• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Could a Taylor Swift format work?

Here's a description of a Taylor Swift format on a site someone told me about for Christmas music, now that actual radio stations have given it up:

"Tons of Taylor, plus friends, frenemies, boyfriends (current and ex’s) and collaborators"

They have something for every taste, with commercials. It sems to be like Pandora in that you can click when you hear an artist you don't like.

It would be a desperation, Hail Mary pass for a failing station with nothing else to try.

I realize that the 13th page is late to be asking this, but, honestly---has ANYONE ever done a single-artist format on commercial radio intending it to be anything other than a stunt between the real formats?

KGIL in Los Angeles got eight months out of an all-Beatles format in the late 90s---but that was Saul Levine, who dumped it for an all-show tunes format.

I'm legitimately asking a question. Elvis, Beatles, whatever---has anyone ever really intended a single-artist format to be permanent? I can't think of one myself.

I realize that the 13th page is late to be asking this, but, honestly---has ANYONE ever done a single-artist format on commercial radio intending it to be anything other than a stunt between the real formats?

KGIL in Los Angeles got eight months out of an all-Beatles format in the late 90s---but that was Saul Levine, who dumped it for an all-show tunes format.

I'm legitimately asking a question. Elvis, Beatles, whatever---has anyone ever really intended a single-artist format to be permanent? I can't think of one myself.
There was an AM near Portland, OR that tried an all-Elvis format. The place ran on a shoestring anyway, so going that route was a huge risk and equally huge failure. Believe they stayed alive for about nine months and suddenly shut down. I ended up getting their barely used Continental Power Rock for the movers storage fee.

I can't think of one either. I believe if you want just one artist, you get an album (s) and play it (them) over and over.

IMHO music radio has a built-in variety. Even the old Top 40 had at least 30 + opportunities for other artists. One artist like the Beatles might have 5 or 6 songs but that still leaves 30 plus slots for other artists.

No. Bc one station did an all Elvis Presley format in 1988. Speaking of which, Taylor Swift is the Elvis Presley of our time.

She's the business person Elvis never was though.
She sort of reminds me of Prince regarding her disputes with her record company and then going out on her own, as well as the fan service she does with her people sending remixes out, going to children's hospitals, etc. I doubt she'll have dance parties at her house like Prince did, though.

I doubt she'll have dance parties at her house like Prince did, though.

She does, but we don't hear about them. The real difference between her & Prince is their ego. Prince had a huge ego. He knew he was the greatest. Taylor is a lot more polite about her talent. Maybe it comes from her time in country music, or some of the early criticism she took. But she's a lot humbler about her talent than Prince.

She does, but we don't hear about them. The real difference between her & Prince is their ego. Prince had a huge ego. He knew he was the greatest. Taylor is a lot more polite about her talent. Maybe it comes from her time in country music, or some of the early criticism she took. But she's a lot humbler about her talent than Prince.
How do you know she has dance parties at her house?

How do you know she has dance parties at her house?

Here's one story:

But I've seen several country stars talk about being invited to a post-CMA Awards party at T's Nashville house.

Here is one Al Yankovic did a parody one time of Taylor Swift's first hit and it was originally a parody directed at TMZ and their coverage of certain celebrities of that time. He unknowing ended up looking at where Taylor Swift is today.
That's the problem with parody and satire. You think you've gone just a little too far for it to be believable...and then something even farther-out actually happens.

I wonder if, someday, she will have a store in the terminal at Kansas City International Airport (hey! they have a brand-new terminal! so they have the space!) similar to the one in the Minneapolis-St. Paul airport for Prince. I guess it will depend upon whether Travis is a long-term thing.

Six hours waiting in that Minneapolis airport - an unexpected stopover - when a flight to Kansas City got diverted last year and that's what I find.
20220520_190418.LARGE.jpeg

Memories are a bit fuzzy since I wasn't living there at the time, but KYST in Texas City tried to rimshot Houston with "KBTL", not the actual call letters, with all-Beatles for about a year in 1983-84. I don't recall that it was intended as a stunt at the time. But, in life, what's most certain are death and taxes and KYST's repeated attempts to rimshot Houston with...something.

Back
Top Bottom