• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Disney to furlough nonessential employees across company,

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/di...cross-company-including-at-disneyland-resort/

Just like other media outlets furlough's and layoffs have been taking place this week due to the COVID-19 fallout. Also the Disney Parks have been closed for some time because Disney inc has to comply with California's Shelter in place orders.

Disney announced on Thursday the company will be instituting a short-term furlough for executive, salaried, and non-union hourly employees based in the U.S. effective April 19.

The furloughs will impact employees that work in the Disney Parks, Experiences and Products division of the company, which includes the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim. Some employees whose roles are deemed crucial to maintaining operations at the company will not be impacted.

Disneyland and Disney California Adventure have been shuttered since mid-March, and the resort recently said the theme parks would be closed "until further notice." Downtown Disney and Disney hotels have also been temporarily shuttered.

Employees, also known as cast members, will be paid through April 18, according to a statement from the company.

Disney said it will maintain health and insurance benefits coverage for its employees, “with the company paying both the employer and employee weekly benefit contributions

Not TV or Radio-related...yet. These furloughs mainly affect the theme parks, hotels, cruise line, and branded products.

"The furloughs will impact employees that work in the Disney Parks, Experiences and Products division of the company, which includes the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim."

Not TV or Radio-related...yet. These furloughs mainly affect the theme parks, hotels, cruise line, and branded products.

Disney has four parks outside of the country as well. The cruise line (I know people who've used it) must be a huge mess right now.

Disney has four parks outside of the country as well. The cruise line (I know people who've used it) must be a huge mess right now.

In the interest of disclosure, I'm a Disney shareholder..

Given the out of country parks are not technically owned by Disney, I wonder what the guidance is when it comes to closing those parks? I know that Disney has a lot of final say, including ownership percentages, but I wonder if there is verbiage in the licensing and contracts involved that says Disney has the final say as to whether a park is closed or open?

Given the out of country parks are not technically owned by Disney, I wonder what the guidance is when it comes to closing those parks? I know that Disney has a lot of final say, including ownership percentages, but I wonder if there is verbiage in the licensing and contracts involved that says Disney has the final say as to whether a park is closed or open?

Disneyland Paris is owned by Disney just like Disneyland and WDW. I have no idea what their say is in operating the other international parks.

In the parks in Europe and Asia, they are subject to the national government dictates in whatever country they are located. In such cases, it does not matter who the shareholders are but, instead, what the government says.

In the parks in Europe and Asia, they are subject to the national government dictates in whatever country they are located. In such cases, it does not matter who the shareholders are but, instead, what the government says.

In fact, Disneyland Paris has been closed for several weeks already:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/11104353/closed-coronavirus-disneyland-paris/

Tokyo Disney has been closed since the end of February:

https://variety.com/2020/biz/asia/tokyo-disneyland-theme-parks-coronavirus-1203518619/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-executives-pushing-back-terms-pay-cuts-1288522

Here is more on some of the issues with Disney as they face furloughs

Sources say the amended company contracts use the word "temporary" to describe salary reductions of 20 percent to 30 percent but offer no firm end date.
A battle is brewing between Disney executives and senior leadership over the company’s pay cuts that were disclosed March 30.

Multiple sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the affected executives at the vp, senior vp and executive vp level are upset that the salary cuts were decided unilaterally and represent a 20 to 30 percent slash in their earnings. More alarmingly, the amended contracts sent to these executives provide no end date, and employees were given only two days to sign.

That move has sparked a backlash across the global conglomerate, which touted the cuts as necessary “as we navigate through these uncharted waters.” Chairman Bob Iger will forgo his entire salary and recently named CEO Bob Chapek will take a 50 percent reduction to his base salary as Disney grapples with the novel coronavirus pandemic.
A Disney vp typically earns somewhere between $150,000 and $200,000 in base pay, according to sources, while an executive vp’s salary can top $700,000, depending on the department (marketing, distribution and creative executives historically make more than corporate functions). Some employees also are compensated via Disney stock.

But those familiar with the new reductions — 20 percent for vps, 25 percent for senior vps and 30 percent for executive vps — note that the bulk of Iger and Chapek’s compensation will remain untouched because the cuts only apply to their base salaries. In the case of Chapek, his base is $2.5 million, but his annual target bonus is $7.5 million and his annual long-term incentive grant is $15 million.

"The furloughs will impact employees that work in the Disney Parks, Experiences and Products division of the company, which includes the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim."

I mentioned the ABC Studios/20th Century Pictures/ Hulu/Disney + shows on a different thread though but they were simply listed as "Suspended Production" at the time when back then it was focused on Disney owned shows done in California that had to comply with Shelter in Place orders. At this point it's 4/5 of the country.

If I were to pick on TV staff to cut off it would be ESPN pundits given that they are dependent on the NBA season and other sports given that their talk shows revolve around sports seasons.

I mentioned the ABC Studios/20th Century Pictures/ Hulu/Disney + shows on a different thread though but they were simply listed as "Suspended Production" at the time when back then it was focused on Disney owned shows done in California that had to comply with Shelter in Place orders. At this point it's 4/5 of the country.

Disney is complying with State orders. Not the same as indefinite furloughing of employees.

If I were to pick on TV staff to cut off it would be ESPN pundits given that they are dependent on the NBA season and other sports given that their talk shows revolve around sports seasons.

That's great, but all those pundits are under various forms of contracts. You can't just decide to not abide by a contract.
I'm sure lawyers are working behind the scenes diligently on negotiating either buy-out's of talent contracts, or some sort of suspension based on timing.

Fortunately, the stock price hasn't dropped below what I originally paid, so no harm no foul. It's already on the way back up, and as long as they don't suspend dividends, I'm good.

It's been interesting that a lot of the major stocks haven't dropped below their 52 week low. Disney is one of them. Still, losing a third of its value can be rough to take when you think about it that way. It furthers the view that we were on a bubble last year, and it as due to burst.

Add another 15-20K for Disneyland and California Adventure in Anaheim. The unemployment claims will be skyrocketing at the end of this week in CA and FL.

This is a much bigger problem for theme parks than broadcast. Disney is missing out on tens of millions each day those parks remain closed. Networks like ABC and ESPN, in spite of professional and college sports being suspended, are inconvenienced by comparison.

This is a much bigger problem for theme parks than broadcast. Disney is missing out on tens of millions each day those parks remain closed. Networks like ABC and ESPN, in spite of professional and college sports being suspended, are inconvenienced by comparison.

Theme parks with company-owned restaurants and hotels, plus the cruise ship. All of that is shut down.

Consider the hotel business. What would it take to get you to stay in a hotel now?

Couldn’t do it. Not for the foreseeable future. Post vaccine, when things have stabilized? Ok, sure. Until then? Not a snowball’s chance in you know where.

IHME models show stabilization in California by early June - I'd bet Anaheim opens back up on July 1st with a lot of restrictions and whatnot. Whether that's temperature checks at the gate, limited capacity on rides, 1/3-1/2 caps on visitors or even cancellation of fireworks. Fauci rolling out antibody tests is a great sign - it's just we need them to be 99.9% effective. Also, construction had to be stopped on the new Avengers Campus at Disney California Adventure, which was supposed to open in July (and will probably be delayed until fall, if we don't have a strong 2nd wave).
Orlando's outta luck until July-August IMO. The curve has not really flattened because of the governor's decisions. Even the Orange County FL government says they may not be able to open anything until early June...and WDW is down on the bottom of that list.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom