• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KHGV-LP to go silent

Status
Not open for further replies.
LPFM's are supposed to be licensed to non-profit educational institutions for educational purposes. Just playing your favorite oldies doesn't qualify.
Incorrect.

Who is eligible for LPFM licenses?
To qualify for an LPFM license, you must be:
• A government or non-profit educational institution, such as a public or private school or state or private university.
• A non-profit organization, association or entity with an educational purpose, such as a community group, public service or public health organization, disability service provider or faith-based organization.
• A government or non-profit entity providing local public safety or transportation service, such as a volunteer fire department, local government or state transportation authority.
• An Indian or Alaska Native tribe, band, nation, pueblo, village or community that will provide non- commercial radio services.

Because LPFM licensees are supposed to be non-commercial, educational organizations. Michelle at REC sums it up well:
"LPFM radio services are only licensed to educational organizations to advance an educational purpose, new LPFM licensees must demonstrate that they are truly educational organizations. This does not mean that the organization must have classrooms. LPFM applicants need to provide descriptions of the nature of its proposed station programming, and if possible, program schedules. The LPFM applicant should also demonstrate how the proposed station programming will be used to advance its educational purpose."
Playing your favorite oldies ultimately doesn't qualify.
He is incorrect. The FCC states otherwise.

• A government or non-profit educational institution, such as a public or private school or state or private university.
• A non-profit organization, association or entity with an educational purpose, such as a community group, public service or public health organization, disability service provider or faith-based organization.
• A government or non-profit entity providing local public safety or transportation service, such as a volunteer fire department, local government or state transportation authority.
• An Indian or Alaska Native tribe, band, nation, pueblo, village or community that will provide non- commercial radio services.

He is incorrect. The FCC states otherwise.

You just confirmed what I said. Education. So, how does playing oldies qualify as education within even the list you posted? What is the educational purpose of this particular station?

Here is a direct quote from the Commission website:
"LPFM stations are available to noncommercial educational entities and public safety and transportation organizations, but are not available to individuals or for commercial operations. Current broadcast licensees with interests in other media (broadcast or newspapers) are not eligible to obtain LPFM stations."

So again; how does an individual playing oldies qualify under these requirements?

Take a look at the Houston radio dial. What a mess between 99.5 & 99.9. Radio Stations in Houston, Texas. It's difficult to have success when you don't have a clean frequency.
Some of those aren’t even on the air. 99.7 was actually a great frequency for them. KVST really doesn’t make it down there. Especially when they’re on their Willis AUX. in my experience they got their coverage area. Now stations like KJJG-LP and KBIH-LP are a different story

Another personal jukebox masquerading as an educational institution bites the dust. Good riddance.
Would you rather the dial be filled with a bunch of Christian low powered stations? We already have a million here in both English and Spanish. Typically I’ll hear PSAs on these “personal jukebox” stations like make sure to put out a fire when in a forest. Seems educational enough. I personally would much rather prefer these “personal jukebox” stations with great music and announcing community events than yet another bland religious station.

Would you rather the dial be filled with a bunch of Christian low powered stations? We already have a million here in both English and Spanish.
In the larger picture, none of that matters. Filing for and operating even an LPFM under false pretenses is the issue. In modern times, if you want to make your own playlist, or hear music to your liking, there are tons of options that don't involve licensed radio stations. Even if that radio station has minimal coverage.
Typically I’ll hear PSAs on these “personal jukebox” stations like make sure to put out a fire when in a forest. Seems educational enough.
Running Smokey The Bear PSA's from the USFS doesn't qualify one as an educational organization.
I personally would much rather prefer these “personal jukebox” stations with great music and announcing community events than yet another bland religious station.
You might want to try a Spotify subscription. You can listen to your favorite oldies anywhere, not just within a tiny coverage area.
Which brings up another question: How much did you personally donate monetarily to KHGV-LP over the years?

Last edited:
WHGV is an NGEN type religious station in Gainesville, Florida.🧐🤣
WHGV is an NGEN type religious station in Gainesville, Florida.🧐🤣
Comes from living on the East Coast. Changed the calls in my question to a K.
The point is; considering KHGV-LP appears to be gone, how many of the few listeners that enjoyed the programming so much, actually dug into their pockets and sent them a donation? My guess is not many. That's why it's just another example of an under-funded 'personal jukebox' LPFM biting the dust.

You might want to try a Spotify subscription. You can listen to your favorite oldies anywhere, not just within a tiny coverage area.
Which brings up another question: How much did you personally donate monetarily to KHGV-LP over the years?
I do actually pay for Spotify but thanks for the suggestion.

If I’m being honest I’ve donated exactly $0 to KHGV-LP. I did not listen much because I was rarely in the area. I have actually donated a decent chunk of change (and time in some cases) to a handful of LPFMs you might classify as a “personal jukebox”. I’ve also donated to KPFT a few times.

If I’m being honest I’ve donated exactly $0 to KHGV-LP. I did not listen much because I was rarely in the area. I have actually donated a decent chunk of change (and time in some cases) to a handful of LPFMs you might classify as a “personal jukebox”. I’ve also donated to KPFT a few times.
Fair enough. But the point is; that these under-funded and potentially illegitimate LPFM stations usually end up failing because they're typically under-funded from the start, hoping that listeners will find whatever their unique programming is worth donating to. The unseen sad behind the scenes is the licensee has likely wiped out their life savings to keep the jukebox going.

Here is who they were, the community they served, and their purpose. Kinda cool. The fact that they filled a chunk of their air time with music that may have not been to your taste is immaterial-and they had been around for quite a few years and never changed hands. That says a lot. Required Reading

Here is a direct quote from the Commission website:
"LPFM stations are available to noncommercial educational entities and public safety and transportation organizations, but are not available to individuals or for commercial operations. Current broadcast licensees with interests in other media (broadcast or newspapers) are not eligible to obtain LPFM stations."

So again; how does an individual playing oldies qualify under these requirements?
Because they are a non-profit corporation or association. Just as the eligibility requirements stated.

Comes from living on the East Coast. Changed the calls in my question to a K.
The point is; considering KHGV-LP appears to be gone, how many of the few listeners that enjoyed the programming so much, actually dug into their pockets and sent them a donation? My guess is not many. That's why it's just another example of an under-funded 'personal jukebox' LPFM biting the dust.
Who is considering KHGV-LP to be gone? They filed for a Silent STA, but so did KLLS/KHTW, and the station seems to be very much alive, despite numerous Silent STAs filed by the previous two owners. According to the FCC public files, they appeared to be (not) operating under a Silent STA for three out of a four-year period.

If they filed for license cancellation, I would say that they are not just merely but most sincerely gone. If they filed for a Silent STA, not so much.

Who is considering KHGV-LP to be gone? They filed for a Silent STA, but so did KLLS/KHTW, and the station seems to be very much alive, despite numerous Silent STAs filed by the previous two owners. According to the FCC public files, they appeared to be (not) operating under a Silent STA for three out of a four-year period.

If they filed for license cancellation, I would say that they are not just merely but most sincerely gone. If they filed for a Silent STA, not so much.
This is very much a pattern for failing LPFM's who either don't have the capital to return after a significant equipment failure or don't have the operating dollars to maintain even basic operations.

You never answered my question, so I'll ask it again: What makes an LPFM like KHGV-LP qualify as a non-commercial educational public safety, or transportation?

Here is who they were, the community they served, and their purpose. Kinda cool. The fact that they filled a chunk of their air time with music that may have not been to your taste is immaterial-and they had been around for quite a few years and never changed hands. That says a lot. Required Reading
Understood, but "kinda cool" isn't a qualifying factor for becoming the licensee of an LPFM radio station.

I feel like this same discussion has metastasized into several different threads.

Here's my take: there's the letter of FCC rules, and there's the way in which they're actually interpreted by the Commission and its staff.

If you want to argue that there should be a strict definition of what constitutes an "educational" station, you can go ahead and do it to your heart's content, but it seems kind of pointless here on a message board that isn't any kind of official anything. Pointless, IMO, because it runs against what's now 20 years of FCC interpretation of its LPFM rulebook.

The reality on the ground (or 30 meters up in the air) is that regardless of what Kelly or Dutchman think the rules "should" mean, the FCC has accepted and will continue to accept almost anything that looks like a statement of educational purpose, so long as the applicant is a not-for-profit entity of pretty much any kind.

Why? Politics, history, the First Amendment. There have been some fairly serious attempts over the years to narrow the definition of "educational" broadcasting that have run up against strong opposition. But they've come in the context of trying to exclude Christian preaching formats from qualifying for NCE status - and inevitably, the FCC has backed down, because why would it want to get in the middle of that kind of a fight?

That, in turn, makes it difficult if not impossible for the FCC as a regulator to even think about trying to draw any kind of line that would allow a Daystar or a 3ABN or an EWTN to qualify as NCE while ruling out the "Oldies Preservation Society" or what have you. And, really, how would you draw a line like that that would hold up to the inevitable court challenges? The FCC has been adamant that it does not want to be in the business of regulating program content unless Congress gives it a law to enforce (hence the 3 hours of mandatory E/I programming for TV stations - that's a law passed by Congress, not an interpretation of something in 47 CFR).

As a broadcaster, I don't particularly want this (or any) FCC wading that deeply into regulating program content, either. That should be a job for broadcasters, not for the government.

So: do you disagree with that? Great. The FCC isn't interpreting its rules based on repetitive arguments on R-D. There is, in fact, a process for petitioning the FCC to modify or reinterpret its rules. That's how we got LPFM in the first place. There were a lot of ideas tossed around, everything from a 1000-watt commercial service to 5-watt quasi-unlicensed micro-radio. Anyone was free to weigh in on the process in rulemaking comments. Nobody got everything they wanted. The service that resulted was a compromise that's still being revisited from time to time.

Got an idea for changing the rules? File a rulemaking petition or comment on a docket when one is open. That's how the sausage actually gets made. Just ask someone like Michi, who has platinum frequent flyer status in the FCC comment process, not because she has any special authority the rest of us lack, but simply because she's been in the trenches commenting and pulling together constituencies since before Day 1 of LPFM.

See an LPFM that isn't playing by the rules, as they're currently interpreted? The FCC listens to petitions to deny renewals or new CPs when there's cause. If you really believe that only bona fide educational programs (whatever your definition of those may be) are qualified to hold these licenses, you've got the chance to file against 500 or so applications right this very minute if that floats your boat. But unless you can show that an applicant isn't actually a nonprofit or has violated any other rules, it's highly unlikely that you'll get the FCC to deny a CP grant.

I put my filings where my mouth is - when an LPFM up my way was moving sites without filing for CP mods, and then was silent for over a year, I did my due diligence, collected documentation, opposed their license renewal and they withdrew and surrendered the license. It was a hell of a lot more effective than posting the same thing over and over and over again on a message board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom