• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

fire

Unless this is the exact model of antenna as their old antenna what do they have to file with FCC? I didn't see a CP on the FCC site. I know with the AUX site they didn't have to file an STA.
I don't know the answer to that, but I was told that when the fire occurred, they didn't have a backup site and that they scrambled to build one on Chester Avenue. Until it was built, they fed the signal through a transmitter that had been used by another station.

It may be up and running. HD signal coming in as far west as Temple and it starts to breakup at Bremen but still listenable. It did storm today which can enhance signal out this way but I bet the antenna is up and running.

The signal is good again up in North Cobb and Bartow county, even with WBHF's 100.3 right next door.

As I recall the diaries were all the same. Maybe there was only one diary for one week. It's been 30 years... :)
They will send multiple diaries if there are multiple people 12+ in the household. One for each, same week.

I just wonder if the new antenna will help with the South Carolina 100.5 interference North of Canton, or is it an exact copy of what they had? Are putting the radomes back on?

I just wonder if the new antenna will help with the South Carolina 100.5 interference North of Canton, or is it an exact copy of what they had? Are putting the radomes back on?
If the area you are referring to is not in the Atlanta Metro Survey Area, then they are not concerned with it one way or another. In which county is the area you are referring to?

If the area you are referring to is not in the Atlanta Metro Survey Area, then they are not concerned with it one way or another. In which county is the area you are referring to?
I am sorry I forgot not every body knows the Atlanta market's suburbs. Canton is the country seat of Cherokee county. (280,000+ population). It is North of Cobb county. Pickens (30,000 + ) county is north of Cherokee. Last time I checked both countries had ppm wearers. WSSL (Greenville SC market) tropos in Pickens and northern Cherokee too frequently IMHO. I live in Pickens and at least once a week WSSL overpowers WNNX on my car radio before the fire. I have always wondered why IHeart and Cumulus never worked a deal where WSSL was downgraded to allow 100.5 in Atlanta C1 status. I sure somewhere in the USA Cumulus could "help" iHeart signal wise. Or The Cloud Company really should think about moving 100.5 to a tower North of 285. 97.1 and the Fish do well from towers north of 285.

I am sorry I forgot not every body knows the Atlanta market's suburbs. Canton is the country seat of Cherokee county. (280,000+ population). It is North of Cobb county. Pickens (30,000 + ) county is north of Cherokee. Last time I checked both countries had ppm wearers. WSSL (Greenville SC market) tropos in Pickens and northern Cherokee too frequently IMHO. I live in Pickens and at least once a week WSSL overpowers WNNX on my car radio before the fire. I have always wondered why IHeart and Cumulus never worked a deal where WSSL was downgraded to allow 100.5 in Atlanta C1 status. I sure somewhere in the USA Cumulus could "help" iHeart signal wise. Or The Cloud Company really should think about moving 100.5 to a tower North of 285. 97.1 and the Fish do well from towers north of 285.
WNNX gets direct interference from WSSL at times in Gwinnett and points north on the I-85 corridor towards Greenville. That is not new.

I want to say that Cumulus had a deal with the prior owner (pre-CC/iHeart) of WSSL for WSSL to either downgrade or move towards Charlotte as part of the 100.5 move-in, but that went away when CC/iHeart bought WSSL.

WNNX gets direct interference from WSSL at times in Gwinnett and points north on the I-85 corridor towards Greenville. That is not new.

I want to say that Cumulus had a deal with the prior owner (pre-CC/iHeart) of WSSL for WSSL to either downgrade or move towards Charlotte as part of the 100.5 move-in, but that went away when CC/iHeart bought WSSL.
They did do a deal in 2005.

When 100.5 signed on, it was a class A at 3,000 watts. Susquehanna paid Clear Channel to accept some interference in an area between Atlanta and Greenville. 100.5 in Atlanta was allowed to become a C2 with 13,500 watts. WSSL was able to remain a C0 with 100,000 watts.

Cumulus should have let 100.5 go instead of 106.7. I believe 100.5 has more folks in their 60 db than 106.7. KLove has worked with CC/iHeart in the past. I sure something could have been worked out

There are educational stations 88.1 to 91.9 with some a patterns that are comparable to some of the 4 + towers AM station patterns. There are translators that have creative patterns too. 98.1 in Jasper Ga is an example. One would think the commission would allow some of these type of antennas on A, B and C Commercial facilities if there was no increased interference. I get the spacings assumed all the stations are omnidirectional back in the day but the FCC has allowed translators and LP stations to be engineered that do not cause interference to existing stations that are not spaced properly if it was 30 years ago.

The new signal is a hair better. Maybe 5 miles further out from town better. I can usually tell by how much the HD drops out the further I go east of town. It tends to stay locked on more now. Still has the same dead spots in places. On heavy tropo mornings, I typically will not lose the WSSL interference until I get past Stone Mountain park. I can always tell it’s a heavy tropo morning because the WSSL HD signal, text and logo come up on my radio.

They did do a deal in 2005.

When 100.5 signed on, it was a class A at 3,000 watts. Susquehanna paid Clear Channel to accept some interference in an area between Atlanta and Greenville. 100.5 in Atlanta was allowed to become a C2 with 13,500 watts. WSSL was able to remain a C0 with 100,000 watts.
At some point not so long ago, WSSL was a full class C.

Back
Top Bottom