• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

fire

So apparently WSSL did downgrade as part of the deal.
So was there ever an agreement to have 100.5 ever go higher than 13.5kw? Hypothetically, if 100.5 was allowed to go to a full 100kw, what power (or height) would WSSL have to downgrade to? Would any other surrounding 100.5 FMs be affected by this increase?

So was there ever an agreement to have 100.5 ever go higher than 13.5kw? Hypothetically, if 100.5 was allowed to go to a full 100kw, what power (or height) would WSSL have to downgrade to? Would any other surrounding 100.5 FMs be affected by this increase?
If WNNX tried to go 100KW, I would bet more stations than just WSSL would be in the way.

People talk about how small the WNNX signal is. I'm from the Mid-Atlantic, and that region does not have class C's at all; it's the land of the class B's. WNNX's signal, considered small here, is comparable to most of the stations there. Some stations do have 50KW, but they pay for it in terms of shorter antenna height. The same is true throughout the Northeast.

WSSL downgraded in 2005 from a C to C0. I’m assuming some type of deal was worked out with Cumulus. I’m 99% sure they won’t downgrade it any further. It’s a market leading cash cow and any further decrease could potentially cut in to their 60dbu signal in the northern and eastern parts of the market where a ton of their audience is. It’s an oddly positioned signal for the GSP market.

Last edited:
Stations can get downgraded if they are running a lower than minimum height and or power. They are given the opportunity to upgrade their facilities to their full class. If they don't, another station can force the class downgrade. Like a hostile takeover. No $$ trade hands that way.

Stations can get downgraded if they are running a lower than minimum height and or power. They are given the opportunity to upgrade their facilities to their full class. If they don't, another station can force the class downgrade. Like a hostile takeover. No $$ trade hands that way.
There's a radio urban legend about an intown station in ATL that was going to get downgraded so they dug out the land around their tower because they were just under the HAAT limit for their current/old status. Of course, digging out around your tower would have nil effect on your HAAT.

WSSL downgraded in 2005 from a C to C0. I’m assuming some type of deal was worked out with Cumulus. I’m 99% sure they won’t downgrade it any further. It’s a market leading cash cow and any further decrease could potentially cut in to their 60dbu signal in the northern and eastern parts of the market where a ton of their audience is. It’s an oddly positioned signal for the GSP market.
I wonder if WSSL could move north towards Charlotte (while still covering GSP) without running afoul of other cochannel or adjacent stations. Doing a quick look on Radio-Locator there's a cochannel station in Marion, SC that should be a nonissue; there is a first-adjacent full class C in High Point, NC on 100.3 that could be a problem.

I wonder if WSSL could move north towards Charlotte (while still covering GSP) without running afoul of other cochannel or adjacent stations. Doing a quick look on Radio-Locator there's a cochannel station in Marion, SC that should be a nonissue; there is a first-adjacent full class C in High Point, NC on 100.3 that could be a problem.
I do not think that Iheart wants to do anything that would help Cumulus get a more powerful signal in Atlanta. Iheart only has two full market signals in Atlanta as it is and would not want to lose potential revenue to Cumulus by allowing them to upgrade 100.5 to 100KW.

Interesting theory. I would just be very surprised if iHeart uprooted and moved WSSL in 2023 after it being at its current site for 40+, 45 years unless Cumulus paid some SERIOUS cash up…which would be a waste for a company that has been working on its balance sheet after being in bankruptcy.

Generally, the only time I’ve seen iHeart (or any company) make any modifications is if there’s money and improvement for them somewhere involved. They made a number of moves in 2014 that involved small and non-profit broadcast companies and moved their class A 96.7 FM in Greenville to 104.9. But from that deal, iHeart got to upgrade the A to a C3, as well as move their Asheville, NC WQNQ further in market. They’ll deal when there’s something in it for them, but a proposal like this seems like it would be DOA. Plus as the above poster mentioned iHeart and Cumulus are competing pretty heavily now in Atlanta with two formats (and it’s not going well for iHeart).

Really, it’s too bad Cumulus had to sell 106.7. I’m guessing they wouldn’t have gotten nearly as much/enough from EMF if they had sold 100.5? 106.7 is very eastward but no different than 97.1 or 104.7 and is a powerhouse for a non-urban format, and a precious full class C.

Both WFSH and WAKL (106.7) are on the Fish Stick at over 1600' HAAT. WAKL only runs 77kW because they are so high up--they had to cut power when they moved from the Chateau Elan tower that River uses to the Fish Stick. Fish is only 24kW, but they're "only" a C1.

K-Love also owns 105.1 out of Clermont. Clear Channel owned it for several years before selling to EMF and occasionally used it for simulcasting WGST-FM. Somewhere around the time of the sale, either before or after, they were able to move the transmitter and up the power and move from a class A to a C3.

Both WFSH and WAKL (106.7) are on the Fish Stick at over 1600' HAAT. WAKL only runs 77kW because they are so high up--they had to cut power when they moved from the Chateau Elan tower that River uses to the Fish Stick. Fish is only 24kW, but they're "only" a C1.
There was an agreement between 106.5 Chattanooga and the folks that upgraded 106.7 to the old Chateau Elan tower about adjunct channel interference. The 106.7's antenna was below 97.1's antenna on the tower. 97.1 is 1585 HAAT. so to go up another 72 feet would most likely wouldn't be a big deal since IIRC Cumulus owned both stations. The only possible issues I can see (I can't find the spacing requirements in miles) is WMIT 106.9 (Class C 36K at 3091 feet HAAT) and on channel WTCB Orangeburg SC (C1 100K at 787 Feet HAAT) which is 170 miles from their COA which I suspect could be an issue. I am sure if it was possible to get 100KW Cumulus would have done it.

I especially liked WAKL’s contest when they came on, “Where do you Wackel?” I believe the winner was, “I Wackel at the laundromat.”

I would suspect for their current formats, 104.7 (especially) and 106.7 are perfect signals. 106.7’s 60dbu makes it a bit further out, to Peachtree City, Kennesaw, and Douglasville. What would be massive would be a 105.3/106.7 simulcast or 104.1/104.7 - sure it’d be a ton of wasted signal, it’ll never happen, but talk about a couple interchangeable pairings that could make it easily from one end of the state to the other!

Actually…Cox does have a simulcast in Houston on two class C signals that are slightly deficient in a small part of the market that could fly on their own but they simulcast to have complete coverage of every inch, 106.9/107.5 The Eagle.

Last edited:
I would suspect for their current formats, 104.7 (especially) and 106.7 are perfect signals. 106.7’s 60dbu makes it a bit further out, to Peachtree City, Kennesaw, and Douglasville. What would be massive would be a 105.3/106.7 simulcast or 104.1/104.7 - sure it’d be a ton of wasted signal, it’ll never happen, but talk about a couple interchangeable pairings that could make it easily from one end of the state to the other!

Actually…Cox does have a simulcast in Houston on two class C signals that are slightly deficient in a small part of the market that could fly on their own but they simulcast to have complete coverage of every inch, 106.9/107.5 The Eagle.
At one point 106.7 and 104.1 simulcasted in the Y106/Y104 country days.

Had to make an unplanned trip to Marietta last night. Was listening to 100.5 except when I got caught in construction back up in I575. Had to get a traffic fix from 95,5 so I might have missed a break but is 99X just liners at night? Also the RDS just read 99X. Is this regular? I wish the RDS would named the tunes they were playing. I always thought a well programed ALT station would play some music I don't remember which they did. There were 2 or 3 songs I would actually pay to get a "real" download. I don't even know the name of the artists so looking up their playlist would not be productive.

Back
Top Bottom