• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KXXO-extremely weak

Is KXXO still trying to get to Capitol Peak or South Mountain? I used to get KXXO, very well [Rooster Rock] but now just like a few months ago, I can barely get more than 1 or 2dBu off KXXO. Are they using the aux 4kw facility in Tenino for the moment? I can even hear CHKG in some spots of Bellevue for pete's sake due to this.

-crainbebo

Here in Seattle last weak KXXO was as strong as ever. But 96.9's much stronger than KXXO the past few days, and normally KXXO is aboutthree times stronger than 96.9.

You know KXXO has transmitter problems when you can hear CHKG's nightly Chinese AC format as far south as Edmonds when it starts mixing in with KXXO. It's usually Everett when the signals start blending on my car radio....

multiplex said:
Here in Seattle last weak KXXO was as strong as ever. But 96.9's much stronger than KXXO the past few days, and normally KXXO is aboutthree times stronger than 96.9.

Speaking of 96.9, it sounds like they are now branding on-air as KAYO. Pretty sure all the jocks were on KAYO at one time or another as well.

James

Bad thing is the KAYO callsign is taken up on 100.9 in Wasilla, Alaska, so KGY can't get the KAYO callsign...

-crainbebo

My guess is that they're using their aux site at Tenino. It gets into Oly and Centralia fine, but a little fuzzy around the edges.

I remember last week in the car heading to Auburn, around the Kennydale area KXXO was as strong as 45dBu+! But usually in Bellevue they are around 15-18dBu. Now with the Tenino site, it stays at either 0 or 1dBu.

-crainbebo

Talking about weak Olympia-area stations, when I drove through that area about two weeks ago, KRXY/Roxy 94.5 seemed to be non-existent. What's with that?

UPDATE: KXXO is back to Rooster Rock-getting 15-18 dBu again here in Bellevue. Sometimes above 20.

-crainbebo

I wonder why they keep having to switch? Could it have something to do with KWLZ testing? Also, how can you tell field strengths?

My Grundig G8 has a dbU and db meter. That's how I found out the field strength of KXXO [the dBu is usually around 14-18].

-crainbebo

KXXO is Licensed to operate from Rooster Ridge - near the Morton area in Lewis County with 72 KW ERP at plus 3953 feet above sea level. A true full class C that covers Seattle-Tacoma as well as Portland. Howver KXXO is moving to the north to allow an upgade - move in on 96.3 in the Portland area. The CP from South Mtn has expired and is out of the picture. South Mtn would have covered way too many fish and not enough people. The operational Auxilary site is located on Crawford Mtn a few miles southeast of Tenino but uses only 4.9 KW at + 1657 feet Above sea level. A new CP has been granted to relocate to Capital Peak with only 37 KW at about 3,000 above sea level. The Full MAX power for a class C at that level should be 65 KW. Capital peak should work well - even if not at full power. So you are either hearing the main site on Rooster Ridge or the low power Auxilary site on Crawford Mtn near Tenino.

Seems that KDDS and KOMO-FM don't mind covering all those "fish" from South Mountain.
Perhaps there was also a financial issue involved with the South Mountain site that wasn't satisfied by the Portland instigators of the move?

Other than having to install directional antennas to keep their signal from interfering with Canadian stations over Canadian soil, I don't think there were any 'problems.'

Their signal is all over the place for me (I'm in Lynnwood). Some days they're excellent and I don't need to fiddle with my radio clock antenna, other days it's static and 95.7 hops over to 96.5 with ease.

It's a shame, as KXXO is streets ahead of KRWM and it's note even close.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom