• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Jimmy Buffett Tributes?

With his sudden loss hurting America's 'parrotheads' and music fans this Labor Day Weekend, I wonder if there are any radio stations that will honor his music this weekend? He has a huge library of music and I think this would be a great time for radio to honor his legacy to Gulf & Western rock, and music as a whole. No doubt Radio Margaritaville on SiriusXM will be doing something.

The fact that it's a holiday weekend will probably hurt chances of a "tribute." Some stations may have pre-programmed their music to give everyone the weekend off. He has a big library, but truthfully only one hit. Margaritaville was a Top 10 pop as a current. It was #1 AC, as was Come Monday. He had two #1s in Country, duets with Alan Jackson and Zac Brown. He didn't do a lot of interviews, so that kind of material is hard to come by.

Hippie Radio 94.5 in Nash has a tribute going on today (until 1 CST) as I type this at 12:22 CST.). CBS-FM is NYC is playing a lot of JB this afternoon.

The fact that it's a holiday weekend will probably hurt chances of a "tribute." Some stations may have pre-programmed their music to give everyone the weekend off. He has a big library, but truthfully only one hit. Margaritaville was a Top 10 pop as a current. It was #1 AC, as was Come Monday. He had two #1s in Country, duets with Alan Jackson and Zac Brown. He didn't do a lot of interviews, so that kind of material is hard to come by.
In a different era when stations were staffed on weekends, some would have offered tributes. AOR stations could have easily played many of his songs. He had many great album tracks -- HE WENT TO PARIS, BANANA REPUBLICS, VOLCANO, COME MONDAY and many others.

There was a time when many would have turned on a Radio for coverage like this. That time has passed and Radio has helped make itself irrelevant. CNN is live and covering the story right now...

You're talking about 50 years ago. When Jimmy had current music.
No, it's simply that voice tracking eliminates the ability to cover events. One of Radio's strengths used to be making a connection with listeners and a shared experience. Social Media has replaced Radio.

Without malice, if Taylor Swift died that would be big news.
Would Radio "go live" to cover the story? The level of stardom of the deceased will dictate the amount of coverage. Since Jimmy Buffett was way out of the demos, it's not a priority...

SXM already has a Jimmy Buffet channel. I'm sure they've got something going on.

Any other channel on Sirius can only play three of his songs within a 3 hour period without a waiver. DMCA rules.

Only two back to back. The rule applies to all curated digital services, including Spotify and Apple Music.

Any other channel on Sirius can only play three of his songs within a 3 hour period without a waiver. DMCA rules.

Only two back to back. The rule applies to all curated digital services, including Spotify and Apple Music.
I thought on Spotify you could stream an entire album under the subscription option...

I played one of his songs to open my show on KLMI at 3pm today and another one will play about 615.

Om KSKO, we'll be airing a 2 hour tribute to Jimmy at 9pm tonight and 8pm tomorrow

I'm sure the two 'Parrotheads' will be pleased.

My listeners tend to gravitate towards rock/oldies type of stuff, so this will be appreciated by non parrot heads even. one of the pluses of this job is i get a real good chance to really know what my listeners like, want, need and dont want, need or like.

Looking at Mediabase, I see that WCBS-FM played Come Monday once and Margaritaville twice on Saturday, all in the afternoon.

They were identified as "new" songs for the station, which means neither are in regular rotation.

Broadening the view, quite a few classic hits stations played those two songs for the first time in a while yesterday.

Switching to the country format, I see that almost every reporting country station played Jimmy's duets with Alan Jackson "It's 5:00 Somewhere," or the duet with Zac Brown "Knee Deep." Most played both.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom