• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Commercial Radio Streaming Ruined by Repetitive Ads

Audio streamers that are hawking their ad-supported tiers are doing much shorter but more frequent commercial interruptions than radio streamers. What really needs to be studied is whether ratings really get a boost from fewer but longer stopsets these days as listening habits have changed. Maybe if 16 minutes an hour were broken down differently, they might be more effective for both listeners and advertisers. Limit stopsets to two or three minutes and max at 12 minutes per hour. Get the same revenue by selling the idea that ads will be more prominent and effective because they won't get lost in an 8-minute stopset. Then everybody wins - listeners and advertisers. Considering the average length of songs, you need to do about one minute of advertising for every song if you're going to do 12 minutes an hour. That's still a lot of interruption. Pick your formula - one song, one minute, two songs, two minutes, three songs, three minutes, etc. It's either that or you have to jack up advertising rates in order to reduce interruptions.

I have been using ad-blockers to browse the web for at least a decade at this point. I only watch YouTube on my PC for this reason--I find their ads insufferable. When/if their ad-blocker killing update rolls out, I'll probably subscribe to YT Premium. Any place advertising on Google Maps is automatically less appealing to me if I'm looking for a place to eat, for example.

My point was I prefer to listen to the AM or FM broadcasts themselves because of the different ads. It's much easier to change the stations too. On a standard radio I can go from a Cumulus station to a Townsquare one to an Audacy one in three seconds and hear exactly what they're playing right now. No need to wait for Alexa to move to the different platforms and play its pre-roll ad.

I think streaming radio should work like YouTube TV or Sling, selecting the live broadcast fast tracks you to the live broadcast just the same as picking it up with an antenna. If I click on WBEN at 11:59:59pm I should hear the news just the same as I would on the radio, perhaps with a short delay due to technical limitations. I should hear the exact same commercials I would hear on the radio. Until/Unless it functions this way, I'm not interested in using it.

Yes, I realize there will be some subtle differences between watching on YouTube TV and cable regarding local insertion. Hell, I think the cable companies even show different ads on the local affiliates. Ever notice how on cable you never see an ad for Spectrum Internet, Wifi and Mobile for $49.99, even on say WIVB's local news? But it's much more seamless and takes a trained eye to notice. The lack of that seamlessness is what irks me with streaming radio.
I see Spectrum ads constantly on my local stations, and Spectrum only covers surrounding counties

I see Spectrum ads constantly on my local stations, and Spectrum only covers surrounding counties

I do too, but they aren't originating from Comcast. They're usually in-program spots that can't be pre-empted.

That's why I say that a lot of these complaints about commercials have nothing to do with the station.

This may be an off shoot topic
however, it warrants a review:

Thinking spotify, pandora, etc,
will get so ad heavy, is it a realistic possibility of the under 30-ish crowd that wants the goods without the payment will start to get annoyed enough with their online Playlist being more commercials than songs.

Co-workers, annoy me when they don't listen to radio _ too much talkin' and say to many commercials.
Yet, the same people will reference a steve Harvey morning show moment or 2 o' clock talk break...

In addition, co-workers, will also go from station - to station, flip back to the first preset and say all the same same songs
( when you go back to the same station, it will be the same song ) and say
ugh, nothing is on.

IF I'm pandora / stream service
outside of Sirius-XM, I would limit your skips to a ridiculous low number and ramp up commercials,

*UNLESS* you subscribe to the streaming service. If live radio is so bad, and the only concern is the bottom line ( as it is according to stone cold )
eliminate the free option.

if THAT happens, would there be a resurgence in listeners for AM and FM here in Buffalo ?

Personally , I sub to S-xm and build my own youtube Playlist.... after giving the FM first try.

I have been using ad-blockers to browse the web for at least a decade at this point. I only watch YouTube on my PC for this reason--I find their ads insufferable. When/if their ad-blocker killing update rolls out, I'll probably subscribe to YT Premium. Any place advertising on Google Maps is automatically less appealing to me if I'm looking for a place to eat, for example.

My point was I prefer to listen to the AM or FM broadcasts themselves because of the different ads. It's much easier to change the stations too. On a standard radio I can go from a Cumulus station to a Townsquare one to an Audacy one in three seconds and hear exactly what they're playing right now. No need to wait for Alexa to move to the different platforms and play its pre-roll ad.

I think streaming radio should work like YouTube TV or Sling, selecting the live broadcast fast tracks you to the live broadcast just the same as picking it up with an antenna. If I click on WBEN at 11:59:59pm I should hear the news just the same as I would on the radio, perhaps with a short delay due to technical limitations. I should hear the exact same commercials I would hear on the radio. Until/Unless it functions this way, I'm not interested in using it.

Yes, I realize there will be some subtle differences between watching on YouTube TV and cable regarding local insertion. Hell, I think the cable companies even show different ads on the local affiliates. Ever notice how on cable you never see an ad for Spectrum Internet, Wifi and Mobile for $49.99, even on say WIVB's local news? But it's much more seamless and takes a trained eye to notice. The lack of that seamlessness is what irks me with streaming radio.
WEBR goes straight to the broadcast. No pre-broadcast ad.

Back
Top Bottom