• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Disney to furlough nonessential employees across company,

What might be more likely is a regional lockdown, where a particular city or metro area shuts down for a few weeks if they have a hot spot, like the San Francisco Bay area did before the Governor expanded it statewide.

So how do you do that with a vacation destination where most of the people come from outside the area?

The economy will re-open in some form long before there's a vaccine or pharmaceutical cure. Just putting that out there, because a lot of people seem to think the status quo will persist for months. It will not.

What might be more likely is a regional lockdown, where a particular city or metro area shuts down for a few weeks if they have a hot spot, like the San Francisco Bay area did before the Governor expanded it statewide.

How do you define "regional lockdown" though is it by Census designated area or by DMA? Solano County, CA just happens to be on the border of two different census areas (Sacramento and San Francisco Bay Area)

https://solanoedc.org/data-center/data/labor-force

https://solanoedc.org/data-center/data/demographics/

How do you define "regional lockdown" though is it by Census designated area or by DMA? Solano County, CA just happens to be on the border of two different census areas (Sacramento and San Francisco Bay Area)

By whatever means necessary. Viruses don't care about any predefined borders, Nielsen, Census Bureau or otherwise.

So how do you do that with a vacation destination where most of the people come from outside the area?

What I'd like to see happen: If you're in the closed area, and you test negative, you can go home.
What will probably happen: You just go home.

The economy will re-open in some form long before there's a vaccine or pharmaceutical cure. Just putting that out there, because a lot of people seem to think the status quo will persist for months. It will not.

The economy might reopen but will people spend money or go into big crowds anytime soon.

Six Flags and Cedar Fair parks attract mostly local/regional crowds unlike Disney and Universal that attract global crowds, they might be able to open earlier, maybe not May probably sooner than Disney

Ohio's making people who've been out of state quarantine for 2 weeks, though it would take checkpoints to make it happen. That wouldn't be good for places like Gatlinburg/Smoky Mountains.

By whatever means necessary. Viruses don't care about any predefined borders, Nielsen, Census Bureau or otherwise.

What I'd like to see happen: If you're in the closed area, and you test negative, you can go home.
What will probably happen: You just go home.

The resources needed to enforce it would be (near) impossible to allocate. You can make the threat, but once you open up the tourist magnets you will lose control. The threat will be a paper tiger.

I have it from a reliable source, that Disney construction projects are still working on schedule in the Parks and Resorts. As with many States, construction workers are considered essential-employees. Grounds maintenance and animal care givers are also working 24/7, but with reduced staff on shifts.

Didn't they suspend construction? Down in Anaheim, Disney California Adventure was supposed to open their Avengers Campus in July. (They already have a Guardians of the Galaxy ride which replaced the old Twilight Zone Tower of Terror.) That got suspended according to this:
https://www.cnet.com/news/disneylands-avengers-campus-launch-delayed-amid-coronavirus-closures/

In Florida, I know that Animal Kingdom caregivers are still in there feeding the animals.

Didn't they suspend construction? Down in Anaheim, Disney California Adventure was supposed to open their Avengers Campus in July. (They already have a Guardians of the Galaxy ride which replaced the old Twilight Zone Tower of Terror.) That got suspended according to this:
https://www.cnet.com/news/disneylands-avengers-campus-launch-delayed-amid-coronavirus-closures/

In Florida, I know that Animal Kingdom caregivers are still in there feeding the animals.

AJ here, is really dialed-into all things Disney Parks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npHjpgMoJ58

Today tens of thousands of park cast members and non-essential employees at Disney began their furlough stage. Expect FL and CA unemployment to be swamped tomorrow if it already hasn't been the past 2 weeks.

I notice they are still raising the American flag every morning at the Disneyland park even though it's closed indefinitely. A sign that better days will come and families will once again return to these magical places. With Bob Iger on Gov. Newsom's economic task force, I expect there will be a definite layout soon of what will happen once the parks return. Cap limits, what events are cancelled, if masks/temp checks/etc are required etc.

I expect there will be a definite layout soon of what will happen once the parks return. Cap limits, what events are cancelled, if masks/temp checks/etc are required etc.

To me, the biggest issue isn't the parks but the hotels. It will be a while before I check into a hotel again.

To me, the biggest issue isn't the parks but the hotels. It will be a while before I check into a hotel again.

Hotels and planes and Ubers for me.

I had to cancel a trip to Bolivia for a new client, and now it looks like the planned new station will never get on the air, anyway.

I had no desire to take a 5 hour trip to MIA and then 8 or 9 hours to Bolivia even before the pandemic. Now you could not pay me to make that trip.

It would be a very long time before I go to a park like that, or a hotel. Too many people in close quarters. No way to disinfect those surfaces in short order.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...criticises-company-over-15bn-bonuses-cuts-pay

Abigail Disney has issued a statement on the Disney Inc's furloughs and cuts.

An heir to the Walt Disney fortune has criticised the company for protecting executive bonuses and dividends of more than $1.5bn (£1.2bn) while cutting the pay of more than 100,000 workers to help weather the financial impact of coronavirus.

Abigail Disney, an Emmy award-winning film-maker and a granddaughter of the company’s co-founder Roy Disney, launched a Twitter tirade against the world’s biggest entertainment group over its treatment of employees.

Disney, who in the past has criticised the lucrative pay packages of the executive chairman, Bob Iger, said the $1.5bn in typical dividend payouts would keep staff paid for months.

“That’d pay for three months’ salary to frontline workers,” she said. “And it’s going to people who have already been collecting egregious bonuses for years. Dividends aren’t all bad, given the number of fixed-income folks who rely on them. But still 80% of shares are owned by the wealthiest 10%. Pay the people who make the magic happen with respect and dignity they have more than earned from you. This company must do better.”

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom