• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Educational Media Foundation plans To Move To Nashville

I'm not surprised. I figured this could eventually happen when K-LOVE put a station in Nashville and eventually moved their morning show there.

I'm not surprised. I figured this could eventually happen when K-LOVE put a station in Nashville and eventually moved their morning show there.
Add in how the staff will have a lower cost of living including lower state income taxes, much lower housing costs and overall lower expenses from gasoline to food.

CA has difficult regulations on business, and is not exactly a positive environment for Christian values.

If I were at EMF I'd be worried that state laws would make it hard to exclude "non believers" from the labor pool and that, in general, the state legislature is not going to favor organizations like them.

That was the morning show.

Add in how the staff will have a lower cost of living including lower state income taxes, much lower housing costs and overall lower expenses from gasoline to food.

CA has difficult regulations on business, and is not exactly a positive environment for Christian values.

If I were at EMF I'd be worried that state laws would make it hard to exclude "non believers" from the labor pool and that, in general, the state legislature is not going to favor organizations like them.
Nothing to worry about in Tennessee (especially if they don't locate in Nashville proper). The legislature is going for complete theocracy, not to mention unlimited permit-free guns. No income tax, high sales tax.

As I dug through this board, I also see a thread about Family Radio moving to Nashville from December 2019:

The confusing part about this story is Family Radio just shut down WFME New York, and the FCC paperwork still lists their address as being in California.

But yes, it seems that all the religious folks are moving to Nashville. The evangelicals will soon outnumber the Baptists.

As I dug through this board, I also see a thread about Family Radio moving to Nashville from December 2019:

The confusing part about this story is Family Radio just shut down WFME New York, and the FCC paperwork still lists their address as being in California.

But yes, it seems that all the religious folks are moving to Nashville. The evangelicals will soon outnumber the Baptists.
Dave Ramsey is already in Nashville, I'm told Ben Shapiro has moved his operation there. A lot of folks moving to Tennessee apparently for our Trump-worshipping politics

If you listen to K-Love you can see that it is non-sectarian Christian, and could be equally enjoyed by dedicated Baptists, evangelicals or Presbyterians, for that matter. Since they do no Preaching-&-Teaching, it is really Christian AC and could probably even be enjoyed by a Catholic or two!

Last edited:
If you listen to K-Love you can see that it is non-sectarian Christian, and could be equally enjoyed by dedicated Baptists, evangelicals or Presbyterians, for that matter. Since they do no Preaching-&-Teaching, it is really Christian AC and could probably even be enjoyed by a Catholic or two!
The same goes for WAY-FM. They stay pretty well non-denominational and non-political. And not all evangelicals are part of the Trump cult.

The underlying theology is still Evangelical, even if it's downplayed.

The successful Christian music stations are those with no preaching/teaching, are music intensive and follow the same formulas used in secular formats. In fact, a good number of the air talent came from competitive secular radio. They are after as many listeners as they can get, so they don't talk about things that divide or create controversy. The listener base is very broad from very evangelical or rigid to the more liberal denominations.

I was speaking with a lady that sold for a Catholic formatted pair of stations. She said her Catholic radio listeners pretty much split their radio listening time evenly among the K-Love & Air One stations.

From a programming standpoint, many listeners are the typical churchgoers who hear the same songs the church band plays and the congregation sings or listens to during services. Imagine any other music type where your listeners watch or are involved in the performance of the songs you play on the air. That's a pretty powerful aspect for your format.

Family Radio was a Bay Area Group but they still have KEAR-AM as their flagship station on 610 AM.

Here is where KLOVE's flagship station in Sacramento on KLVB.

Somewhat related to this is that the Dove Awards typically take place in Nashville, the Gospel Music Association (the people behind the Dove Awards) are in Nashville, and the major CCM record labels are based in Nashville (or the area). I think Provident has offices in suburban Franklin. But Word Records are right on Music Row, across the street from historic RCA Studios. Some of the biggest CCM musicians live in the area as well. So there are numerous reasons for them to be based there.

But also there have been music labels that have some of their management in Nashville as a way to reduce expenses of doing a recording production in the San Fernando Valley area such as Burbank and Glendale.

As gr8oldies has become Nashville’s beacon of positive comments, but doesn’t live here or have a clue about anything that is Nashville circa 2021, the reason this company is moving to one of America’s most progressive cities includes favorable working and living conditions and a very attractive agreement to have nice headquarters in a really nice building with glass and walls and the ability to get closer to better promotion and production facilities and the majority of the US population. If the offer had come from say, I dunno, Seattle or Washington DC, then what would you say? Cause those two cities were also in the running, along with some others.

As gr8oldies has become Nashville’s beacon of positive comments, but doesn’t live here or have a clue about anything that is Nashville circa 2021, the reason this company is moving to one of America’s most progressive cities includes favorable working and living conditions and a very attractive agreement to have nice headquarters in a really nice building with glass and walls and the ability to get closer to better promotion and production facilities and the majority of the US population. If the offer had come from say, I dunno, Seattle or Washington DC, then what would you say? Cause those two cities were also in the running, along with some others.
I don't live in Nashville it is true, but I live in the state and have been watching our very regressive legislature, which is passing anti-LGBT, pro-theocracy and Trumpist culture war legislation. They honored Candace Owens for moving here the other day, for heaven's sake. As progressive as Nashville is, can it overcome the state?

As gr8oldies has become Nashville’s beacon of positive comments, but doesn’t live here or have a clue about anything that is Nashville circa 2021, the reason this company is moving to one of America’s most progressive cities...

Hey Tibbs! I know this thread says EMF plans to move to Nashville, but I should point out that it doesn't have to be the city of Nashville. Currently, EMF has offices on Cool Springs Boulevard in Franklin TN. The press release in the OP says the company is looking to build its headquarters, rather than occupy an existing building. My sense is the final location will be in Franklin or that area south of Nashville, perhaps near where Ramsey Solutions is based.

The decision is “close” on the final location, BigA. Let’s just take your hunch and run with it. Brentwood and/or Franklin are fairly conservative, as would be expected given the substantial wealth and average home prices.

Before Einstein from East TN chimes in with his continued blasting of non-necessary shovel-worthy “commentary” that applies to nada on this move from heavenly locations that everyone is running like hell from, Williamson County has even fewer residents that are originals than Nashville proper.

Details to follow and it’s gonna be a nice building that isn’t a temple of bankruptcy doom like some other large companies in town.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom