• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Hot 96.9; Jam'n 94.5; 97.7 The Beat

I guess. I keep waiting for someone to demonstrate otherwise. Despite bad 6+ numbers, JMN does well in the demo.
The last time I was in Boston, back in 2019, the billboard I saw along one of the highways there read "Jam'n 94.5 -- Boston's #1 Station for Hip Hop and R&B." That's the target, and they're as direct about it as they can be.

The last time I was in Boston, back in 2019, the billboard I saw along one of the highways there read "Jam'n 94.5 -- Boston's #1 Station for Hip Hop and R&B." That's the target, and they're as direct about it as they can be.
I personally liked them much better back in their beginnings, but especially when Kiss 108 bought them. They were branding themselves as "Today's Hottest Music", and had a huge overlap with rhe music that Kiss was playing at the time.

The was pretty much standard with the format then known as CHR/Dance, or as some had referred to it as Churban.

They in effect came very close to Topping Kiss 108, but I do not think that they ever got past #2 in 12+ Arbrition ratings through.

Of course, 1996 had the departure of the similarities of music between both stations. Jam'n went into a very hip hop/rap direction, while Kiss at that point was playing Hootie & The Blowfish, Alanis Morissette, Goo Goo Dolls, etc. instead.

Thank you for letting me ramble on for a bit. :D

The station then dusted WJMN and was fun to hear level itself against HOT 96.9 on 2,000 watts!

Wonder what's being said behind closed doors at iHeart...a potential money maker (cluster stabilizer at best), if it were given any sort of attention (WKAF/R&B) or now a load of under sold Rhythmics with lots of heritage and a changing radio demographic...
Care to translate this for those of us who are wondering what it is you're trying to say? Thanks.

Care to translate this for those of us who are wondering what it is you're trying to say? Thanks.
I believe what he means is that;

WKAF 1.7 KW, can compete with WBQT 33,500 KW of power equally. Personally, I did not know that 97.7 was that weak. I had thought that they were broadcasting double to triple that number.

Oh well, it is just another reason for the station to focus on the South Shore more than anyplace else!

And F.W.I.W. I can barely pick 97.7 up just North of Downtown. Now I know why. With such low power, it probably doesn't cost much to broadcast it at all.

"The Breeze" was run on WJMN 94.5 HD2 for a couple of years until last summer when it was replaced by iHeart's "Black Information Network".
They need to switch the Breeze from HD2 to HD1 and slap that on the 97.7 reception. The Breeze station brand has been very successful in HD1...Some markets have received high ratings. WKTU New York City runs it on HD3 and I still listen to it.

They haven't added a station in that format in a while, and my sense is they don't like the potential for revenue. They already have several older skewing stations with WBZ and WRKO.
Soft AC the Breeze brand would work. How? It would be a huge competitor to Magic 106.7.

WJMN is earning its best ratings in a long time; iHM would be foolish to disrupt that right now.

They already ruined 97.7 - a station that had been punching far above its weight class under prior ownership.

It certainly wouldn't shock me to see 97.7 flip to something else.
The something else would be a Soft AC station.

I think that the target would most likely be aimed at competitor 99.1 WPLM.
Perhaps they should just let it go, and make a good will gesture by selling the community, who would in turn make the station viable to the immediate col, Brockton, MA and surrounding areas too.

Perhaps they should just let it go, and make a good will gesture by selling the community, who would in turn make the station viable to the immediate col, Brockton, MA and surrounding areas too.

Who would pay for it? The city? Do they have the budget for that kind of thing?

I personally liked them much better back in their beginnings, but especially when Kiss 108 bought them. They were branding themselves as "Today's Hottest Music", and had a huge overlap with rhe music that Kiss was playing at the time.

The was pretty much standard with the format then known as CHR/Dance, or as some had referred to it as Churban.

They in effect came very close to Topping Kiss 108, but I do not think that they ever got past #2 in 12+ Arbrition ratings through.

Of course, 1996 had the departure of the similarities of music between both stations. Jam'n went into a very hip hop/rap direction, while Kiss at that point was playing Hootie & The Blowfish, Alanis Morissette, Goo Goo Dolls, etc. instead.

Thank you for letting me ramble on for a bit. :D
I think you might be referring to the pre 1996 version of Jam’n when you say they never topped Kiss in the ratings? I seem to remember that they were regularly topping Kiss 12+ around 1998-2003, but I could be incorrect about that. I remember Cadillac Jack becoming a dual PD of Kiss and Jam’n around 2001 and then Kiss started overlapping more with Jam’n musically. Jam’n was also a ratings powerhouse around 2008-2010 from what I remember also, possibly beating Kiss during that time.

Jam’n was a unique station when I started listening as a teen around 1996. Bob Marley and Michael Jackson mixed in with more modern rhythmic hits, and a lot of radio friendly hip hop. They played teen pop in the late 90s along with hip hop and switched to a more urban sound around 2000 when Hot 97.7 started.

I think you might be referring to the pre 1996 version of Jam’n when you say they never topped Kiss in the ratings? I seem to remember that they were regularly topping Kiss 12+ around 1998-2003, but I could be incorrect about that. I remember Cadillac Jack becoming a dual PD of Kiss and Jam’n around 2001 and then Kiss started overlapping more with Jam’n musically. Jam’n was also a ratings powerhouse around 2008-2010 from what I remember also, possibly beating Kiss during that time.

Jam’n was a unique station when I started listening as a teen around 1996. Bob Marley and Michael Jackson mixed in with more modern rhythmic hits, and a lot of radio friendly hip hop. They played teen pop in the late 90s along with hip hop and switched to a more urban sound around 2000 when Hot 97.7 started.
Pre-1996, they came very close to, if not topping Kiss when Cadillac "Jack" McCarthy was programing it during/after Evergreen was it? purchased it at the time. Steve Rivers was still holding Kiss 108 very strongly at the helm back then too!

My memory is a little bit murky, what from what I remember Bob Colby? was programming WZOU/WJMN until the purchase of them, where Cadillac "Jack" resumed the PD Role, who had previously been been the MD at Kiss 108 after Pyramid lured him away the then cash strapped station.

With such low power, it probably doesn't cost much to broadcast it at all.
The power bill is an insignificant cost for a major market radio station. They likely pay more for insurance than for electricity.

They need to switch the Breeze from HD2 to HD1 and slap that on the 97.7 reception. The Breeze station brand has been very successful in HD1...Some markets have received high ratings. WKTU New York City runs it on HD3 and I still listen to it.
The HD1 can only be a simulcast with the analog FM signal. It can't be run separately.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom