• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

K-EARTH 101 has entered the 90's!

KRTH now plays songs from the 90's, featured on a daily 90's at 9 special.

Songs heard this week include:

Closing Time - Semisonic
U Can't Touch This - MC Hammer
Everyday is a Winding Road - Sheryl Crow
Every Morning - Sugar Ray
Bittersweet Symphony - The Verve
How Bizarre - OMC
All I Want - Toad the Wet Sprockett
Escapade - Janet Jackson
Meet Virginia - Train
Everything You Want - Vertical Horizon
Give Me One Reason - Tracy Chapman
Jump Around - House of Pain

Last week:

Living La Vida Loca - Ricky Martin
Spiderwebs - No Doubt
I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) - Proclaimers
If It Makes You Happy - Sheryl Crow
Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice
Believe - Cher
Real World - Matchbox 20
Black or White - Michael Jackson
All That She Wants - Ace of Base
December - Collective Soul

I guess this was bound to happen. Good music! Hope their listeners like this.
Let's make this a positive discussion. :)

Last edited:

Closing Time - Semisonic
How Bizarre - OMC
Escapade - Janet Jackson
Meet Virginia - Train

Last week:

Spiderwebs - No Doubt
Believe - Cher
Real World - Matchbox 20

There is still hope because there is still no Alanis Morrisette.

I hope that counts as positive.

Closing Time - Semisonic
How Bizarre - OMC
Escapade - Janet Jackson
Meet Virginia - Train

Last week:

Spiderwebs - No Doubt
Believe - Cher
Real World - Matchbox 20

He likes it? Hey Mikey! :)

Well going back another three weeks to 4/11, these 90's were played at 9pm.

World I Know - Collective Soul
Missing - Everything But the Girl
MMM MMM MMM - Crash Test Dummies
Cantaloop - US3
Push - Matchbox 20
Steal My Sunshine - Len
Higher - Creed
MMMBop - Hanson
Counting Blue Cars - Dishwalla
Under the Bridge - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Cream - Prince
Friday I'm in Love - The Cure
Runaway Train - Soul Asylum
Killing Me Softly.. - Fugees
Black Velvet - Alannah Miles
1979 - Smashing Pumpkins
The Sign - Ace of Base
Name - Goo Goo Dolls
You Get What You Give - New Radicals
Roll to Me - Del Amitri
To Be With You - Mr. Big
Found Out About You - Gin Blossoms
Beautiful Day - U2
Free Your Mind - En Vogue
I Touch Myself - Divinyls
Walking on the Sun - Smash Mouth
Poison - Bell Biv DeVoe
Ironic - Alanis Morissette
Better Man - Pearl Jam
Whoomp! (There It Is) - Tag Team
All I Wanna Do - Sheryl Crow

Sorry, CT, no Hootie. But Alanis was played.

I imagine it won't be long till these songs get incorporated into the regular lineups.

Mario, it's one hour a day (9 pm) out of 24. To say they're going 90s is a bit of a stretch. Though, eventually, they'll have to.

It's obviously a trial balloon to see if the audience is ready for these songs to be incorporated into the regular playlist and (gasp!) start phasing out some of the 70's stuff that is starting to get long in the tooth. I've been dreading this day for awhile. Some of the 90's stuff isn't bad, and for the most part, they are being rather judicious with these selections*, but in a few years when the time comes that Bieber starts getting on, you can bet that's when I will be taking off - for good.

* But on the few selections in which they have not used good judgement, isn't it Ironic? (Yeah, I think).

Mario, it's one hour a day (9 pm) out of 24. To say they're going 90s is a bit of a stretch. Though, eventually, they'll have to.

And actually so far in the weeks I've checked (4/11-5/12), it's only been the first three songs played in the 9pm hour. The remaining songs in that hour are still regular playlist. I only checked Mon-Thurs, since Friday nights, they still do that 80's show.

I'm not sure when they started this, but it has to be a recent addition.

Last edited:
And actually so far in the weeks I've checked (4/11-5/12), it's only been the first three songs played in the 9pm hour. The remaining songs in that hour are still regular playlist. I only checked Mon-Thurs, since Friday nights, they still do that 80's show.

I'm not sure when they started this, but it has to be a recent addition.

As fas as i know they debuted the 90's at 9 on April 4th 2016.

Gasp! 1991 was 25 years ago. So yes it is time to go into the next musical evolution kicking and screaming. The reality is if you are 45+ the 1960's have become like our parents "Music Of Your Life. The 70's are starting to dwindle. the 80's are the current sweet spot (and do well on Classic Hits/ AC stations). Certain 90's titles are starting to do well. The 90's catalog will be very focused (the 80's had a better selection and more exposure with MTV and musical shifts).

I compare the shift to 50/60's MOR to 60/70's pop/rock. It it (was) just part of a changing musical tastes. It will happen again in 25 years or so. I think Beiber, Bruno Mars, Adele, Maroon5 will do much better than some of the music misfortunes of the 90's.

Some of today's pop music is actually pretty good.

The '90s were a time of mass fragmentation in music. And in life. The alternative movement made it cool to be indie back then. And not much has changed since and in fact, it's probably cooler than ever in 2016.

And if you thought Gen-X'rs were as musically adrift as they could possibly get, wait until you see the Millennials when their time comes. You may be in for a shock. Because that will be the first generation where their listening began becoming directly influenced by YouTube and the internet over radio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0

And if you thought Gen-X'rs were as musically adrift as they could possibly get, wait until you see the Millennials when their time comes. You may be in for a shock. Because that will be the first generation where their listening began becoming directly influenced by YouTube and the internet over radio.

You'd be surprised. For all of the multitude of platforms available for music, the majority of millennials seem to like a very narrow group of songs and artists as evidenced by streaming charts. I scan them weekly, and all I see are basically the same songs and artists getting played on CHR stations. Sure there are some Balkinists, who like very obscure artists and genres. But ad-supported radio is looking to target the biggest mass, and the millennial mass is as substantial as the boomer mass, and it's equally as narrow. It will be easy to program a classic hits station based on 2016 music in 25 years.

You'd be surprised. For all of the multitude of platforms available for music, the majority of millennials seem to like a very narrow group of songs and artists as evidenced by streaming charts. I scan them weekly, and all I see are basically the same songs and artists getting played on CHR stations. Sure there are some Balkinists, who like very obscure artists and genres. But ad-supported radio is looking to target the biggest mass, and the millennial mass is as substantial as the boomer mass, and it's equally as narrow. It will be easy to program a classic hits station based on 2016 music in 25 years.

I tend to agree.

The alternative movement made it cool to be indie back then. And not much has changed since and in fact, it's probably cooler than ever in 2016.

It is one thing to be cool, and another to be accepted by the masses when it comes to popular music. With the exception of a few markets, alternative has made a very small dent in the mainstream market.

What hurt pop radio in the 90's was blend of Alternative, new jack swing, and weak ballards (Michael Bolton for example). It was a train wreck. Country took off like wildfire at the time and left pop in the dust with meaningful lyrics, and a very palatable sound to the masses, and great artists with personality (Reba, Garth, Alan Jackson, Etc).

Fast forward to 2016 and the CHR/HOT AC charts have become mass appeal. Foo Fighters might be cool to some, but Taylor Swift sells more records and gets airplay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of today's pop music is actually pretty good.

Definitely. I look at the pop charts today, and it is hard to find a song I hate or intensely dislike. In the formative years of Top 40 (the pre-Drake period from 1955 to 1965) It was hard to find a chart where I did not just hate a quarter to as much as a third of the music.

I agree at some point more 90's songs will have to be a part of K-Earth 101. They would have to base their playlists on what KIIS-fm played back then. 90's songs at this point could fit in to the oldies format. I knew that KISQ was playing some 90's songs on their playlists before they became the Breeze. Some oldies stations around the country have included 90's songs in the Oldies format such as Q102 San Francisco was one of them but q102 was more focused on what KMEL played in the 90's.

Update KRTH has included
No Doubt- Its My Life
But that song came out in 2003.

KRTH 101 is trying to get some of the millennial/Generation Y and Generation X in Mind. Woah they have songs that would have fit on Hot AC stations within the past two decades.

Update KRTH has included
No Doubt- Its My Life
But that song came out in 2003.

Yes but the original song came out in the 80's (and was popular on MTV), and everybody knows Gwen Stephani right now (and likes her) with her connection to the voice, and dating Blake Shelton.

This song tests well on AC, HOT AC and now Classic Hits.

Definitely. I look at the pop charts today, and it is hard to find a song I hate or intensely dislike.

I can see KRTH playing: "Cake By The Ocean", "Stressed Out", "Sorry", "Love Yourself", "Hello" or "Hotline Bling" in 20 some years, but "Work" or "Panda"....no thanks. Much of today's music is appealing in nature, but some of it is awful.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom