• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

January numbers are here

January numbers: Houston/Galveston - RadioInsight

KSBJ in the sevens! Has that ever happened?

Big leap for 93Q.

The Eagle has lost some feathers.

The Buzz buzzing louder.

El Norte now in the mid threes. On a rimshot. La Raza also above a three. On a rimshot.

Praise in the mid ones. Not bad for a lame duck.

KPRC 950 sinking deeper in Zeroland.

Our favorite dumpster fire, KFNC, at 0.2. David Gow, please sell this station (I still think it’s going to happen, despite denials.)

K-Love a no-show, assume no longer subscribing to the book in Houston.

A few stations up for sale.. One company happens to be selling a few stations in the Houston Market.. I'm going to walk away now.

Attachments

• STATIONS2.jpeg
    STATIONS2.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 35
  • STATIONS1.png
    STATIONS1.png
    139.9 KB · Views: 33
Top 5+ demo rankings analysis from Research Director, Inc./XTrends:

25-54: 1. KKHH 2. KODA 3. KSBJ 4. KTBZ (up from #8) 5. KKBQ
_______ 7T. KAMA 7T. KQQK 10T. KGLK (down from #4) 10T. KTJM
18-34: 1. KKHH (up from #5) 2. KODA 3. KTBZ (up from #9) 4. KBXX 5T. KLOL 5T. KKBQ (up from #8)
_______ 5T. KSBJ (up from #17) 8. KQBT (down from #4) 9. KAMA (down from #2)
18-49: 1. KODA 2. KKHH 3. KTBZ (up from #7) 4. KKBQ (up from #9) 5. KILT-FM
_______ 6. KBXX (down from #2) 9. KAMA (down from #5) 18. KGLK (down from #4)

While I'm aware the January book in a lot of markets can often be hectic due to panel turnover, it's still pretty crazy to see KGLK fall in rank like that in the sales demos. Seems like KKHH and KTBZ-FM were the two main winners from their decline.

Looks like country is up again with the Rodeo nearby.

Raul Brindis' contract must have been really expensive for Univision to fire him if the ratings decline was mostly panel related, as the new lineup isn't doing any better. Interesting though to see both of Estrella's Regional Mexican stations do well this book, though, probably due to them not losing as many listeners in areas where their signal isn't as good and there aren't as many Hispanics.

Salem’s financial challenges could make them a seller at some point.
True, but there would be a lot more noise about station sales were that to happen here, and any sell off would likely be for more than one market. The current formats on KNTH and KKHT are core to Salem’s mission; I suspect they will hang on to Houston for the near future.

That broker listing, which I was able to pull up as well, has got to be for Gow. Outside of Salem, nobody else matches the station group description.

Since when does KGOW, KFNC, and the 92.5 translator (that David Gow doesn't even own) cover "the market and beyond"? 🤔

There is a "cluster" down there that fits the description listing much better than the Gow group. I might think about adding a grain of salt to my diet, if I were y'all.

Since when does KGOW, KFNC, and the 92.5 translator (that David Gow doesn't even own) cover "the market and beyond"? 🤔

There is a "cluster" down there that fits the description listing much better than the Gow group. I might think about adding a grain of salt to my diet, if I were y'all.
That's assuming that the listing is actually for Gow's stations and not Salem (hey, you never know). At this point, it's important to clarify that we are just speculating. Let's not start a trend where every thread gets DavidE and our other admins emails in regards to our shenanigans.

Having said that, the KGOW and KFNC duo technically do cover the entire market. How well they do so is a different story.

I think it does cover the market .. The AM covers the market, and the 97.5 cover beyond Houston.
Come on now. You know better. KFNC is not a full market signal and never has been. KGOW is a haphazard mess that has been so since David Gow purchased it and had the grand idea of rebuilding it to the specs it's licensed for now. Built in marshland that regularly floods on top of that. If the listing does belong to him, it is no less than a gross overstatement of what the actual cluster is.

A few more questions arise in my somewhat educated mind. How does he even have the authority to list and sell Sara Franco's translator? Who reputable is going to be ignorant enough to even touch the translator without KFNC actually having an HD subchannel to feed it, which makes it an illegal as all hell operation?
That's assuming that the listing is actually for Gow's stations and not Salem (hey, you never know).
I have no reservations about stating firmly that it is not Salem's listing, and as I mentioned before, I am in no way convinced that it is David Gow's either. Just before LMN swooped in to take those signals off of Univision's hands, Salem was the group that was the front runner in acquiring them for their own Spanish language service to compliment 1070 and 100.7. They aren't cashing out in Houston. KNTH and KKHT combined don't cover the market and beyond, either, so that's another red flag to me.
At this point, it's important to clarify that we are just speculating. Let's not start a trend where every thread gets DavidE and our other admins emails in regards to our shenanigans.

Having said that, the KGOW and KFNC duo technically do cover the entire market. How well they do so is a different story.
This forum, dating all the way back to the days of Doug Fleming ownership, has been built on speculation and wishful thinking, Bama. Many participants are simply throwing it up against the wall to see what sticks. While the argument can be made that the AM/FM technically cover the market, everyone that would be an actual player in an acquisition will know full well that description is an absolute overstatement, and it still doesn't address the fact that David Gow doesn't own a translator. You can't sell something you don't own.

Heck, if you really want to wildly speculate, here's a cluster that does exactly what the listing states it does. Houston Christian Broadcasters' line-up. An AM with a translator, 1400 & 101.5, and a full powered 100kW FM that DOES cover the entire 11 County metropolitan area at 105.7. That's all they own in Houston. 1 AM, 1 FM, and 1 translator.

Wild and crazy? Sure. Possible? Hey, anything is possible in the landscape of radio when cold hard cash is involved, and with the introduction of EMF in the market, HCB is finding itself further squeezed for those incoming donations that they rely upon.

Back
Top Bottom