• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Josh Binswanger Gone from WBZ

They are now with iHeart who, i'm sure, is very successful with its music stations, but a news/talker, save, perhaps, KFBK, is a different animal for them.

I don't think that's true. They have quite a few big AM news/talkers around the country, and most are doing extremely well. I often mention WLW, WTAM, KFI, WRNO, and KOA.

I don't think that's true. They have quite a few big AM news/talkers around the country, and most are doing extremely well. I often mention WLW, WTAM, KFI, WRNO, and KOA.

I believe the stations you mentioned are primarily talk. E.g., WTAM is mostly talk and even carries Cleveland Indians games. KFI is a huge LA talker, but not a news station, as is KNX. While these stations do carry more local talk than iHeart's Premier lineup, again, they are heavy on talk. I don't know of any iHeart station that is in the category of a WCBS, WINS, KYW, WBBM, KCBS, KNX, or a WBZ.

I don't know of any iHeart station that is in the category of a WCBS, WINS, KYW, WBBM, KCBS, KNX, or a WBZ.

In point of fact, even WBZ is not in the category of the other stations you list, in that it runs talk programming at night, and none of the others do.

Several of the stations I list run solid news blocks in morning and afternoon drive. That is mainly how the format is done outside of the handful of stations you list. KDKA is also a hybrid news/talk station, as is KMOX.

IMHO, WBZ is much worse under iHeart’s ownership. News staff and producers let go and no one hired as replacements, most half hour segments now are either WBZ-TV reports or network reports, many of the sports reports are no longer live, etc.

And I have to wonder how much longer the overnight live talk shows will last. Morgan & Bradley must be looking over their shoulders every time they come to work.

Dear Wimmex,
Ok,
Here goes,...
I apologize.
There I said it.
I ever dreamed 8pm-12am Monday thru Friday could get any worse with it's pathetic softball questioning of all wretched pols guests and obnoxious glad-handing of cretins like Jrffrery Epstien's pal "Dersh".
Now add to the the mix the "Benedict Arnold" of HLC Nation, the zaftig "Nancy".
Truly horrifying.
The cackling is unbearable, the Facebook live truly "unphotpgeniclly" appealing.
No Grace there!
Even more wretched than "Babba Booey" Jr. who he was paired with previously.
Never thought I say it but I'd rather listen to Clapprood coughing up a lung on air.
Go ahead, complain away!
Ciao

Dear Wimmex,
Ok,
Here goes,...
I apologize.
There I said it.
I ever dreamed 8pm-12am Monday thru Friday could get any worse with it's pathetic softball questioning of all wretched pols guests and obnoxious glad-handing of cretins like Jrffrery Epstien's pal "Dersh".
Truly horrifying.
The cackling is unbearable, the Facebook live truly "unphotpgeniclly" appealing.
No Grace there!
Never thought I say it but I'd rather listen to Clapprood coughing up a lung on air.
Go ahead, complain away!
Ciao

Maybe Cabot Rd. could finagle the rights to the old Gus Saunders show to replace Rea,....
"one cup of nutmeg",....... "ONE CUP OF NUTMEG!":cool:

Dear Wimmex,
Ok,
Here goes,...
I apologize.
There I said it.
Truly horrifying.
No Grace there!
Go ahead, complain away!
Ciao

Yeah, we get it, you don’t like Dan Rea. Would you rather Jeff Kuhner had that timeslot? They both use the very same studio, I hear.

In point of fact, even WBZ is not in the category of the other stations you list, in that it runs talk programming at night, and none of the others do.

Several of the stations I list run solid news blocks in morning and afternoon drive. That is mainly how the format is done outside of the handful of stations you list. KDKA is also a hybrid news/talk station, as is KMOX.

True, but WBZ is still closer to its former CBS O&O sisters than to a WLW or a KFI.

True, but WBZ is still closer to its former CBS O&O sisters than to a WLW or a KFI.

But WBZ is not a 24/7 news station. It's also closer to other news/talk hybrids.

The point is: your characterization of iHeart as mainly a music radio company is wrong.

Dear Wimmex,
Ok,
Here goes,...
I apologize.
There I said it.
Truly horrifying.
No Grace there!
Go ahead, complain away!
Ciao

Wimmmex, as near as I can decipher:

"Dersh" is Alan Dershowitz.

"Nancy" is Nancy (Sandy) Shack from The Howie Carr Show (Howie's opener used to introduce him as "Howard Lawrence Carr). Obviously, Mr Pyne does not hold Nancy in any high regard.

"Grace" is Howie's on-air assistant.

I have no idea who Jeffery Epstein or "Babba Booey Jr" are.

Marjorie Clapprood is a former MA politician who hosted a morning show with Pat Whitley on WRKO a couple or more decades ago.

But WBZ is not a 24/7 news station. It's also closer to other news/talk hybrids.

The point is: your characterization of iHeart as mainly a music radio company is wrong.

I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree. There are numerous iHeart ads on both WBZ and WRKO for each and every iHeart music festival.

There are also ads on the iHeart music stations for their festivals and concerts that are out of the musical format of the station they're airing on.

Epstein-- see "other civil lawsuits"
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Epstein.
Also USA Today last month (Alan denies the charge and said the woman committed perjury);
" Famed attorney Alan Dershowitz is escalating his attacks on the credibility of a woman who alleges he had sex with her when she was an underage girl trafficked for sexual abuse by millionaire financier Jeffrey Epstein."

Last edited:
The WBZ of the venerable Westinghouse/CBS era was more to my liking, and I'm making no bones about it.

And that company got out of radio. Not just news radio, but ALL of radio. If what they did was working, they wouldn't have sold the whole radio division. Maybe they're not as venerable as you think.

Entercom didn't have to sell WBZ. They could have kept it and sold one of the FM music stations. They didn't, and iHeart was very happy and proud to trade some very profitable music stations in other markets to get WBZ & WRKO. WBZ was treated badly by that venerable company. WBZ was a station neither CBS nor Entercom wanted. iHeart was willing to offer a spurned child a home.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom