• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Could a Taylor Swift format work?

Could a 24/7 Taylor Swift channel work on terrestrial radio. I don't know of any other artist that has the power that she has right now. Would her fan base listen or even care.
Michael Jackson, Drake, Rihanna, Tupac, Jay-Z, Eminem, Usher, Chris Brown, Beyonce, Mariah Carey? Hell, maybe even The Weeknd, Britney Spears, and Justin Timberlake. These are all artist who have just many (if not more, for some of them) hits as Taylor Swift. If you're gonna do an all channel for one artist, may as well try
Neither of them ever had the Power Taylor currently has.
What exactly do you mean by "power"? I don't really see what makes her any more influential than, say, Michael Jackson was. I mean, Taylor has dozens of hits, but so does the artists I listed above. Also, as someone who favors Rhythmic and Urban more than Mainstream CHR, I'd argue Drake, Rihanna, Michael Jackson, Usher, and Justin Timberlake (if you include his N'Sync tracks) have even more hits than Taylor.

Last edited:
Michael Jackson, Drake, Rihanna, Tupac, Jay-Z, Eminem, Usher, Chris Brown, Beyonce, Mariah Carey? Hell, maybe even The Weeknd, Britney Spears, and Justin Timberlake. These are all artist who have just many (if not more, for some of them) hits as Taylor Swift. If you're gonna do an all channel for one artist, may as well try
Not if you have at least half a brain.
What exactly do you mean by "power"? I don't really see what makes her any more influential than, say, Michael Jackson was. I mean, Taylor has dozens of hits, but so does the artists I listed above. Also, as someone who favors Rhythmic and Urban more than Mainstream CHR, I'd argue Drake, Rihanna, Michael Jackson, Usher, and Justin Timberlake (if you include his N'Sync tracks) have even more hits than Taylor.
Maybe in combination, but not individually. Swift has/had more success financially than all of your list.

Maybe in combination, but not individually. Swift has/had more success financially than all of your list.
With earnings adjusted to 2023 dollars, I'd wager that Michael Jackson has made more money than Swift, although he hasn't been alive for the last 14 years of cash accumulation.

And he was flat broke years before he passed.
Oops, yeah. I forgot he had to pay his quack doctor, entourage of leeches, and a witness or two whose testimony could have put him in prison for life. Miserable human being he was. I'm glad Taylor's apparently got her head on straight and is responsible with her money.

Taylor tells her fans to jump they say how high. Who else could do that?

Not long after the last time I heard about Queen Latifah. Beyonce's star burned a bit longer, but she's definitely well out of the media spotlight now.
Queen Latifah has that show ons CBS, Im sure Beyonce will be back when she releases a new album but definetly not Taylor levels.

When is the last time you heard Beyonce in the media.
My point is Taylor Swift isn't the only artist who would quality to have their own radio station in this hypothethical scenario. Pretty any artist with a sizable discography could do the same.

Last edited:
A sizable discography is not the level of stardom Swift has at this point. None of them, Swift included, can be a radio format, but apart from Jackson at the peak of his popularity, the others just aren’t in that league.
I think this would have to await the album, Travis Kelce Sings the Songs of the Kansas Pioneers, backed by a chorus at Arrowhead Stadium, recorded in a home studio in Lenexa, Kansas (or some such place), and on sale at Seventh Heaven on Troost.

Another thing, when one thinks about a traditional radio format based around a single artist, is who would be your listeners? As in; age, gender, and availability (there to listen). Most 'Swifties' are younger females, 12-24, already addicted to smartphones. Because of existing media consumption of that demo, chances are the majority don't actively listen to the radio, but mostly stream their TS music. Sure there are outliers who are male or older women, but probably not in enough numbers to justify having a full-time radio format reliant on selling advertising, let alone a successful one. Remember, it's called 'broadcasting' for a reason.
As has been discussed here already; a 24/7 Swift format might work as a SXM subscription product, but not for traditional radio.

Another thing, when one thinks about a traditional radio format based around a single artist, is who would be your listeners? As in; age, gender, and availability (there to listen). Most 'Swifties' are younger females, 12-24, already addicted to smartphones. Because of existing media consumption of that demo, chances are the majority don't actively listen to the radio, but mostly stream their TS music. Sure there are outliers who are male or older women, but probably not in enough numbers to justify having a full-time radio format reliant on selling advertising, let alone a successful one. Remember, it's called 'broadcasting' for a reason.
As has been discussed here already; a 24/7 Swift format might work as a SXM subscription product, but not for traditional radio.
I think her demo is a lot higher than 24. It's pushing mid 30.

Back
Top Bottom