• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Cincinnati TV and Radio History Photos

Cincinnati Kid said:
Rosemary Kelly was with WLW-T, Channel 5 - at least when Richard King was talking about here on WLW Radio. When King first came to Cincinnati, he was on WCKY Radio. I think he went to San Diego from there before returning to Cincinnati and going on WLW.

I do agree that WKRC Radio really had some nice on-the-air personalities at one time. Certainly Stan Matlock had a great ratings. Others like: Jerry Thomas, Bob Jones, Ted McKay and Alan Browning had good shows as well. If you go back a little further, Jon Arthur, Jack Remington and Tom McCarthy had shows on WKRC. When you add Don Webb doing the news, you had a very nice lineup.

I think that all you have detailed of the travels of Richard King are essentially correct. One person still in the business who might know is Bucks Braun. I was at an age, when I discovered King, that irreverence was cool. I heard, not confirmed, that he was fired from WLW for making light of The Reverend Cash Amburgy (sp?) who bought some dollar a holler time on WLW and also had ads for hi various enterprises on the station.

I also enjoyed at about the same time the humor of Dick Hatfield, The Imperial Debubbah, and later after I relocated to Los Angeles, Frazer Smith. Nobody today does what those guys did but then radio "personalities" are a dying breed.

I'd like to hear more regarding Richard King leaving WLW. Of course, that's if someone knows and if that someone will talk about it now. I was never a fan of his, but respected him, the following he obviously had and his devotion for his son and others through the Ricky King Foundation.

With only one exception, I never took his witty remarks over the air as critical of anyone. To be in the radio and television business or to be heard or seen on it, one should try to adopt the ability to be like the duck who lets the water roll off of its back. So I'm not sure what may have risen to the seriousness of King losing his job over it, but I'd like to hear more on the subject. Certainly enough time has passed to discuss it. At least in a forum such as this one.

By the way, I'm sure some may be wondering about that "one exception" regarding King's humor that I referred to. It dealt with disc-jockey Jim LaBarbara, but I think his feelings were shared by others - some in and some out of radio.

Cincinnati Kid said:
I'd like to hear more regarding Richard King leaving WLW. Of course, that's if someone knows and if that someone will talk about it now. I was never a fan of his, but respected him, the following he obviously had and his devotion for his son and others through the Ricky King Foundation.

With only one exception, I never took his witty remarks over the air as critical of anyone. To be in the radio and television business or to be heard or seen on it, one should try to adopt the ability to be like the duck who lets the water roll off of its back. So I'm not sure what may have risen to the seriousness of King losing his job over it, but I'd like to hear more on the subject. Certainly enough time has passed to discuss it. At least in a forum such as this one.

By the way, I'm sure some may be wondering about that "one exception" regarding King's humor that I referred to. It dealt with disc-jockey Jim LaBarbara, but I think his feelings were shared by others - some in and some out of radio.

The story I heard was that one of King's bits was about an I would imagine regatta on the Ohio River where Reverend Kash Amburgy would walk on the river as a part of the festivities. I didn't here it but I do know that Richard King disappeared from WLW.

But I do agree that his humor was not meant to be hurtful and I would guess that most of his targets took it that way. I don't recall who told me about the firing if in fact that is what happened. He could have just decided to move on.

Wolfman on Saturday night and Dusty on Sunday night, it was an awesome station. 55KR AND C!!!!

KR4BD said:
Cincinnati Kid said:
I do agree that WKRC Radio really had some nice on-the-air personalities at one time. Certainly Stan Matlock had a great ratings. Others like: Jerry Thomas, Bob Jones, Ted McKay and Alan Browning had good shows as well. If you go back a little further, Jon Arthur, Jack Remington and Tom McCarthy had shows on WKRC. When you add Don Webb doing the news, you had a very nice lineup.

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE. WKRC-550 in the 1970's and early 1980's was the BEST radio station going. Jerry Thomas in the morning was very entertaining.

SAVE CASH WITH KASH!!!

nmoore6676 said:
Cincinnati Kid said:
Rosemary Kelly was with WLW-T, Channel 5 - at least when Richard King was talking about here on WLW Radio. When King first came to Cincinnati, he was on WCKY Radio. I think he went to San Diego from there before returning to Cincinnati and going on WLW.

I think that all you have detailed of the travels of Richard King are essentially correct. One person still in the business who might know is Bucks Braun. I was at an age, when I discovered King, that irreverence was cool. I heard, not confirmed, that he was fired from WLW for making light of The Reverend Cash Amburgy (sp?) who bought some dollar a holler time on WLW and also had ads for hi various enterprises on the station.

I also enjoyed at about the same time the humor of Dick Hatfield, The Imperial Debubbah, and later after I relocated to Los Angeles, Frazer Smith. Nobody today does what those guys did but then radio "personalities" are a dying breed.

Rich King came from KGB to WLW . I talked to him while he was having dinner with Rosemary Kelley at
Maurys Tiny Cove . Subject was "Career Academy" vs. CCM . They both were very nice to me ; I was a kid
at the time .

Radio Fish Heads said:
Rich King came from KGB to WLW . I talked to him while he was having dinner with Rosemary Kelley at Maurys Tiny Cove . Subject was "Career Academy" vs. CCM . They both were very nice to me ; I was a kid at the time .

Always nice to hear stories like this. People in the business who are friendly and polite to someone who is interested in being a part of it, too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom