• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Cincinnati TV and Radio History Photos

I noticed the WKRC Radio bumper sticker that was shown listing the station as carrying the: Reds, Royals and Bearcats. That had to be about 1962-63 as that was when WKRC had all three at the same time.

The 1940 QSL card photo of WCKY at their original dial position at 1490 running 50,000 watts is neat. It just shows one tower instead of 3 they now have.

I'm still looking for that cool Channel 5 logo from about 1976, right before they entered many years of using that big Helvetica 5.

While driving in Indianapolis in the afternoons in the late 60s I used to listen to.... was it RICH King? Afternoon guy with some dry humor, and some humor that was soaking-wet funny. Made fun of the German-ness of Cincy. "Steigerwald Funeral Homes with 5 convenience CARRY-IN locations...." sponsors of readings from the Greater Cincinnati phone book... (patterned after small town station where funeral homes would sponsor readings from the Bible complete with somber organ background music.)

In a quick run-through of the photos (What a collection!) I didn't see him listed. Come to think of it... I don't know that I have EVER seen a picture of him.

What became of him in later years?

Goat Rodeo Cowboy said:
While driving in Indianapolis in the afternoons in the late 60s I used to listen to.... was it RICH King? Afternoon guy with some dry humor, and some humor that was soaking-wet funny. Made fun of the German-ness of Cincy. "Steigerwald Funeral Homes with 5 convenience CARRY-IN locations...." sponsors of readings from the Greater Cincinnati phone book... (patterned after small town station where funeral homes would sponsor readings from the Bible complete with somber organ background music.)

In a quick run-through of the photos (What a collection!) I didn't see him listed. Come to think of it... I don't know that I have EVER seen a picture of him.

Richard King WAS a REAL HOOT !!! He passed away about 10 years ago. If you Google "Richard King WLW" you will find his obit complete with a photo. After leaving Cincinnati, he moved to Naples, FL where he remained active in radio for some time.

Dave Lee was the midday host who was also a funny guy who did impressions of Jimmy Carter and other local celebrities at that time. 55KRC was an entertaining station with a full news dept and local shows 24 hours a day then unlike the high blood pressure causing syndicated political shows all which sound like a broken record which currently pass for entertainment.

I was in college with Dave Lee. Unfortunately, listeners were never able to see his complete talents when he did impressions. In college, Dave did impressions of Cincinnati TV/radio personalities, professors, instructors, and even other students. When seen in person, Dave took on the facial looks and the mannerisims of those he was impersonating.

Yes, He was very talented. I remember him him impersonating Forrest Gregg in 1981 and his call to Pete Rozelle's office.

WSAI FM was on 102.7 in 1965?? That's what the DX verification card says... Anyone recall that?

WSAI FM originally was on on 102.7 and then it went off the air until 1967 when Frank Wood bought the license I believe. Not sure but Wood may have applied for 94.1 as well.

microbob said:
WSAI FM originally was on on 102.7 and then it went off the air until 1967 when Frank Wood bought the license I believe. Not sure but Wood may have applied for 94.1 as well.
Micro--Do you know if WSAI FM went directly from 102.7 to 94.1 (as in almost overnight)? Obviously WSAI left 102.7 between 1965 and 1967 if this DX card was current. The next question is why did they move? Perhaps the short space to 102.9/Springfield was distasteful to them and moving to 94.1 was a way to fix that issue? I grew up in Cincinnati and was AM savvy for a child but had little knowledge of FM until later into the 60's.

From what I've read you are pretty much correct. They moved due to 102.9 in Springfield. I believe by the time WEBN came on the air, They were able to come to an agreement that they would both mutually interfere with one another and 102.9 moved to another tower. I'm sure someone else will add the details if I am incorrect or left anything out.

BobOnTheJob said:
microbob said:
Micro--Do you know if WSAI FM went directly from 102.7 to 94.1 (as in almost overnight)? Obviously WSAI left 102.7 between 1965 and 1967 if this DX card was current. The next question is why did they move? Perhaps the short space to 102.9/Springfield was distasteful to them and moving to 94.1 was a way to fix that issue? I grew up in Cincinnati and was AM savvy for a child but had little knowledge of FM until later into the 60's.

My earliest recollection of 94.1 was WJBI. I assume the call letters stood for Jupiter Broadcasting Inc which owned WSAI at the time. I believe that 102.7 was silent for a couple years between WSAI-FM and WEBN. Another Cincy FM frequency flip back then was WAEF moving from 104.3 to 98.5.

microbob said:
From what I've read you are pretty much correct. They moved due to 102.9 in Springfield. I believe by the time WEBN came on the air, They were able to come to an agreement that they would both mutually interfere with one another and 102.9 moved to another tower. I'm sure someone else will add the details if I am incorrect or left anything out.

Essentially correct. WBLY-FM moved from 103.9 to 102.9 but due to 102.7 in Cincinnati they just went to an antenna on their AM tower in the valley just on the western edge of Springfield. I am not sure of the exact timeline but later the tower was moved up on the hill and they went to 50KW ERP which was more than the 20KW on the old tower by Mad River. Probably the hill top location was not the best for the AM and the FM changed to WAZU sometime in that era as well. I believe there may have been a study to increase the AM to 5 KW directional but that never happened though there was sufficient land at the site for the additional towers.

Yes, Dave Lee was one of the all-time greats. I remember when he called the NFL comisssioner's office as Forrest Gregg, incredible.

microbob said:
Dave Lee was the midday host who was also a funny guy who did impressions of Jimmy Carter and other local celebrities at that time. 55KRC was an entertaining station with a full news dept and local shows 24 hours a day then unlike the high blood pressure causing syndicated political shows all which sound like a broken record which currently pass for entertainment.

Goat Rodeo Cowboy said:

There is also a photo on page 11 of Rosemary Kelly, who worked at WKRC-TV. I remember Rich mentioned her frequently, referring to her as Rosemary 'overhang' Kelly.

It's only recently that I've come to appreciate it, but WKRC AM was a truly great station.

It is amazing how rich with talent Cincinnati radio and television was, and over such long time. Plus, much of the talent was grown.

Rosemary Kelly was with WLW-T, Channel 5 - at least when Richard King was talking about here on WLW Radio. When King first came to Cincinnati, he was on WCKY Radio. I think he went to San Diego from there before returning to Cincinnati and going on WLW.

I do agree that WKRC Radio really had some nice on-the-air personalities at one time. Certainly Stan Matlock had a great ratings. Others like: Jerry Thomas, Bob Jones, Ted McKay and Alan Browning had good shows as well. If you go back a little further, Jon Arthur, Jack Remington and Tom McCarthy had shows on WKRC. When you add Don Webb doing the news, you had a very nice lineup.

Cincinnati Kid said:
I do agree that WKRC Radio really had some nice on-the-air personalities at one time. Certainly Stan Matlock had a great ratings. Others like: Jerry Thomas, Bob Jones, Ted McKay and Alan Browning had good shows as well. If you go back a little further, Jon Arthur, Jack Remington and Tom McCarthy had shows on WKRC. When you add Don Webb doing the news, you had a very nice lineup.

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE. WKRC-550 in the 1970's and early 1980's was the BEST radio station going. Jerry Thomas in the morning was very entertaining.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom