• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Jimmy Buffett Tributes?

Looking at Mediabase, I see that WCBS-FM played Come Monday once and Margaritaville twice on Saturday, all in the afternoon.

They were identified as "new" songs for the station, which means neither are in regular rotation.

Broadening the view, quite a few classic hits stations played those two songs for the first time in a while yesterday.

Switching to the country format, I see that almost every reporting country station played Jimmy's duets with Alan Jackson "It's 5:00 Somewhere," or the duet with Zac Brown "Knee Deep." Most played both.

These were the 3 songs we played on KSKO immediately after "The Car Doctor with Ron Ananian" ended. I slept in and was a little late in hearing the news, so I slipped them in the soonest I could, and then that special aired At 9pm Saturday, airs again today.

(The Car doctor ends about 40 minutes before the usual 2 hour window is over because we strip the commercials out of it, that time on the playlist is correct)

Capture.JPG

duplicate post - sorry - delete please

Last edited:
In Heaven, it's always 5:00 :)
Can't imagine the reunion concert he's having up there right now. I wonder who his biggest musical influence was? I know his grandpa, a former sea captain, was a big personal influence...what about musicians? Who's that one artist he always loved to perform with on stage?

Anyways, as much as I enjoy "Margaritaville," I really enjoyed some of his album cuts and lesser-known singles. "Mexico" is probably my personal favorite, his cover of the James Taylor song. Very energetic and a joy to listen to. You could tell he was having so much fun recording that song. Also enjoyed "Carnival World" and "Only Time Will Tell", as well as the Barometer Soup title track. A lot of those album cuts were discovered when I used to listen to the low-quality stream of KSRW/92.5 in Independence CA when they had that obscure 'adult contemporary'/NAC format prior to 2015. Many of his album cuts got played, as well as David Lindley who also passed away recently.
"Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On" is another one of my favorites, because it dealt with the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. His songs often told a story...and that's what I will forever love about his music. Much like James Taylor, Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon, etc.

I wonder who his biggest musical influence was? I know his grandpa, a former sea captain, was a big personal influence...what about musicians? Who's that one artist he always loved to perform with on stage?

From what I can see, Buffett was influenced by folk music. So probably Woody Guthrie. He opened for The Eagles in the mid-70s. His contemporaries, according to one appreciation I read, were Jerry Jeff Walker and Jim Croce. In fact Croce's death in 1973 left an opening at ABC Records, where he got signed to a deal, and released his first records. But they were all, including Margaritaville, recorded in Nashville at the same studio used by Linda Ronstadt.

Buffett, Guthrie and Glenn Frey altogether in a heavenly concert together. Wouldn't that be awesome to see in person. :)

SiriusXM’s Radio Margaritaville channel has hosted programming today playing Jimmy’s songs wall to wall.
i doubt any other broadcaster or online service is doing anything close.
Listen (for free)
So SiriusXM carries Margaritaville but doesn't produce it. Interesting. I know that's the case for news/talk but I always thought all the music channels were originals.

I'm sure the listener was thrilled.
Quite a few were,actually. My job is to serve the listeners by knowing what they want, need, like dont like and bring it to them

Maybe now that he's gone things have changed. Heard SXM play a couple Jimmy Buffet songs on their Classic Rewind channel today.

The DMCA rules apply to everyone unless you get a waiver from the owners of the songs. The rules allow for two songs back to back.

I scanned the playlist and only saw one song by Buffett played on two different occasions over the last two days:

10 hours ago - 3:41 AM

My Gummie Just Kicked In (NEW)​

• Jimmy Buffett
1 day ago - 1:15 PM

My Gummie Just Kicked In (NEW)​

• Jimmy Buffett

The DMCA rules apply to everyone unless you get a waiver from the owners of the songs. The rules allow for two songs back to back.

I scanned the playlist and only saw one song by Buffett played on two different occasions over the last two days:
What station is this from?

The fact that it's a holiday weekend will probably hurt chances of a "tribute."
A concert at Jones Beach Theater on Saturday became a fortuitous tribute. Booked roughly a year in advance, the event featured a cover band that had been scheduled to perform Jimmy Buffett's songs.

In a different era when stations were staffed on weekends, some would have offered tributes. AOR stations could have easily played many of his songs. He had many great album tracks -- HE WENT TO PARIS, BANANA REPUBLICS, VOLCANO, COME MONDAY and many others.

There was a time when many would have turned on a Radio for coverage like this. That time has passed and Radio has helped make itself irrelevant. CNN is live and covering the story right now...
He was a well known figure but he wasn’t Michael Jackson. A few songs for most outlets, with certain obvious exceptions, is fine .

Back
Top Bottom