• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KFI MEGA OOPS.....Undumped F-bombs....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would expect a 4 or 7 second delay on a radio or TV talk show with live telephone callers and on a live entertainment program. I would not expect, nor do I think I want a delay to potentially edit a live speech by a politician nor a live government hearing.
Stations generally don’t turn them on and off depending on what they’re airing. They’re there. If something outrageous happens, it’s a safety net. As we see from this conversation, it’s infrequently used.

Honestly, society has moved on in terms of language to new "taboo" words.

If I was having a bad day, stood up in the middle of a busy office and shouted "F---!," I'd probably get pulled aside and people would ask me if I'm doing okay. There are other "bad words" today that start with "N" or "R." Shout one of those and I'd probably be immediately marched out of the office with a box of my belongings.

The FCC rules are what they are, legally -- but in a practical sense, they are grounded in yesterday's obscenities. Nobody my age cares. I feel out of place for being the only 37-year-old I know who isn't constantly using the F-word as a noun, adjective, and verb (religious upbringing, I guess?)

So yeah, I guess when I hear of this KFI incident, I just shrug and think, "Oh well, where's the problem?"

Honestly, society has moved on in terms of language to new "taboo" words.

If I was having a bad day, stood up in the middle of a busy office and shouted "F---!," I'd probably get pulled aside and people would ask me if I'm doing okay. There are other "bad words" today that start with "N" or "R." Shout one of those and I'd probably be immediately marched out of the office with a box of my belongings.

The FCC rules are what they are, legally -- but in a practical sense, they are grounded in yesterday's obscenities. Nobody my age cares. I feel out of place for being the only 37-year-old I know who isn't constantly using the F-word as a noun, adjective, and verb (religious upbringing, I guess?)

So yeah, I guess when I hear of this KFI incident, I just shrug and think, "Oh well, where's the problem?"
There is no "list" of obscenities. It is up to the licensee to avoid terms that are offensive. While there is case law, such as that which defined the "seven dirty words" as obscene, there is no published list of terms.

Think big picture. The visuals of Democrats using racial/ethnic slurs are not good. Republicans will cackle over the perceived hypocrisy of the oh-so-woke Democratic Party, inserting the LA councilors into the broader political/cultural war. In the continuing effort to ridicule and discredit the opposition party, the facts you've stated about the LA City Council are irrelevant. It's Democrats, and Hispanic Democrats at that, so quick to jump on non-Hispanic white Republicans over racist language, using that language among themselves. This is a weapon -- maybe not a devastating one, but one that has a place in the overall GOP effort.
The Times has a piece this morning on the question of who posted this.

Key point that weakens the argument of a coordinated political hit:

"For 14 days, bombshell recordings were available to anyone with an internet connection, but marooned on Honest-Finding’s rarely visited profile page, they attracted little attention."

They also risked being taken down, as a previous post by Honest-Finding without audio had been, by Reddit moderators.

And, without excusing the council members who made those disgusting remarks, it's important to see that there is a brewing bigger issue of Hispanic resentment about extreme under-representation in the LA city government.

My fear is that some incident will ignite protests and violence based on years if not decades of resentment that go back as far as the appropriation of Chávez Revine so that "white people could build a stadium". The attitudes of the council members, as repulsive and reprehensible as they are, reflect a huge potential for something broader and violent.
I believe the resentment goes back farther than that...at one point in the early 20th century, over 250 thousand Mexicans, many of them American citizens, were just arbitrarily deported from the Southwestern US. And in about the same era marijuana was officially made illegal at least in part due to a statement made from a racist US official who said that so-called Mexican "savages" were using this "vile" substance to seduce our young (White) women. This may have led to more deportations.

I believe the resentment goes back farther than that...at one point in the early 20th century, over 250 thousand Mexicans, many of them American citizens, were just arbitrarily deported from the Southwestern US. And in about the same era marijuana was officially made illegal at least in part due to a statement made from a racist US official who said that so-called Mexican "savages" were using this "vile" substance to seduce our young (White) women. This may have led to more deportations.
Thank you for mentioning this. It demonstrates the profundity of almost ancient bias against one group of California peoples who were here long before the gold rush and the transcontinental railroad.

Many contemporary Hispanics whose post-WW II relatives were not deported can relate to the building of Dodger Stadium and the prejudices against the zoot suit culture and even, before it was trendy, the Mexican diet.

With half the LA City population now being Hispanic, it is surprising that so few Hispanics are on the City Council and how some other groups are over-represented.

Thank you for mentioning this. It demonstrates the profundity of almost ancient bias against one group of California peoples who were here long before the gold rush and the transcontinental railroad.

Many contemporary Hispanics whose post-WW II relatives were not deported can relate to the building of Dodger Stadium and the prejudices against the zoot suit culture and even, before it was trendy, the Mexican diet.

With half the LA City population now being Hispanic, it is surprising that so few Hispanics are on the City Council and how some other groups are over-represented.
Japanese Americans like actor George Takei's family were rounded up and forced into prison camps after Pearl Harbor. The persecution list is extremely long. None of which gives Martinez a free pass to utter the vitriol she did. Reptilian politicians always have excuses for their abhorrent behaviour. Trump got all the way to the presidency in spite of being a worthless piece of filth. The climate is so toxic in American politics that people can rationalise the most base statements or actions.

The F word being broadcast is trivial compared to the outright bigotry, misogyny, and homophobia that is running rampant...

Last edited:
The Times has a piece this morning on the question of who posted this.

Key point that weakens the argument of a coordinated political hit:

"For 14 days, bombshell recordings were available to anyone with an internet connection, but marooned on Honest-Finding’s rarely visited profile page, they attracted little attention."

They also risked being taken down, as a previous post by Honest-Finding without audio had been, by Reddit moderators.

I encouraged reporting by an "enterprising reporter" but doubted one would surface.

Enter the LA Times. The Times ceased being a reliable newspaper years ago; any reporting from them is nothing but shear accidence. For many years it has been nothing but a Democratic Party Megaphone. This story puts the Times in a very difficult position because it pits two of (what it considers to be) its core constituencies against each other, and even worse, cannot be used make Republicans look bad - not that they won't try, they most certainly will. Odds are this will be Trump's fault in just a matter of weeks.

Japanese Americans like actor George Takei's family were rounded up and forced into prison camps after Pearl Harbor. The persecution list is extremely long. None of which gives her a free pass to utter the vitriol she did. Reptilian politicians always have excuses for their abhorrent behaviour. Trump got all the way to the presidency in spite of being a worthless piece of filth...
George Takei's family had their civil rights violated for a short time during the war. They all lived, were all released when the war was over, and George, in spite of being a latent homosexual, which was not acceptable in polite society at that time, was allowed to attend and graduate from UCLA, prosper and thrive in his chosen career of acting, and even today he still takes an active role in politics without any retribution of any kind. In short, he is one of the freest men in the world, obtaining blessings along the way that the vast majority of the world's population could only dream of.

There are a few things George never mentions: (1) If the Japanese had not started their part of the war with a cowardly surprise bombing of Pearl Harbor on a Sunday morning in December 1941, killing over 2,000 people including 68 innocent civilians, he would have never been in an internment camp in the first place (2) The Japanese in World War II were notorious for their atrocities. Just scanning the extensive Wikipedia entry on the subject (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_war_crimes) is enough to make me sick.

George Takei's family had their civil rights violated for a short time during the war. They all lived, were all released when the war was over, and George, in spite of being a latent homosexual, which was not acceptable in polite society at that time, was allowed to attend and graduate from UCLA, prosper and thrive in his chosen career of acting, and even today he still takes an active role in politics without any retribution of any kind. In short, he is one of the freest men in the world, obtaining blessings along the way that the vast majority of the world's population could only dream of.

There are a few things George never mentions: (1) If the Japanese had not started their part of the war with a cowardly surprise bombing of Pearl Harbor on a Sunday morning in December 1941, killing over 2,000 people including 68 innocent civilians, he would have never been in an internment camp in the first place (2) The Japanese in World War II were notorious for their atrocities. Just scanning the extensive Wikipedia entry on the subject (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_war_crimes) is enough to make me sick.
So you're OK with innocent Americans being locked up based on their race? Takei had nothing to do with the Pearl Harbor attack. Due process? Nah, who needs it...

Well, I guess I'm done with agreeing with ChannelFlipper. (I did, once, for the first time I can recall, earlier this week.) That didn't last long. His attempt to justify internment of loyal American civilians during World War II is far beyond the pale.
I quite clearly said his rights were violated. I in no way "justified" what happened to the Japanese Americans and their internment in World War II, which I think most people agree was wrong, and definitely against the American Constitution, of which I am a proud supporter. What I did was contrast the treatment he received at the hands of the American government versus the treatment Americans received at the hand of the Japanese government.

It sure is strange how the same people who go to great lengths to let you know that they support Ukraine after the Russian invasion don't seem to understand their very own country was just as mercilessly attacked by the Japanese in 1941.

Let's be clear about this: Without the Japanese attack in Pear Harbor, there are no innocent civilians in Hawaii killed, there is no loss of life for thousands of US servicemen, there are no internment camps and there is no Hiroshima and Nagasaki. This is what happens when you start an unprovoked war.

George Takei is a coward who will never talk about those things. Furthermore, I have heard him talk about the internment camps many times, but never once about the blessings he received afterwards. America, like all other countries, has its faults and makes mistakes. In George's case, it did much to atone for them.

I encouraged reporting by an "enterprising reporter" but doubted one would surface.

Enter the LA Times. The Times ceased being a reliable newspaper years ago; any reporting from them is nothing but shear accidence. For many years it has been nothing but a Democratic Party Megaphone. This story puts the Times in a very difficult position because it pits two of (what it considers to be) its core constituencies against each other, and even worse, cannot be used make Republicans look bad - not that they won't try, they most certainly will. Odds are this will be Trump's fault in just a matter of weeks.
Spoken like someone who hasn't read the Times in a long time.

The El Segundo Times has been spiraling for a long while, but the velocity really seems to have accelerated since Tribune unloaded it.
Really? Because I've read it daily for the past nine years, and I think under Patrick Soon-Shiong, it's taken really big strides back toward being a solid newspaper. It has a way to go still, but you and I see the trajectory completely opposite.

Spoken like someone who hasn't read the Times in a long time.
Feel free to point out to me the major Republicans (or even conservatives in non-partisan races) the Times has endorsed, the number of conservative columnists on its editorial pages, the number of times it has sided with business over the green lobby, and advocated any societal or cultural issue that is not in lock-step with the Democrat party platform under the leadership of Patrick Soon-Shiong.

My (liberal) grandpa used to tell me all the time how the LA Times was once (before my time) the conservative paper in town. He was right, but then Otis Chandler took over, took a lot of heat from his friends about the paper's positions, made the necessary changes to put ultra-liberals like Paul Conrad in, and the paper has been on a slow, and then fast, decline ever since.

Last edited:
George, in spite of being a latent homosexual, which was not acceptable in polite society at that time, was allowed to attend and graduate from UCLA, prosper and thrive in his chosen career of acting, and even today he still takes an active role in politics without any retribution of any kind. In short, he is one of the freest men in the world…
No, he’s not, Flip. Because he has to deal with people like you who think that being “allowed” to attend university in the city of his birth “despite” his sexual orientation and being able to participate in the political life of the country of his birth “without any retribution” is somehow something special instead of something guaranteed to every American.

No, he’s not, Flip. Because he has to deal with people like you who think that being “allowed” to attend university in the city of his birth “despite” his sexual orientation and being able to participate in the political life of the country of his birth “without any retribution” is somehow something special instead of something guaranteed to every American.
Now you are going out of your way to misconstrue and inappropriately make it personal about me (not cool, and poor argument technique). This has nothing to do with me or my views. I quite clearly said, what was done to him was wrong, the rights he enjoys because of the Constitution is right.

Now to your point, It is BECAUSE of the basic rights afforded to ALL Americans that George was able to do these things. America soon realized the mistakes made with the Japanese-Americans and worked to make amends. When compared to the other countries in the world where basic human rights are not recognized, America IS special. That is why so many still want to come here, and more importantly, why George never left. He just complains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom