• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

EMF: K-Love and Chrisitian Radio Fundraising (Moved from Buffalo Board)

Do these recent posts count as an invocation of Godwin's Law?
Cllose to it, but nobody has mentioned the führer by name yet, so we have a way to go,

What the gun nuts do here is proclaim the second half of the Second Amendment calls for unlimited guns for every man, woman and child in all places at all times with no restrictions whatsoever, or we're not "free". I don't feel that free, I feel more like a hostage
The subject here was EMF specifically and non-commercial radio in general. It has degenerated into an obtuse discussion of abortion rights and gun ownership.

Most of the gun discussions seem to come from people with little experience living outside the United States and limited experience in the laws and regulations of other nations.
We just had a family be murdered by the husband and father (in Chattanooga). Even with a protective order, he had 60 guns. A Red Flag law would have taken them away, at least temporarily.
And we see that kind of situation all over the world. The drug cartels in Mexico, Colombia, Peru, Ecuador and other nations in this hemisphere have built their own weapons factories and are becoming more and more sophisticated in their armaments.
There's a proposal for a special session to address gun violence, which includes a red flag law, but will probably be defeated because :"ABSOLUTELY NO GUN REGULATION WHATSOEVER".
The valid and common argument is that such regulation will mostly restrict people from gaining access to defensive weapons, while the cartel and crime confederations will further enhance their own abilities to make and sell guns and armaments.
They'd rather 9-year-old be carrying loaded guns into class because "more guns more guns more guns" is the solution to anything. Permitless carry floods the state with guns and people who don't know how to use or store them.
And that is a valid point, but has to be considered along with the proliferation of weapons produced by or distributed by the drug cartels and crime syndicates.

The subject here, though, has to do with different broadcast perspectives and... so far... the right to free speech and individual opinions prevails.

I did not say that and you know it.

What I did say is that the belief that gun violence is restricted to the United States and somehow related to political party affiliation is a concept founded in a total lack of knowledge of what goes on in other countries and cultures. And I gave an example... and could give many more based on just my experiences and those of my friends in the countries where I have worked during my career.

I suppose I could write a paragraph or two about how the shallow network and local news coverage has become in the US, and point a finger at how uninformed the average person is since the FCC dropped news and public affairs quotas, but then, today, we'd find all the eyes and ears moving even faster too vacuous streaming sources...
Gun violence is a problem in the US, though. When it comes to party affiliation, one offers no solutions whatsoever except some crazy ones (arm teachers, for instance.)

Not a good look. he already explained his point of view in this thread quite clearly. If we're going to have a debate about religion then all opinions should be allowed without the threat of censorship. That's a role that should be reserved for the church since they're the pros at it.
Churches in the United States are granted both freedom of ideas and freedom from taxation. In repressive societies, taxation and related regulation have been used to limit divergent ideas and concepts. In other words, "if you don't like what they are saying, find a way to tax or restrict them that does not impinge on their concepts and beliefs but which restricts their ability to prosper."

Obviously, a totally unfettered religious domination of ideas gets us to the state of the Holy Inquisition or, at the other end of the extremes, the "moral cleansing" of Pol Pot: one was from "The Church" and the other from the total absence of a faith-based system.

Media in the US, particularly that which requires federal licensing, enjoys little or no restriction on precepts and concepts; the granting of tax-free status avoids incursions into those rights. But to avoid government "technical interference" based on laws and regulations, all faith based systems have to be unfettered by such requirements.

Within the scope of this board, we have to accept that there will be a diversity of voices on radio and television and that many will not reflect our personal beliefs.

This is a valid discussion point as long as we recognize that divergent opinions are a positive stimulus to the process of advancing society. That broadcasters are not restricted in the scope of their subject matter will always cause some people at opposite extremes of the thought spectrum to demand restrictions and limitations.

In other words, we evolve backwards towards another discussion of concepts like the Fairness Doctrine, Equal Time and other considerations that only electronic media in the US is... or has been... subject... or subjected... to.

Gun violence is a problem in the US, though. When it comes to party affiliation, one offers no solutions whatsoever except some crazy ones (arm teachers, for instance.)
I agree, maybe from a different perspective, but definitely in concept.

It's too far off from the subject matter of this forum to discuss why the Constitution granted the right to bear arms. But the subject of radio and TV content, news coverage and discussion points touches this directly as a present time issue.

So we have to discuss this, here, in the context of radio, TV and "the media". This is not a constitutional law forum and Frank and I as well as the rest of the moderation team have to keep discussion within the confines of how subject matters relate to electronic media.

Wow! This thread has really gotten off-topic. That said, would it make the strict constructionist happy if we just banned all guns designs developed after 1789?

Faith and Science are different animals. Some people of "Faith" believe the world is only 5000 years old and that the Sun rotates around the Earth. Science has proven those claims false. Faith allows people to mold God into any form they choose. The multitude of religions all offer different interpretations of God. The whole premise that God would let an innocent man be crucified and tortured for others crimes is a bit twisted. Everyone else then gets a free pass for all manner of atrocities as long as they "accept Jesus in the end". Doesn't sound like justice to me.

EMF is one of many corporations that will use religion to advance their agenda. They get tax breaks and get to hide behind religion. They are happy to relieve people of their money. A former employee of the Mormon church went on 60 MINUTES to discuss widespread fraud and malfeasance in that organization...

On the subject of "the business of religion", the domines are falling for the cash strapped Hillsong...

ARC at Festival Hall photo by Bron Robinson Hillsong Sells Its Soul for Rock and Roll – Festival Hall Is Back

"
Melbourne’s iconic Festival Hall is back in the hands of the music industry with Live Nation taking over the management of the historic venue now owned by Hillsong Corp.

At a function in Melbourne last night, Live Nation Asia Pacific President Roger Field officially reopened the venue for the music industry.

Hillsong, a business that profits from Religion, bought the building in 2020 for $23 million. Over the decades Sex Pistols, Ozzy Osbourne, Ian Dury, Foo Fighters, Radiohead and the demon himself Gene Simmons, have performed at Festival Hall."

In the same way, radio stations could hire musicologists and historians as DJs, but then who would listen?
Good point. I remember when there was considerable discussion of the news style of CKLW and the delivery of people like Byron MacGregor, criticizing what some considered to be "the dramatization of news", using delivery, vocabulary and story selection whereby newscasts sounded like gangster movies. Critics demanded a more serious and respectful treatment of news but listeners found it entertaining and exciting.

And far too many people say the Holocaust was a hoax. Hitler also built the Autobahn, so he did some good stuff, right? The line gets blurred pretty easily when a former President says "good people on both sides" referring to people carrying Nazi flags and spewing nonsensical vitriol...
Again, my point is that there are extremes in all directions. When a nation efficiently does not limit free speech, we will get some pretty outlandish perspectives at the edges.

And, yeah, there are deniers on all sides. My first girlfriend in Ecuador had a number tattooed on her forearm, product of her birth in a "camp" in German-occupied Europe and, still, people say none of that happened. Those who repeat such denials over and over believe that they can eventually erase history.

The problem lies in any attempt to establish boundaries for acceptable discussion. As soon as you start, you open the door for "a little bit more" until boundaries of propriety become the restrictions of censorship.

Again, my point is that there are extremes in all directions. When a nation efficiently does not limit free speech, we will get some pretty outlandish perspectives at the edges.
The underlying issue at this point in history is the outlandish have become the core for one party trying to force others to abide by their values, and quite effectively using electronic media to turn the country into Gilead.

First step was the long sough after control of women’s bodies, railed about in the media for decades. Having finally achieved that goal, it’s hardly surprising they have pivoted their media attention to relentless, bigoted attacks on the LGBTQIA community.

That is not true. I consider myself a republican and conservative. I'm for freedom, from the books you can read to what a woman can do with her body, stupidity and I even say posters stating straight out lies have the right.

The way I see it with EMF is they provide a product it seems quite a few like The fact they are expanding demonstrates this For those people they get from EMF something of value worth paying for. If you subscribe to Christianity or not, it's working for them.

I can tell you the extremes from both sides get the attention but that number is small compared to the number who are moderate in their views both politically and as far as religion goes. My comment is what would these people be like without Christian influences? Christian teachings are based on love and freedom...it's some men that royally screw it up, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I still have trouble understanding their profit/non profit status...maybe someone smarter than I can explain exactly how it works...

Talk to a lawyer. It's all about tax status with the IRS:

Running a nonprofit is basic: All the money you take in is ground back into the business. As opposed to being distributed to partners or stockholders.

Last edited:
That is not true. I consider myself a republican and conservative. I'm for freedom, from the books you can read to what a woman can do with her body, stupidity and I even say posters stating straight out lies have the right.

The way I see it with EMF is they provide a product it seems quite a few like The fact they are expanding demonstrates this For those people they get from EMF something of value worth paying for. If you subscribe to Christianity or not, it's working for them.

I can tell you the extremes from both sides get the attention but that number is small compared to the number who are moderate in their views both politically and as far as religion goes. My comment is what would these people be like without Christian influences? Christian teachings are based on love and freedom...it's some men that royally screw it up, in my opinion.

If that is true about the Republicans, than the moderates need to get their party back. I keep hearing that everyone who doesn't toe the Trump/MTG/Boebert/Jordan line are "RINOs" and now members of the "Uniparty".

My comment is what would these people be like without Christian influences? Christian teachings are based on love and freedom...it's some men that royally screw it up, in my opinion.

Christian teachings may talk about love and freedom but in reality we can see how it's all about hate, bigotry and control. Religion is also reasonable for most wars on earth, both now and throughout the history of mankind.

Good point. I remember when there was considerable discussion of the news style of CKLW and the delivery of people like Byron MacGregor, criticizing what some considered to be "the dramatization of news", using delivery, vocabulary and story selection whereby newscasts sounded like gangster movies. Critics demanded a more serious and respectful treatment of news but listeners found it entertaining and exciting.
CKLW 20-20 News did several things right, especially writing, and getting eyewitnesses on the air (which was what the weekly cash award (never specified) and the $1000 prize for the best news tip of the year was all about. Even when the Big 8 became more of a hot adult contemporary "8" and mellowed out the news presentation, that part remained. For those who never heard it, I present this:

gr8oldies you are listening to the fringe...the ones making noise. I don't identify with that group.

Theatre of The Mind - you are correct. Christians have put up the money to do lots of good things around the globe. Ask somebody from the Maldives and they'll say Christians wiped out a few deadly diseases in their nation. There are many other such examples. And yes, wars too but isn't that most any religion? I was visiting a friends store and Way FM (like EMF) was playing as they were raising money for Save The Children.

It's sort of amusing to see all the negativity some seem to wallow in with glee. I always wonder what will be the next victim.

The underlying issue at this point in history is the outlandish have become the core for one party trying to force others to abide by their values, and quite effectively using electronic media to turn the country into Gilead.
It's kinda' funny that the folks on the right see those on the left as trying to do the same thing.

As I mentioned many times before, a group of journalists in Ecuador would meet for a meal and a brew or two after every big local event had merited coverage internationally. We'd compare everything from TASS to Prensa Latina to AP, UPI, AFP and Reuters as well as print publications like Time from the US and Der Spiegel from Germany. Each had a different perspective on the same news event. Some were so focused on an embedded socio-political reality that those of us who saw the news item "live" in front of us could not recognize it.

My point is that everyone sees events and trends through the lens of their fundamental beliefs. Everything is colored by individual perspectives and the points of view of groups we have become a part of.

For example, when one group sees women's rights, another sees the rights of the unborn being. Finding common ground it difficult in such cases. Another example, often subject of radio talk shows, is the extent to which the unemployed should be supported... such as giving benefits to undocumented immigrants... where there is little common ground on which to compromise.

Back
Top Bottom