• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Falcons (and other teams) radio flagships history

I checked and the Stripers are only on the WCON stream. Does WCON have an HD-2? What do they play the rest of the time?

The Glads are also only streaming now as well.
Their format is mostly classic country with some southern gospel sprinkled in. They are called My Country 99.3. HD2 plays soft AC 107-7 the Breeze W299AT Cornelia. HD3 plays contemporary Christian music.

How long was WSB-TV the home of the Dogs? I’m surprised they left for Fox 5
The TV rights to the game are in the SEC TV package.* Please correct me if am wrong, but I don't think there is a local TV "home" for the UGA football. There are a couple of Saturday Morning shows that "preview" or "pregame" Bulldog football. I am sure these are very profitable due to Georgia's large local fanbase and a sponsors that are UGA alumni.

*someone on the TV board has better knowledge of how the SEC network / ESPN / and OTA networks divvy up the games.

The HD feed is of The Joy FM network that is related to RTN. It feeds the 100.3 Gainesville translator. Joy Fm is Also on 88.9 Athens and on WLKQ HD 2 which feeds the 92.5 Lawrenceville translator

The TV rights to the game are in the SEC TV package.* Please correct me if am wrong, but I don't think there is a local TV "home" for the UGA football. There are a couple of Saturday Morning shows that "preview" or "pregame" Bulldog football. I am sure these are very profitable due to Georgia's large local fanbase and a sponsors that are UGA alumni.

*someone on the TV board has better knowledge of how the SEC network / ESPN / and OTA networks divvy up the games.
The rights mentioned I believe are branding rights, with perhaps special access as well. WAGA sports anchor, and former UGA QB is the sideline reporter on UGA radio broadcasts.

I heard a podcast with Zach Klein a few years ago and he mentioned their Saturday Morning Bulldog show had better ratings on WSB than Georgia Tech football games.

Currently, neither WSB or WAGA can broadcast SEC home games. The only broadcast network that can air them is CBS. This is the last year of the contract. Starting next year ESPN/ABC will be the sole holder of SEC rights, ABC will air some SEC home games.

I heard a podcast with Zach Klein a few years ago and he mentioned their Saturday Morning Bulldog show had better ratings on WSB than Georgia Tech football games.
It doesn't help Tech's cause when UGA sports are not just on WSB 750/WSBB-FM 95.5, but also 103.7 Chuck FM and I think WNGC 106.1. UGA fans have lots of FM listening options.

Tech sports are on the WCNN 680/93.7 AM/FM translator combo; 680 has hard nulls to the NE and NW at night, and 93.7 isn't easy to pick up in the NE quadrant. And that's when Tech sports aren't bumped to WFOM 1230/106.3 by a Braves game, neither of which are easy to pick up in the NE quadrant (and the 1230 local channel is limited to 1000W, and is full of interference at night).

I've taken to listening to all Tech games on my phone, where I can get the PxP crystal clear.

The ACC (not the SEC) did work out a deal with the CW to carry the third tier of ACC football games that aren't on a Disney (ABC/ESPN) network. This replaces the regional sports network (Fox/Sinclair/Bally) agreement that the ACC had prior. AFAIK the SEC doesn't have anything similar.

When the ACC struck their most recent agreement with the Mouse, there was a carveout for the third-tier games for Raycom, which had carried ACC games in syndication for decades. Raycom was also headed by the son of ACC commish John Swofford, which I am sure had nothing to do with anything. People have commented that the ACC-ESPN deal could have been a lot more beneficial for the ACC financially had this carveout not been insisted upon.

More recently, ATL-based Gray TV bought Raycom, and Gray also owns a lot of CW affiliates. When CBS and Warners sold off most of the CW, they also pulled affiliate agreements from their O&Os like WUPA in ATL. Gray (who had bought Peachtree TV WPCH Channel 17 from Meredith when Meredith got out of broadcasting; Meredith had bought Channel 17 from Time Warner) then affiliated Peachtree TV with the CW.

The ACC (not the SEC) did work out a deal with the CW to carry the third tier of ACC football games that aren't on a Disney (ABC/ESPN) network. This replaces the regional sports network (Fox/Sinclair/Bally) agreement that the ACC had prior. AFAIK the SEC doesn't have anything similar.

When the ACC struck their most recent agreement with the Mouse, there was a carveout for the third-tier games for Raycom, which had carried ACC games in syndication for decades. Raycom was also headed by the son of ACC commish John Swofford, which I am sure had nothing to do with anything. People have commented that the ACC-ESPN deal could have been a lot more beneficial for the ACC financially had this carveout not been insisted upon.

More recently, ATL-based Gray TV bought Raycom, and Gray also owns a lot of CW affiliates. When CBS and Warners sold off most of the CW, they also pulled affiliate agreements from their O&Os like WUPA in ATL. Gray (who had bought Peachtree TV WPCH Channel 17 from Meredith when Meredith got out of broadcasting; Meredith had bought Channel 17 from Time Warner) then affiliated Peachtree TV with the CW.
What is the"SEC" network that has had UT Vol football games in the past? It use to appear as an extra ESPN channel on Sling which I don't pay for. I guess CBS gets first pick of the SEC games. Does the SEC split the TV money evenly like the NFL?

What is the"SEC" network that has had UT Vol football games in the past? It use to appear as an extra ESPN channel on Sling which I don't pay for. I guess CBS gets first pick of the SEC games. Does the SEC split the TV money evenly like the NFL?
ESPN has an "SEC Network" and an "ACC Network".

CBS had part of the SEC games package for years (the top tier), but when that expires after this year it's all going to the Mouse.

I'm not sure how the Mouse allocates SEC and ACC games; I think they go in the following network hierarchy:
1) ABC
2) ESPN
3) ESPN 2
4) SEC Network/ACC Network

As I mentioned, CBS gets first pick of SEC games ending this year; the CW Raycom package gets the ACC leftovers.

I think the SEC divides its TV money evenly among the schools. The ACC I know does, which has been a bone of contention for bigger-drawing schools like FSU and Clemson. However, next year when Cal and Stanford join the ACC they will be getting a reduced share of the ACC TV money (specifically, the ACC Tier 1 TV money) for X years. Details are here Cal, Stanford to ACC: Schools believe move was needed for survival

SMU is also joining the ACC next year, and they are also taking a reduced payout of the ACC TV money (no ACC Tier 1 TV money) for X years. SMU celebrates return to power conference despite major concessions

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom