• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KRTH now playing rap music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
See when people say the music was so much better when I was growing up. Disagree with that.The music today is no better nor worse it's just different.
I just can't go along with that.

Whether the older music is "better" depends on the individual.

For me, almost anything since about 1980 other than country and new recordings of old songs seems like garbage. And country (for me) has mostly gone way downhill in recent years. I thought it was bad before, but wow.

"Classic hits" stations playing "older" songs doesn't mean a thing to me. It all sounds bad to me. If "classic hits" stations want to play only newer songs, then it's just another style of garbage.

I just can't go along with that.

Whether the older music is "better" depends on the individual.

For me, almost anything since about 1980 other than country and new recordings of old songs seems like garbage. And country (for me) has mostly gone way downhill in recent years. I thought it was bad before, but wow.

"Classic hits" stations playing "older" songs doesn't mean a thing to me. It all sounds bad to me. If "classic hits" stations want to play only newer songs, then it's just another style of garbage.
Sorry totally disagree. That's your opinion that it's garbage which it is not. To each there own.

Because modern pop is pretty worthless, and unless it has a very good video to go with it, totally worthless.
Go ask Taylor swift and Ariana grande. I bet they disagree w you that modern pop is worthless. There bank accounts definitely disagree with you. They both put out some good tuneage. I would go see them in concert that is if I could through on ticketmaster lol

Back in the 60's when I grew up in the Inland Empire we had KMEN and KFXM, we also got XERB and KHJ. Other stations heard in the daytime included KRLA, KCBQ, and KEZY before they cut their power at sunset. We were lucky to have KMEN and KFXM, and even over 50 years ago their library of golds was larger than your typical Classic Hits format today such as KRTH has. KMEN had their Rebound Weekends, and KFXM had Flashback Weekends to match KHJ's Million Dollar Weekends. They alternated currents with gold starting on Friday afternoons instead of playing three currents to one gold like the rest of the week.

I don't believe there are only a couple hundred songs from the past worth hearing and even if I did I would include many other songs than the ones Classic Hits stations are now playing which would include tunes from the 60's and even 50's. When I do listen to oldies at home I stream Pop Gold Radio, Rewound Radio, Deep Oldies, WLNG, WSWO, and other stations that have a huge playlist going way back. Until recently I listened to KFXM online until it ended.

I don't believe there are only a couple hundred songs from the past worth hearing
The key is "worth playing" and when you test songs as to their appeal today among the 35-50 core target of a classic hits station what you get is what you hear.

Remember, over the air radio is "one to many" so a song has to have positive appeal to everyone for it to be usable on the air.
and even if I did I would include many other songs than the ones Classic Hits stations are now playing which would include tunes from the 60's and even 50's.
That would kill the station's appeal among 35-54 listeners. Anyone who strongly likes a bunch of 50's and 60's songs is in their 60's or beyond now.
When I do listen to oldies at home I stream Pop Gold Radio, Rewound Radio, Deep Oldies, WLNG, WSWO, and other stations that have a huge playlist going way back. Until recently I listened to KFXM online until it ended.
And you are talking about either streams that are not ad supported or small stations appealing to rather unique markets or older demos.

I didn't begin listening to WABC until 1969 when I moved to White Plains, NY and have never heard the others (being primarily a West Coast kid) but several stations out West usually reserved Friday or Saturday evenings/nights to specialize in older romantic Doo-Wop and Pop music - you know, the kind that go out with dedications.
That went out a half-century ago!

See when people say the music was so much better when I was growing up. Disagree with that.The music today is no better nor worse it's just different.
Sorry but I disagree here. I don’t buy the fact that music created by computers and the use of auto-tune is equal or better than the music composed with real instruments and natural vocals. Why do you think a lot of youth are going after classic rock? It sounds a hell of a lot better. I can go on and on, but I think you get my point. Even vinyl has come back, to an extent.

Sorry but I disagree here. I don’t buy the fact that music created by computers and the use of auto-tune is equal or better than the music composed with real instruments and natural vocals. Why do you think a lot of youth are going after classic rock? It sounds a hell of a lot better. I can go on and on, but I think you get my point. Even vinyl has come back, to an extent.
We will agree to disagree I will take my swifty music and Brittney Spears music and you can have have your three dog knight or led zeppelin music.

Sorry but I disagree here. I don’t buy the fact that music created by computers and the use of auto-tune is equal or better than the music composed with real instruments and natural vocals.
  • I don't like those newfangled phonograph machines. Music has to be live.
  • You can never replace a horse. Those cars are noisy and they break down all the time.
Music is not created by Auto-Tune or computers. Those are tools used by professionals to enhance their work and to create new sounds and effects that might be appealing. This is just like how radio stations are not programmed by Selector or MusicMaster; again, those are just tools used by skilled pros.

Imagine how many more beautiful buildings and homes Frank Lloyd Wright might have created if he had a computer and Auto CAD "back in the day"...
Why do you think a lot of youth are going after classic rock?
Define "a lot". The numbers are actually rather small.
It sounds a hell of a lot better. I can go on and on, but I think you get my point. Even vinyl has come back, to an extent.
A tiny extent.

Last edited:
The key is "worth playing" and when you test songs as to their appeal today among the 35-50 core target of a classic hits station what you get is what you hear.
Very true, for those that listen to the radio.

As you know we have countless of other choices to entertain our love for music. If I want to hear some obscure hit or a song that any station avoids, there’s always you tube or your own personal collection. No one is forced to hear anything they don’t want to hear. To each their own.

Very true, for those that listen to the radio.
And that is what this site is named for: "radio".
As you know we have countless of other choices to entertain our love for music.
Yet over 85% of adults use radio. And in the demos that "oldies" or "classic hits" have appeal, the figure is about 90%.

But the main point is that radio listeners select stations based on their ability to "play songs I like". If you want to create custom playlists or to hear specific songs, technology has made it a lot easier than going to the store and buying a 45 or an album. But it is nothing new.
If I want to hear some obscure hit or a song that any station avoids, there’s always you tube or your own personal collection. No one is forced to hear anything they don’t want to hear. To each their own.
If you feel that way, why do you seemingly with purpose and intent, try to annoy us with comments about radio that are illogical, impractical and un-doable?

Let's all put Krth on right now it's a totally '80s Friday night. No thanks if they would put in some deeper cuts from that decade maybe like Mike and the mechanics taking in or the housemartins happy hour or REM with the radio free Europe but they won't play any of that or the cure in between days

David just out of curiosity, how many songs has KRTH played in the last couple weeks?
Since January 1, there are 508 songs that have played since January 9. In a single week, it is 334. That means that there is a pretty big set of light play songs that roll in and out of play... it looks like every week there are about 80 songs cycling or on a slow, slow rotation cycle.

I'd give you more week's worth of data, but the Christmas season and some kind of New Year's specials make such a list deceptive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom