if they are bored out of their skulls. They're no different from performers who look to professional "song doctors" like Diane Warren or Desmond Child, as they're in the business to make money and achieve the highest level of stardom out there and nothing else. The style of music may have changed, but the approach to making it hasn't - these three bands are this generation's Journey, Foreigner and Loverboy. But since they appeal to people who can't name their own state capital or can't name more than 2 U.S. Presidents and singlehandedly keep chewing tobacco companies in business (bands like Tool and Radiohead - way over their heads), they're huge stars that are ubiquitous on every radio format out there. It's a shame that people choose to make stars out of such purveyors of shallow, infantile rubbish.

A little judgemental are we? As someone who enjoys Linkin Park, Radiohead, Tool, Sigur Ros, Fall Out Boy, Arcade Fire among others, I can assure you that not everyone who listens to this band follows your ever-so-predictable accusations. Also, not to mention, most Radiohead and Tool fans can be painted in just a similar fashion (ever been to a Tool show, ever noticed the stench coming from most of the trailer trash dressed in black shirts that show up? yeah....) Anyways, unlike other nu-metal acts that were here yesterday, gone today (Nonpoint, Powerman 5000, Adema, Puddle Of Mudd, etc.) LP has demonstrated consistant talent in not only being able to craft hit radio singles, but shake things up in a slightly interesting way (if you ever see the band live, you know that it's not pro-tooled up the tailpipe, overproduced? possibly, but the dudes can actually sing and play). In terms of the playing field today, I think you may find that don't have the advantage they once had. Nu-metal kids have most likely moved over to punk/emo or gone to college and moved on to "indie" (via the major labels) rock. If you find the song to be boring, cliche and "Mom-rock" as you call it, well, that's your opinion and is completely justified (although, come to think of it, I've yet to find a Mom who's heard this, but I'm probably not digging deep enough). However, it's ignorant and stupid to pigenhole all fans of a band into one particular category. There are Phish fans that aren't hippies, Metallica fans that don't reek of stale beer, Fall Out Boy fans that don't wear tight pants and Radiohead fans that aren't living and breathing by what the Village Voice tells them.

SoulCrusher said:
I wanted to like and be impressed with "What I've Done", but I heard it and unfortunately it was like listening to a slower version of "Breaking The Habit".

There you go guys. That's the part of the post that answers the original thread's question. The rest is just filler. Enjoy the saved 5 minutes!

p_herring said:
A little judgemental are we? As someone who enjoys Linkin Park, Radiohead, Tool, Sigur Ros, Fall Out Boy, Arcade Fire among others, I can assure you that not everyone who listens to this band follows your ever-so-predictable accusations.

Well, I didn't mean to portray every Linkin Park fan as simple and backwoods, but I do picture the protypical LP fan falling in that category. They're a band with a very simple, straightforward approach that will appeal primarily to the simple-minded and the casual music fans (due to excessive airplay), but based on what I've heard they don't seem to offer much aside from catchy songs and pretty faces. Maybe the rest of this album will prove me wrong.

p_herring said:
Also, not to mention, most Radiohead and Tool fans can be painted in just a similar fashion (ever been to a Tool show, ever noticed the stench coming from most of the trailer trash dressed in black shirts that show up? yeah....)

True. There are plenty of "Tool Rawks" fans out there that couldn't explain or speculate as to the message behind any of their songs. I don't know about Radiohead - maybe back in the "Creep" days, but they've moved far beyond that.

p_herring said:
In terms of the playing field today, I think you may find that don't have the advantage they once had. Nu-metal kids have most likely moved over to punk/emo or gone to college and moved on to "indie" (via the major labels) rock.

If they fall back on the "One Step Closer" sound, that's true. But judging from the sound of the current single, they may very well be leaning toward the eager to please lite-rock of songs like "In The End" and "Breaking The Habit" - songs that still get tons of spins on Rock, Hot AC and CHR alike. They'll never be completely tied to nu-metal the way Limp Bizkit have. While it's good that they're not completely one-dimensional, they're not adventurous or clever in the slightest and seem content to recycle the same sounds in the hopes that it will yield the same end result. Advance word claims the album will be very different - then again, advance word for the latest Red Hot Chili Peppers album claimed that it would be their "funkiest, hardest rocking" material in years. You have to take all the hype with a grain of salt.

p_herring said:
If you find the song to be boring, cliche and "Mom-rock" as you call it, well, that's your opinion and is completely justified (although, come to think of it, I've yet to find a Mom who's heard this, but I'm probably not digging deep enough).

Well, it just came out this week and like most rock acts these days, the label started off by servicing exclusively to Rock outlets. This song is simple and bland enough to catch on at Hot AC and CHR easily, and that will probably happen before the album drops.

Mom Rock: Inoffensive, simple rock music that Mom listens to thinking it makes her "hip". Mom probably hates 90% of today's rock music, but she enjoys these bands. Examples: Creed, Nickelback, 3 Doors Down, and Linkin Park. There's also Mom Rap out there as well, like Black Eyed Peas.

Linkin Park may very well be a good live band as you said - from what I've seen they know how to work a crowd and can produce solid duplications of their studio recordings (although, let's be honest, that's not saying much). But how about translating the potential they show live on their albums? Some different instruments, solos, less nasal whining - any kind of progress at all? Since the last album displayed absolutely none (it was essentially a simpler, more accessible version of their debut which was pretty damn simple and accessible to begin with), I can't say I have very high expectations for this one either.

SoulCrusher said:
I'll give you a preview of the upcoming Linkin Park album: 12 songs at 35 minutes (these guys are incapable of writing anything longer than 4 minutes): 6 Mom Rock songs, 5 "We're thugz throwin' it down for the streetz" songs, and 1 song where they let the DJ do his thing - and LOTS of Pro Tools. Essentially the same exact formula on their previous two albums.

Um.... no. The reason they went with Rick Rubin to produce the new album is they realized they needed to change things up and Rubin is not a knob-tweaking ProTools-type producer. By all accounts, the new album will be completely devoid of ProTools editing and will be more of an old-school sounding rock record. Sure, there will be a few soccer-mom-friendly songs (like the 1st single), but word is there are several much heavier tracks on this disc. We'll see.

Oh, and I hear the first single as more of a reworking of "Numb" than "Breaking the Habit."

Well said Soul Crusher, very well said.

Linkin Park's music is rudderless ProTools nonsense, and their fans also make up the dreaded Nickelback demographic. These guys don't need another three minutes on your local alternative station, they need to go away. Haven't we had enough of them forced on us this decade?

machinehead said:
Linkin Park's music is rudderless ProTools nonsense, and their fans also make up the dreaded Nickelback demographic. These guys don't need another three minutes on your local alternative station, they need to go away. Haven't we had enough of them forced on us this decade?

Apparently not. This "ProTools Nonsense" has debuted at #1 on the Mediabase Alternative Chart... a feat that hasn't happened since REM did it with "What's The Frequency Kenneth" back in 1994.

Argue all you want about them "not being alternative." The masses drown out your tiny squeaks.

"Argue all you want about them "not being alternative." The masses drown out your tiny squeaks."

The masses didn't decide this. Not yet. Check back in 6-8 weeks. If that song is still #1, then you can say they've spoken. If it's still top 10, even then you can say they've spoken. But not yet, pal. LP is the closest thing to a research lock this format has, and that's why PDs everywhere have made this song #1. That, more than anything, is what makes them corporate rock. They are safe.

Should stations that can play them without pissing off their P1s play them? Absolutely. Is this new song the most cynically crafted, sterile, regurgitated piece of garbage I've heard this decade? Just about.

modrocker said:
"Argue all you want about them "not being alternative." The masses drown out your tiny squeaks."

The masses didn't decide this. Not yet. Check back in 6-8 weeks. If that song is still #1, then you can say they've spoken. If it's still top 10, even then you can say they've spoken. But not yet, pal. LP is the closest thing to a research lock this format has, and that's why PDs everywhere have made this song #1. That, more than anything, is what makes them corporate rock. They are safe.

Should stations that can play them without pissing off their P1s play them? Absolutely. Is this new song the most cynically crafted, sterile, regurgitated piece of garbage I've heard this decade? Just about.

Best chances are that it won't stay at #1 for 8 weeks. It could... but case histories prove... songs with huge debuts crash quicker. The burn factor kicks in faster, and a second single is reached for. This isn't because the song is a "regurgitated piece of garbage" (which is your opinion... and that's cool).

Beejus said:
modrocker said:

Best chances are that it won't stay at #1 for 8 weeks. It could... but case histories prove... songs with huge debuts crash quicker. The burn factor kicks in faster, and a second single is reached for. This isn't because the song is a "regurgitated piece of garbage" (which is your opinion... and that's cool).

Yeah I agree with Beejus. Although, it'll probably cross over to CHR (I think Z100 in NYC is already spinning it). There's really no success anymore in making a big dent on the Alternative or Active Rock chart because there aren't even stations in major markets. If you want to be a big rock band these days, you gotta pump that sucker over at CHR.

On a minor note, it used to always piss me off that my college station (WICB in Ithaca) would play Linkin Park yet ignore acts like System Of A Down and Tool. Plus, they always seemed to be two-four weeks late on all the major adds. But maybe I'm just expecting too much since I was coming out of the NYC area....

p_herring said:
Yeah I agree with Beejus. Although, it'll probably cross over to CHR (I think Z100 in NYC is already spinning it). There's really no success anymore in making a big dent on the Alternative or Active Rock chart because there aren't even stations in major markets. If you want to be a big rock band these days, you gotta pump that sucker over at CHR.

On a minor note, it used to always piss me off that my college station (WICB in Ithaca) would play Linkin Park yet ignore acts like System Of A Down and Tool. Plus, they always seemed to be two-four weeks late on all the major adds. But maybe I'm just expecting too much since I was coming out of the NYC area....

That seems to be the way that several stations that identify themselves as some permutation of Rock are going these days, and it's unfortunate. In New Jersey we have G Rock (Alternative) and WRAT ("Active Rock" - actually Mainstream Rock like sister station WMMR), and both stations are chock full of crossover titles, often the same ones played ad nauseum. Moreover, both stations either outright refuse to play several acts that lack crossover potential or gives them minimal play despite having massive popularity with the audience - acts in this category include Tool, Rage Against The Machine, and System Of A Down (both stations) along with Korn, Sevendust, Slipknot, Mudvayne, Hellyeah and Bullet For My Valentine (WRAT - any station that calls itself Active should be playing these acts). Instead, both stations play plenty of Linkin Park, Incubus, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Green Day (WRAT combines this with the vanilla Southern Rock stylings of the very frequently played Buckcherry, Hinder, 3 Doors Down and Nickelback - yes, I know the latter group is Canadian) and a veritable slew of other Middle Of The Road safe, soccer mom-approved rock acts which give the two stations a similar sound at times - this elitist approach results in too much overlap and alienates a nice part of the potential audience for both stations.

This isn't meant as a criticism of any stations, but it does show that stations outside of the traditional "hit music" format are trying to go exceedingly mainstream in the attempt to woo the audience for that product. Perhaps they are noting the lack of a local CHR in the Monmouth/Ocean (NJ) market, but it seems apparent to me that such a safe, mainstream and often ballad-heavy approach to a format will turn many listeners away. There's plenty of good things that can be said about both stations, but when your product is music and your approach is very tame and streamlined, it means that a lot of people won't be tuning in even if you are the only game in town.

Beejus said:
Argue all you want about them "not being alternative." The masses drown out your tiny squeaks.

And the part I like is that he can criticize an opinion without belittling you. That's class.

hubcity said:
Beejus said:

And the part I like is that he can criticize an opinion without belittling you. That's class.

Looking back at my post, I can see wher I sounds like I'm belittling...although that wasn't my intention.

Great.. now I sound like Imus ::)

[/quote]

Z-100 already added this song?! Though I've yet to hear it, I can practically surmise from just that piece of information that the new LP single must be one of the most insipid Rock singles ever produced for human consumption!

No doubt that the new Linkin Park single is completely uninspired and very mediocre. However it is certainly not horrible and I can't imagine being a program director at an alternative rock radio station and not giving it some spins. It is possible that Linkin Park is on the road to becoming the next Nickelback/Creed, however they are not there yet.

I like Linkin Park, Creed, Nickelback, as well as AFI, Fall Out Boy, Panic! At The Disco, Shinedown, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sum 41, Incubus, Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace, Plain White T's. But I do agree rock lately is too much like whiny crap. Don't get me wrong I like the whiny crap but I'd like to see more heavier rock bands coming in. And I'm absolutely sick of all this English/Europe Invasion IE: The Fratellis, The Killers, Franz Ferdinand,etc.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom