• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Happy Days TV Sitcom

I often wondered if the record they used in the opening jukebox scene was an actual jukebox '45, since it was too quick to tell on the open & too blurry on YouTube to get a close look at it.

Of course it could have certainly been faked, but my brain tells me I had decided it was the real thing
or close enough to pass for the real thing...Wasn't the open originally "Rock around the Clock" instead of the 'Happy Days"
song? Seems like there were actual jukebox operating noises before the record played.

"Rock Around the Clock" was the first theme for "Happy Days." It was used for the first (and maybe second) season and eventually was replaced with the now-familiar theme.."Sunday, Monday, Happy Days!... etc.

You're also right that when "Rock Around the Clock" was used there was a moment before the song played in which you could hear the record being put onto the platter. Very realistic, actually.

buster2 said:
"Rock Around the Clock" was the first theme for "Happy Days." It was used for the first (and maybe second) season and eventually was replaced with the now-familiar theme.."Sunday, Monday, Happy Days!... etc.

You're also right that when "Rock Around the Clock" was used there was a moment before the song played in which you could hear the record being put onto the platter. Very realistic, actually.

IIRC, they went from location to live audience (and changed the theme) because Fred Silverman had just moved from CBS to ABC. I heard something about him having to "save a show he just tried to kill."

About the only thing wrong with Happy Days was the fact that the pinball machine at Arnold's (Nip-It) was NOT period.

About the only thing wrong with Happy Days was the fact that the pinball machine at Arnold's (Nip-It) was NOT period.
Huh?
Also, was the jukebox in the opening (& closing) scene the same one that played the '45 in the opening scene in the early shows?

nightfly61 said:
Huh?
Also, was the jukebox in the opening (& closing) scene the same one that played the '45 in the opening scene in the early shows?

I'm pretty sure it was the same video segment, but with the Happy Days theme.
Did they just get tired of paying royalties to Bill Haley and the Comets?
Never could get used to the new theme, but maybe they didn't want to be stuck in '55.
Comparatively, though, the new theme was musically lame. They should have moved up to a new theme every 2 years, but picked something with an undeniable cool factor like Link Wray from '57, etc....

The worst version of the theme was used in the final season (1983-84). They used a new arrangement that sounded more like an early-60s 'girl group' single, instead of a '50s-doo-wop song. This included a different juke box. In a nod to the past, the clips of each cast member in the credits featured clips from older episodes leading into the 'new' clips.

I know they showed the driveway sometimes, but the episode about getting the bomb shelter, did they show their back yard, & if so was that the only time we saw their yard?

nightfly61 said:
I know they showed the driveway sometimes, but the episode about getting the bomb shelter, did they show their back yard, & if so was that the only time we saw their yard?

They used the Cunningham's back yard for Joanie and Chachi's wedding for the final episode.

Do all the Detroit Red Wings fans get the "Al Delvecchio" reference? (Uniform #10, played 1950-1974, Hall Of Famer for those who don't.)

I also would have liked to see more activity at the hardware store.

Getting back to the original question:

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Days

In Seasons 1 and 2, the Cunningham house was arranged with the front door on the left and the kitchen on the right, in a sort of triangle. Beginning with Season 3, the house was radically rearranged to accommodate multiple cameras and a studio audience. However, the second season episode (mentioned above) in which Fonzie gets engaged was shot on the old set, but with multiple cameras.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom