• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

K-EARTH 101 has entered the 90's!

There were a lot of things involved there that really have no connection with now or the future. KRTH was KHJ-FM until 1972...Bill Drake, who made KHJ a legend with "Boss Radio", was hired to consult KRTH in 1992, and he hired his former KHJ stars, Robert W. Morgan, The Real Don Steele and Humble Harve for KRTH. 24 years ago, those moves tapped a vein of nostalgia among 40-somethings. Today, KRTH has found a way to be successful playing non-current music without formatic or human ties to the past. It's reasonable to assume they'll continue.

To put it in perspective, we of a certain age look back nostalgically at KHJ - Drake hired RWM and RDS on the air for nostalgia purposes (and also, I'm sure - their talent) in 1992 - that was almost a quarter century ago. KHJ's glory days were a couple of decades before that.

If you'd asked me when I was...say 22...in 1974 to relate to music or radio personalities in 1952 or 1932, I would have been clueless. I guess I would have recalled that Joe Yoakam was probably an announcer on KFWB in 1952, but that would have been the extent of my knowledge.

To put it in perspective, we of a certain age look back nostalgically at KHJ - Drake hired RWM and RDS on the air for nostalgia purposes (and also, I'm sure - their talent) in 1992 - that was almost a quarter century ago. KHJ's glory days were a couple of decades before that.

If you'd asked me when I was...say 22...in 1974 to relate to music or radio personalities in 1952 or 1932, I would have been clueless. I guess I would have recalled that Joe Yoakam was probably an announcer on KFWB in 1952, but that would have been the extent of my knowledge.

Yes, my earlier post, (you know the one that was shot down big-time!) was written under that same nostalgic feeling. I have calmed down a bit and I certainly understand why KRTH is doing what they are doing. Afterall, I have been in the biz long enough to know where the money comes from. So yeah, I was out of line.

However, (and there is always a however), I still think this change could have been more gradually. I know this is where some in corporate (or local) programming have disagreements. I would have kept the great jingles and would have transitioned more slowly, but perhaps they were doing it all along the past couple of years. If so, then forgive me.

I personally miss certain things about L.A. radio...The KNX traffic sounder (also gone), and 2nd place would go to the KRTH TOH jingle, man that thing rocked!

I guess my earlier grumbling was about this total late 70's, 80's programming, which I have played ad nauseam as a member of the industry for 40 years. But I realize I need to separate myself from this and what listeners like and expect. This is indeed my problem.

I wish KRTH only the best, you have given me some great memories. But time to move on.

Yes, my earlier post, (you know the one that was shot down big-time!) was written under that same nostalgic feeling. I have calmed down a bit and I certainly understand why KRTH is doing what they are doing. Afterall, I have been in the biz long enough to know where the money comes from. So yeah, I was out of line.

However, (and there is always a however), I still think this change could have been more gradually. I know this is where some in corporate (or local) programming have disagreements. I would have kept the great jingles and would have transitioned more slowly, but perhaps they were doing it all along the past couple of years. If so, then forgive me.

I personally miss certain things about L.A. radio...The KNX traffic sounder (also gone), and 2nd place would go to the KRTH TOH jingle, man that thing rocked!

I guess my earlier grumbling was about this total late 70's, 80's programming, which I have played ad nauseam as a member of the industry for 40 years. But I realize I need to separate myself from this and what listeners like and expect. This is indeed my problem.

I wish KRTH only the best, you have given me some great memories. But time to move on.

I don't live in LA, but I would certainly miss all the old Drake style formatics and the Johnny Mann jingles. They provided the soundtrack of my youth. Oddly enough, the Bay Area's pitiful excuse for a Classic Hits station - iHeart's "Big 103.7" has one Johhny Mann style jingle they had produced when the station started about 3 years ago, and it's now been shortened to just the frequency - "one-oh-three-seven" because they kept changing the name of the station (Oldies 103.7, The New 103.7,The Bay's 103.7) and, I assume - didn't want to pay to re-record the jingle.

They may be iHeart now, but "Cheap Channel" still describes them. And most day-parts are poorly voice-tracked. You Angelinos should probably be thankful you still have K-Earth 101.

Well, KRTH has added Lou Bega's "Mambo #5" from 1999, played 6/2 at 9pm!

I remember when KRTH used to play the real Mambo King, Perez Prado and "Cherry Pink & Apple Blossom White" from 1955

They may be iHeart now, but "Cheap Channel" still describes them. And most day-parts are poorly voice-tracked.

Depends on the format. iHeart has three stations in the Top 10, all are currents-based: KIOI, KYLD, and KMEL. I'm sure those stations operate with bigger budgets.

Well, KRTH has added Lou Bega's "Mambo #5" from 1999, played 6/2 at 9pm!

I remember when KRTH used to play the real Mambo King, Perez Prado and "Cherry Pink & Apple Blossom White" from 1955

Also Krth 101 is playing Carlos Santana- Smooth and that was late 90's-2000's.

I requested Vogue by Madonna tonight
At 8:55 and Larry Morgan had it on by 9:05 for the 90's at nine. Although the song sounded altered. Not edited though.

It was probably the version from the Immaculate Collection which was remixed for that album. The actual hit single version, unless you have a promo CD single ripped to the hard drive, has never been released on a greatest hits collection of hers.

An FYI that San Francisco's 'Big 103.7' mentioned in this thread has doubled down on the 80s - and is now officially "iHeart 80s @ 103.7." They've hired Martha Quinn of 80s MTV fame to do mornings.

I asked this in another thread and didn't get an answer: Is she leaving SiriusXM's '80s on 8 for this gig or will she be phoning it in from the NYC area via voicetracking during her down time?

It would appear that nobody on this board knows much about Martha Quinn. Not yet anyway. Perhaps a Martha Quinn fan who knows stuff will fill us in...

It would appear that nobody on this board knows much about Martha Quinn. Not yet anyway. Perhaps a Martha Quinn fan who knows stuff will fill us in...

Well, I can tell you that for a lot of teenage boys like myself, she was our favorite VJ back in the 80's for quite obvious reasons. I can also tell you those same reasons will not translate well from TV to radio and 30+ years on. But she is a pro, she will do fine, and I am sure that like most other 80's stations, with or without her, it will last a few years until they burn out the same 800 records they always do and then even the older adults that is their target audience tunes out in droves. Nobody wants to hear "Walking on Sunshine" everyday.

As for Martha, with the new day job she has given up her day shift on SiriusXM's 80's on 8 channel, but will still be on the weekly voicetracked 80's Top 40 countdown show on the weekends with her other VJ colleagues.

I'll speculate that she will keep the Sirius/XM show. In the past, there were a number of terrestrial radio jocks who also had satellite shows.

No doubt her satellite show is voice-tracked, and her iHeart gig probably will be too. I've never subscribed to Sirius/XM but I've had the service in rental cars for one-two weeks, or longer, and I noticed that shows are repeated often. I believe I've heard that you can VT a four hour show in less than one-hour.

So Martha can probably do both jobs without breaking a sweat, or working anywhere near full-time.

I'll speculate that she will keep the Sirius/XM show. In the past, there were a number of terrestrial radio jocks who also had satellite shows.

No doubt her satellite show is voice-tracked, and her iHeart gig probably will be too. I've never subscribed to Sirius/XM but I've had the service in rental cars for one-two weeks, or longer, and I noticed that shows are repeated often. I believe I've heard that you can VT a four hour show in less than one-hour.

So Martha can probably do both jobs without breaking a sweat, or working anywhere near full-time.

I'd hang on to the Sirius/XM gig if I were her; 80s on 8 is a lot more likely to exist three years from now than iHeart 80s at 103.7 is.

More 90's yesterday at 9pm!

Connected - Stereo MC's
My Lovin' - En Vogue
One Headlight - Wallflowers

Last week:

Dreams - Cranberries
Motownphilly - Boyz II Men
November Rain - Guns & Roses
What is Love - Haddaway
Fly - Sugar Ray
Wannabe - Spice Girls
Damn, I Wish I Were Your Lover - Sophie B Hawkins
All Apologies - Nirvana
One Week - Barenaked Ladies
I Need to Know - Marc Anthony
Cradle of Love - Billy Idol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom