• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Even Kids listen to Oldies - What do the radio executives know

RicoGregg said:
KyDXIn said:
RicoGregg said:
KyDXIn said:
It wasn't a quote from anyone, just an affirmation that Elvis and the Beatles are the part of the oldies format.
DUH!
Next, you're going to tell us that the University of Kentucky plays college basketball, and that there's a big racetrack in Louisville! :D
Seems more like you've given up on this. Fine. You weren't exactly staying on topic anyway when you didn't have any facts, data, or other pertinent information, so you kept straying in order to try to cover up what you don't know in the first place. You addressed none of my on-topic items, so excuse me if I don't bother with your off-topic web sites, that have nothing to do with the original subject.
It's hard to argue when you don't have facts, isn't it?
You know, maybe you should have mentioned UK playing basketball, and the racetrack in Louisville. At least you'd have said something accurate! :D
Remember, I'm not the one who quit this debate.
Off topic?? You are the one who has mentioned basketball twice! What facts have you offered to this debate? Look at the subject line. It says "even kids listen to the oldies." I offered 3 cases and posted the links where you yourself could see where kids are being marketed to oldies music. Why would these companies market to kids if there wasn't some interest? What have you offered other than opinion?

Want more facts? Here is a link to the Arbitron ratings for all formats during the last decade. The latest survey shows the Oldies format received a 2.3 for Teens 12-17.

http://wargod.arbitron.com/scripts/ndb/fmttrends2.asp

KyDXIn said:
Want more facts? Here is a link to the Arbitron ratings for all formats during the last decade. The latest survey shows the Oldies format received a 2.3 for Teens 12-17.

And you will see even bigger shares in PPM, in all probability. That's because people "hear" stations they did not pick. Mom takes the kids to school, and listens to oldies on the way... the kids are registered as listeners.

RicoGregg said:
Yup. Oh Boy and Wait Till The Sun Shines Nellie were by Buddy Holly; Hot Dog was by Elvis (or the rockabilly version by Buck Owens).

...And I can't tell you the number of times that I've heard those songs on the radio, mainly because I've NEVER HEARD those songs on the radio, and I've been listening to the radio since the 1950s!

I'll bet I can't find a chart position for those songs, either.

Ouch!! NEVER mention "charts" on this board. The radio guys will go ballistic.

Glad to see you back in this, KyDxIn. Thought you had given up.

Let's go over some of your fine points, shall we?....

Remember, the subject is "Kids listen to Oldies".

"Then I guess Disney is wasting it's time going after the 'High School Musical' crowd and the Hannah Montana fans."

"Hannah Montana made $31 million on one movie in a 3 day period. You can't dismiss the tween market."

Counterpoint:

1) No one was dismissing the tween market at all.

2) Q: Is the popularity of HSM & Miley Cyrus due to any Oldies stations? A: No.

3) If the tween market is flocking to HSM & Hannah Montana in very large numbers, then wouldn't it be a contradiction to say that they also love Oldies? You're talking genres that are nearly 180 degrees apart. Disney itself stopped showing it's venerable Vault Disney programming of classic old Disney shows because the audience for it was too old!

"....parents want family-friendly entertainment in their lives. I believe that is the reason so many Christian stations are also on the air now."

So where are the cross-listening numbers between Radio Disney and Christian radio? Much programming on "Christian" stations is nothing but political propaganda in religious clothing. Is that "family-friendly"? I personally wouldn't want my kids listening to Focus on the Family. IMO, James Dobson is a troublemaker.

In your last post, you yourself said that Oldies was in the subject line. So why even bring Christian radio into this?

"The kids don't pay the bills for the service, but the parents pay the bills to have the service around in part for the kids."

Your key words were "in part." When the kids are asleep, or away on a holiday, just what might the parents be watching? I'll bet some of it is programming that they don't want their kids seeing.

If you're an advertiser, who do you want to reach, the kids who don't pay the bills, or the parents that do?

"I believe that, in summary, Christian and Oldies formats can be classified as family-friendly formats, therefore parents have the format playing in their households and cars, therefore, kids are listening."

Congratulations! You actually said something right for a change. Read your own words here: Kids are listening BECAUSE parents have the format playing. In other words, they probably didn't have any choice! In addition to controlling the money, parents usually control the radios, especially inside of cars.

"The fact is marketers are making products for kids using oldies music, therefore kids are listening to the oldies."

(snicker) Like they have a choice. I don't think that the marketers asked kids what music they should be playing in their ads. The fact of the matter is, ad agencies have always done that. When I was a kid in the 50s, and watching Groucho Marx on You Bet Your Life in first run, one of the main sponsors was DeSoto. That's an old Chrysler brand of automobile, in case you don't know. The song they played in their ads was "It's De-Lovely", which even back then was way before my time. It was written by Rodgers & Hart in the 1930s. And, they were playing to adults, not kids. In ads that were aimed at us Baby Boomers, older music was used, but we kids didn't know that. It went right past us. In most cases, kids are focused on the product, not the decorative music, which is mainly for background purposes.

KyDXIn said:
Off topic?? You are the one who has mentioned basketball twice! What facts have you offered to this debate? Look at the subject line. It says "even kids listen to the oldies." I offered 3 cases and posted the links where you yourself could see where kids are being marketed to oldies music. Why would these companies market to kids if there wasn't some interest? What have you offered other than opinion?

1) YOU are the one who mentioned Christian radio, Disney, Hannah Montana, High School Musical, websites, sandboxes, movie grosses, and incorrect names, among other things.

2) How is marketing to kids related to kids listening to Oldies? The two are mutually exclusive. Advertisers don't market to kids on Oldies stations. Pure and simple.

3) I think I've offered more than opinion, but to use your own words, you wouldn't understand that.

4) Since you've mentioned Disney so much, why didn't you respond to David Eduardo's valid question about Radio Disney's billing rank in Los Angeles?

"You lose your argument. Case closed."

ha ha ha ha ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha HA HA HA HA HA! I don't think so! Don't worry though, I'm laughing WITH you, not AT you. Yeah, right!

I have to agree I bet parent usually have control most of the time when it comes to radio while in the car. Now would a parent really want to listen to music from today. Also someone put a link where there was a chart with ratings. Well the oldies on that chart said mainly 70s and 80s. That era for music is not that old.

RicoGregg said:
Glad to see you back in this, KyDxIn. Thought you had given up.
Let's go over some of your fine points, shall we?....
Remember, the subject is "Kids listen to Oldies".
"Then I guess Disney is wasting it's time going after the 'High School Musical' crowd and the Hannah Montana fans."
"Hannah Montana made $31 million on one movie in a 3 day period. You can't dismiss the tween market."
Counterpoint:
1) No one was dismissing the tween market at all.
2) Q: Is the popularity of HSM & Miley Cyrus due to any Oldies stations? A: No.
3) If the tween market is flocking to HSM & Hannah Montana in very large numbers, then wouldn't it be a contradiction to say that they also love Oldies? You're talking genres that are nearly 180 degrees apart. Disney itself stopped showing it's venerable Vault Disney programming of classic old Disney shows because the audience for it was too old!
"....parents want family-friendly entertainment in their lives. I believe that is the reason so many Christian stations are also on the air now."
So where are the cross-listening numbers between Radio Disney and Christian radio? Much programming on "Christian" stations is nothing but political propaganda in religious clothing. Is that "family-friendly"? I personally wouldn't want my kids listening to Focus on the Family. IMO, James Dobson is a troublemaker.
In your last post, you yourself said that Oldies was in the subject line. So why even bring Christian radio into this?
"The kids don't pay the bills for the service, but the parents pay the bills to have the service around in part for the kids."
Your key words were "in part." When the kids are asleep, or away on a holiday, just what might the parents be watching? I'll bet some of it is programming that they don't want their kids seeing.
If you're an advertiser, who do you want to reach, the kids who don't pay the bills, or the parents that do?
"I believe that, in summary, Christian and Oldies formats can be classified as family-friendly formats, therefore parents have the format playing in their households and cars, therefore, kids are listening."
Congratulations! You actually said something right for a change. Read your own words here: Kids are listening BECAUSE parents have the format playing. In other words, they probably didn't have any choice! In addition to controlling the money, parents usually control the radios, especially inside of cars.
"The fact is marketers are making products for kids using oldies music, therefore kids are listening to the oldies."
(snicker) Like they have a choice. I don't think that the marketers asked kids what music they should be playing in their ads. The fact of the matter is, ad agencies have always done that. When I was a kid in the 50s, and watching Groucho Marx on You Bet Your Life in first run, one of the main sponsors was DeSoto. That's an old Chrysler brand of automobile, in case you don't know. The song they played in their ads was "It's De-Lovely", which even back then was way before my time. It was written by Rodgers & Hart in the 1930s. And, they were playing to adults, not kids. In ads that were aimed at us Baby Boomers, older music was used, but we kids didn't know that. It went right past us. In most cases, kids are focused on the product, not the decorative music, which is mainly for background purposes.
KyDXIn said:
1) YOU are the one who mentioned Christian radio, Disney, Hannah Montana, High School Musical, websites, sandboxes, movie grosses, and incorrect names, among other things.
2) How is marketing to kids related to kids listening to Oldies? The two are mutually exclusive. Advertisers don't market to kids on Oldies stations. Pure and simple.
3) I think I've offered more than opinion, but to use your own words, you wouldn't understand that.
4) Since you've mentioned Disney so much, why didn't you respond to David Eduardo's valid question about Radio Disney's billing rank in Los Angeles?
"You lose your argument. Case closed."
ha ha ha ha ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha HA HA HA HA HA! I don't think so! Don't worry though, I'm laughing WITH you, not AT you. Yeah, right!
Nope, I didn't give up, just been working, living a life, and haven't had time to respond. Glad you've had so much time to pick apart everything. I don't even know where to begin, and neither do I have time to do so, so in respect to my oldie counterpart, I hope you've had fun. So glad I don't have to deal with you in person.

KyDXIn said:
Nope, I didn't give up, just been working, living a life, and haven't had time to respond.

Perfectly understandable. We all have our busy time frames. Everybody in the world who is alive and breathing is living a life. Glad to know you're only human.

Glad you've had so much time to pick apart everything. I don't even know where to begin, and neither to I have time to do so,

It didn't take long. I spent years as a proofreader, so I'm kind of used to breaking things down. I know that people basically have short attention spans, and, I had to be somewhere later that night. Don't worry about where to begin. There's no deadline about posting or responding. When you've got the time and the gumption, you just point out where you think I'm wrong, and counterpoint me. That's all. I'll be glad to respond.

so in respect to my oldie counterpart, I hope you've had fun. So glad I don't have to deal with you in person.

I did. I thoroughly enjoyed the exchange. No matter the topic matter, the idea of message boards is to have fun, not to recreate the Lincoln-Douglas Debates. Where some people mess up is that they start taking things personally, then things can get out of hand. At least one former R-I poster has been permanently banned for threatening violence at someone he disagreed with.

There was nothing I said at you that was meant for you to take personally. The "discussion" we were having was NEVER about winning or losing. Going by one of your earlier posts, you apparently never understood that.

I'd hate to see you spend even a day in a place like New York City, L.A., or Chicago. In places like that, your friends talk to you far worse than your enemies would.

If you can't handle me on a message board, well, anything I'd say after that would be pure speculation, and happily, that is not my concern.

Happy Posting.

I found my passion for oldies music when I was 10 years old in 1999. My parents liked listening to oldies and AC, and I grew fond of it. I used to listen to Magic 98.3's Saturday Night Magic Memories show with 50s-early 70s oldies, and I grew fond of the doo-wop they played. I remember hearing kids calling in to that show. I didn't like it when they canceled the show in 2002, and then another 50s/60s oldies station, 94.5 WNJO flipped to Classic Rock. So around that time, I started getting into CHR and dance, but I still love oldies even at the age of 20. For me, Big Girls Don't Cry is by the Four Seasons, not Fergie.
Even now, there are a few oldies songs that kids recognize (Locomotion, Lollipop, The Lion Sleeps Tonight, The Name Game, etc)
It seems hard to believe that kids in the 50s and 60s thought that doo-wop was "cool" to listen to, just like kids today think hip-hop is cool. Back then, the only sources of music were records and a few AM stations in the day, and a lot of AM stations from big cities at night.
Some of the kids who enjoy oldies now will be programming an Adult Standards station when they grow up. I hope the music doesn't die with the generation that grew up with them.

Nick said:
It seems hard to believe that kids in the 50s and 60s thought that doo-wop was "cool" to listen to, just like kids today think hip-hop is cool.

Hey Nick I agree with your post except the main difference between doowop and hiphop is doowop was in regular English and a listener could understand every single word sung!! :D

SuperRadioFan said:
Nick said:
It seems hard to believe that kids in the 50s and 60s thought that doo-wop was "cool" to listen to, just like kids today think hip-hop is cool.

Hey Nick I agree with your post except the main difference between doowop and hiphop is doowop was in regular English and a listener could understand every single word sung!! :D

O.K. Explain "Shambolar" by Sheriff & the Ravels or "Rubber Biscuit" by the Chips.

You know, i'm looking at this topic - it's turning into a joke... ???

say what, Rico? You've got to explain that one to me... :-*

RicoGregg said:
Foist, if you love Oldies, are over 50, and you don't know who Alan Freed was, shame on you!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Freed

Or, please see the 1978 film, American Hot Wax.

Second, my statement was a play on the old saying, "From your mouth to God's ear."

Hey, Rico, a couple of things:
1) I LOVE oldies!
2) I'm UNDER 50 (but turning so in April...)
3) I KNOW who Alan Freed is so there is NO shame on me WHATSOEVER
4) I have seen American Hot Wax
5) Now I understand your statement :-*

Andrea

no no no, dude!! Back in the 50's, "wax" was a slang term for records, usually used as part of the phrase "stacks of wax"... 8)

Andrea

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom