• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KVST back in Huntsville

Good morning Chuck, I drove the signal last night again up and down I 45 and Hy 59. for KVST inside there city coverage. I will be on the phone with the Owners attorney this morning. The interference to KVST even inside there city grade cover is really bad. I have video sitting in the studio parking lot with KVST getting splattered on and at some point you and not even pick up kvst 7 miles from there transmitter. people need to go online and file complaints right there. https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us
[email protected] or [email protected]

I love Reading all this junk about KVST broadcasting on the wrong tower and for about a year now.
Actually, I don't think the criticism is regarding operation from the wrong tower, but poor signal quality. Which sounds like an engineering rather than a licensing issue.

• Wow
Reactions: HTX
Chuck, speaking of transmitters, is there any update on the new transmitter for KKHT? A while back you said KKHT would have “a new sound” once it was installed.
Looks like it will be after the 1st of the year. I'm sure KKHT will still be in mono. There was a plan for HD, but that's not going to happen.

Reactions: HTX
I’m curious which translator is causing the interference…I thought it might be first adjacent K260DD (located near Tomball.) But yesterday I listened to KVST while driving around the 1960 corridor in NW Harris County, and didn’t hear anything unusual…both KVST and K260DD were at their usual strengths, no splatter heard.

Could the interference be coming from somewhere else? Malfunctioning transmitters can spew crud well away from their fundamental frequency.

Believe it's either K258DA or K258DI blasting on 99.5. Didn't have any sign of interference last night on my drive home, and 99.5 was giving me some tropo from Lake Charles. This morning, Indian programming on 99.5 is blasting in loud and clear and I'm seeing some interference on 99.7 in The Woodlands, near Research Forest and I-45.

Believe it's either K258DA or K258DI blasting on 99.5.
That’s what I was thinking too. I haven’t been able to check the interference the past few days but I’ve never heard any. Although whenever I was 3 miles from the KVST Willis tower, I’ve had bleedover on adjacent frequencies.

Looks like it will be after the 1st of the year. I'm sure KKHT will still be in mono. There was a plan for HD, but that's not going to happen.
The real problem with KKHT is transmitter location. From what I understand, if it is raining outside (as it has for the last day and a half), the road to the racility is basically impassible. Therefore that, as well as the geographical distance from Salem's Houston operations, makes change slow. However, as long as the programming remains primarily talk, then I don't really see mono operation as a significant handicap.

Give us the secret on "seeing" radio interference. :unsure:
Yes we no and we just turned on Willis site testing the aux site to help over ride it. Have a good night but Would like to know the secret to seeing interference not hearing interference as well not hearing it. LOL Have a good weekend.

Yes we no and we just turned on Willis site testing the aux
I can tell. I’m about 9 miles now from that tower and I’m hearing interference with KNGT and WACO now.

I can tell. I’m about 9 miles now from that tower and I’m hearing interference with KNGT and WACO now.
No sign of that here, about 7 miles from the tower. KHIH was blasting in, and was getting faint KNGT. The tuner in my truck has pretty good selectivity, though.

That is the new aux antenna on the air in Willis at 6kw. We turned it on last night around 9/pm test when the skip was going crazy. I will shut it back down at noon.

I should say that when I use the Sangean HDR-14 that’s when I hear the strong bleedover from KVST. That radio can have bad bleedover. Although I really don’t hear it when they’re in Huntsville, only Willis.

The real problem with KKHT is transmitter location. From what I understand, if it is raining outside (as it has for the last day and a half), the road to the racility is basically impassible. Therefore that, as well as the geographical distance from Salem's Houston operations, makes change slow. However, as long as the programming remains primarily talk, then I don't really see mono operation as a significant handicap.
We never considered mono as a handicap. When we took it over in late 2004, we turned it to mono immediately.

Has anybody else noticed that since the claims of interference on KVST that the 99.5 “translator” lowered power? Now if the 94.1 “translator” in Houston could also lower power to protect the 94.1 translator in Willis that would also be great.

Superserving all of Montgomery and Walker counties and their associated growth is probably a better idea than concentrating too much on the Spring-Woodlands area, which is more emotionally linked to the immediate Houston metro area and all its radio competition.

Wonder how long New Wavo will stay in the radio game before cashing out?
After getting the millions he did for 103.5 which is now 103.7, Ben Amoto isn't hurting for cash

If an ant takes a leak on the road, it turns to gumbo mud. It's a logging road and the trucks constantly tear it up. It was a pain in the ass 40 years ago when the tower was built and it still is today..

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom