• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Latest Chicago Radio Ratings 6-14-21

There is different competition. None of those markets have a station such as WRME. Classic Rock does better. But what you're also starting to see is the changing demographics affecting the radio marketplace. There are cities such as Houston that don't have a classic hits station because of local demographics.
Yeah demographics are a factor. Look at all the AC, CHR or HOT AC stations in san francisco

There is different competition. None of those markets have a station such as WRME. Classic Rock does better. But what you're also starting to see is the changing demographics affecting the radio marketplace. There are cities such as Houston that don't have a classic hits station because of local demographics.
WLS-FM has an almost identical playlist to sister station WJJK in Indianapolis, which is one of the top stations in the country. WJJK also plays a minimal amount of "pop" or female artists, but it's obviously working.

Another thorn in WLS-FM's side in addition to WRME is probably WLIT which plays a ton of 70s and 80s - interestingly, a lot of 70s and 80s songs WLS-FM won't play.

The demographics are interesting - KXSN, KLUV, KOOL, KRTH, KOMO, KOSF, etc are in the sunbelt and west which tend to be younger and more ethnically diverse thus more pop friendly. Same in Florida with WOCL, WRBQ, and WMXJ.

In Houston, 106.9/107.5 The Eagle is a bit light for a classic rock station and has a lot of similarities in the playlist to WLS-FM, although there are differences in presentation and of course the music. KKHH/95.7 The Spot seems to fill the classic hits void in that market pretty well as mentioned above. Perhaps it takes a slightly different approach there.

Last edited:
I agree that the return of WLIT to gold-based traditional AC is hurting 94.7. Strange as it may seem, I think some of XRT's growth has likely come at the expense of 94.7. Finally, I think 95.5 may have pulled some P2/P3 listening away from 94.7 (these are folks who are likely P1 listeners to 97.1).

WRME undoubtedly has some folks who otherwise would be listening to 94.7 as their P1 station.

Were there any recent personnel moves that may be hurting 94.7 in the ratings? Perhaps moving Tim Virgin there is an attempt to reverse the recent slide?

WRME undoubtedly has some folks who otherwise would be listening to 94.7 as their P1 station.
Ever since we got the PPM, it has been fairly clear that the average listener has several favorite stations, and from week to week they increase or decrease listening to each of them... it is very hard to say that you have P1 listeners any more as this week's P1 choice is next week's P3 choice.

Did WLS-FM shift to a more rock based sound when WLIT switched to gold AC? Looking over WLS-FM's playlist, there are some pop tracks in the past few hours a classic rock station would never play ("Like a Prayer" by Madonna, "Down Under" by Men at Work, "Raspberry Beret" by Prince, and "Superstition" by Stevie Wonder", "Billie Jean" by Michael Jackson), but "lite classic rock" might be a good description for what they're doing more or less. To have been such a huge part of the 80s, Madonna is largely absent from the WLS-FM playlist except for the above mentioned track - not a personal complaint here - but interesting to see.

Where there are a lot of retirees and older people, you'll find when you get older, you'll appreciate the older demographics of the formats in those areas. Apparently Chicago can only support a configuration like WRME-LP for those demographics.

Somebody needs to address the low modulation issues and audio processing on MeTV affiliate WJMK AM 1250 and the translator on 99.3 in Bridgeport, MI. One of the posters on this thread is always screaming like a banshee about formats and processing. I'm surprised he hasn't commented about the low modulation issue. But then again, he probably never listens to geezer formats.

WLS-FM has an almost identical playlist to sister station WJJK in Indianapolis, which is one of the top stations in the country. WJJK also plays a minimal amount of "pop" or female artists, but it's obviously working.

Another thorn in WLS-FM's side in addition to WRME is probably WLIT which plays a ton of 70s and 80s - interestingly, a lot of 70s and 80s songs WLS-FM won't play.

The demographics are interesting - KXSN, KLUV, KOOL, KRTH, KOMO, KOSF, etc are in the sunbelt and west which tend to be younger and more ethnically diverse thus more pop friendly. Same in Florida with WOCL, WRBQ, and WMXJ.

In Houston, 106.9/107.5 The Eagle is a bit light for a classic rock station and has a lot of similarities in the playlist to WLS-FM, although there are differences in presentation and of course the music. KKHH/95.7 The Spot seems to fill the classic hits void in that market pretty well as mentioned above. Perhaps it takes a slightly different approach there.
WGRR in Cincinnati gets incredibly strong ratings. WLS cant catch on

WGRR in Cincinnati gets incredibly strong ratings. WLS cant catch on
WGRR has more of a typical classic hits approach with pop/rock, plus it's a heritage station with the format. WLS-FM has heritage calls, but they haven't been in the format as long as most major market players have and they've had their share of turnover and changes at 94.7.

Another strong Cumulus classic hits station is 94.9 KCMO in Kansas City.

A few years ago, Chicago had two Classic Hits outlets, WLS-FM and WJMK. It was rare for two full power Classic Hits stations to be found in the same market. But now WJMK is Classic Hip Hop WBMX.

I wouldn't say Houston has no need for a Classic Hits station because it has Adult Hits KKHH The Spot. I'm not sure one format replaces the other. Dallas has co-owned Classic Hits KLUV and Adult Hits KJKK. Los Angeles has co-owned KRTH and KCBS-FM. Seattle has KJR-FM and KJAQ. Philly has WOGL and WBEN-FM.

But probably WLS-FM would have more listeners if WRME were not doing so well.

And what about the big ratings gap between Urban AC WVAZ and Urban outlets WGCI-FM and WPWX? WVAZ is the #1 station by a mile but WGCI-FM is #21 and WPWX is #25. It seems this pattern keeps getting repeated around the U.S. where the Urban Adult stations gets such better ratings than the Urban Contemporary or Rhythmic Contemporary outlets.

I wouldn't say Houston has no need for a Classic Hits station because it has Adult Hits KKHH The Spot. I'm not sure one format replaces the other. Dallas has co-owned Classic Hits KLUV and Adult Hits KJKK. Los Angeles has co-owned KRTH and KCBS-FM. Seattle has KJR-FM and KJAQ. Philly has WOGL and WBEN-FM.
True, but the playlist of The Spot definitely seems to be aimed to fill the void. The playlist isn't that different from a CBS classic hits station compared to Jack FM in Dallas and LA. Much more focused and "safe", mostly 80s pop and pop/rock with some earlier 90s and mid-late 70s. I don't disagree that there could be a place for a classic hits station in the market, but I'd bet Audacy is enjoying the decent numbers and lower overhead than a station like KLUV takes, and they have the station programmed close enough to classic hits to where no one else would likely pick the format up.

A trend I'm also noticing overall is that Cumulus (not just the legacy talkers) seems to be under-performing overall in the top markets they are in vs. the competition.

I wouldn't say Houston has no need for a Classic Hits station because it has Adult Hits KKHH The Spot.

To clarify, I didn't say Houston has "no need for a classic hits station." Just that they don't have one. The Spot has evolved a lot over the years. They list as Adult Hits, which tends to be less pop than Classic Hits. But that depends on the market.

To clarify, I didn't say Houston has "no need for a classic hits station." Just that they don't have one. The Spot has evolved a lot over the years. They list as Adult Hits, which tends to be less pop than Classic Hits. But that depends on the market.
Also of note: may not be a big deal, but Audacy lists The Spot as a classic hits station. KCBS, KJKK, etc are listed as “adult hits” or “specialty”. I feel like they were always programmed rather differently to pander to the classic hits format. You could put the playlist on WOGL, KLUV, WOMC, etc and there wouldn’t be a noticeable difference.

Also of note: may not be a big deal, but Audacy lists The Spot as a classic hits station. KCBS, KJKK, etc are listed as “adult hits” or “specialty”. I feel like they were always programmed rather differently to pander to the classic hits format. You could put the playlist on WOGL, KLUV, WOMC, etc and there wouldn’t be a noticeable difference.
The format names used by online radio boards are not provided by the station owner or Nielsen but by each site.

Audacy lists the HOU stations this way with Nielsen:
KHMX Hot AC
KIKK AM All Sports
KILT AM All Sports
KILT Country
KKHH Adult Hits
KLOL Spanish Contemporary

Note that The Spot is not listed by Audacy with Nielsen as Classic Hits.

Audacy lists their SF market stations this way with Nielsen:
KGMZ-FM All Sports
KGMZ Talk / Personality
KITS Alternative
KLLC Hot AC
KRBQ Rhythmic AC
KCBS (and its simulcast) All News

Compare these descriptors with the names given by the different web sites and newsletters and you will see that neither the station nor Nielsen has anything to do with many listings the third party lists; identical names for formats are coincidence, not station or Nielsen data.

On the other hand, "Jack" type stations are listed as "Adult Hits" almost every time in Nielsen because that is the name stations with that general format like as it has advertiser appeal. So the ones in Dallas and LA are thus listed in Nielsen.

Remember, Nielsen has a limited selection of format descriptors that are intended, principally, to identify a "kind" of station for ad agencies not located in the local market. Each format descriptor can mean a wide range of things across all the markets.

Last edited:
I think WSHE is the only real adult contempary station in the market. Do you think Hubbard will do anything to 100.3 anytime soon

Last edited:
I was never too fond of the "She 100.3" branding. That branding basically suggests if you are a guy, your listenership is unwelcome.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom