• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Christmas Music

When will KOIT begin playing Christmas music this year, and will The Breeze flip to the All-Christmas music format for the first time?

Just wondering.

It will probably be KOIT only but you’d never know what will happen to the Breeze since they are a Soft AC. Unfortunately, every IHeartMedia station except for WLTW has to use the Premium Choice playlist most of the time whether it’s the classics one or the more contemporary one most of the stations use.

KOIT usually does it the Friday before Thanksgiving @ 12 pm but if The Breeze does the flip the breeze might do it a week earlier like many IHeartMedia stations.

You hardly ever hear "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" anymore. I assume there was some Grandma lobby that formed and threatened to boycott the station's advertisers if they played it anymore. Stations got frightened that they would lose that almighty important revenue from the Metamucil, Rascal Scooter and Depends ads so they stopped. Never piss off the Grandmas, they'll slap you back to the last century!

You hardly ever hear "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" anymore. I assume there was some Grandma lobby that formed and threatened to boycott the station's advertisers if they played it anymore. Stations got frightened that they would lose that almighty important revenue from the Metamucil, Rascal Scooter and Depends ads so they stopped. Never piss off the Grandmas, they'll slap you back to the last century!
Not to mention the whole war on Little Drummer Boy and (gasp) Baby it's cold outside...

Grandma was deleted from many playlists because the Christmas format doesn't play many novelty records. Other than You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch, which comes from a very popular holiday TV show. If it wasn't connected with the show, it would likely not get played either.

WLTW is my local Christmas station and it also doesn't play I Want A Hippopotamus. I've only heard Dominic The Donkey once or twice on WLTW, even though there are plenty of Italians in NYC. It plays Snoopy's Christmas very occasionally.

Novelty Christmas songs just aren't popular with the All-Christmas format. It takes Christmas seriously!

(And about the other two songs mentioned... Lite-FM still plays Baby It's Cold Outside but not as often and not by as many artists as it used to. And I wasn't aware of any problems with Little Drummer Boy. Can someone fill me in?)

Last edited:
BTW, since I mentioned I Want A Hippopotamus by Gayla Peevey just now, I went to You Tube to see the 1950s video. Peevey was only 10 years old then. She's seen playing with friends on the porch of a house, lip syncing the song. It may have been on The Ed Sullivan Show.

Well, it's been deleted. It was there for years. Even a second version, I suppose posted by somebody else, was also deleted. You can only get the song with a still photo of the record cover.

You hardly ever hear "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" anymore. I assume there was some Grandma lobby that formed and threatened to boycott the station's advertisers if they played it anymore. Stations got frightened that they would lose that almighty important revenue from the Metamucil, Rascal Scooter and Depends ads so they stopped. Never piss off the Grandmas, they'll slap you back to the last century
In one Christmas test I saw, it was polarizing among women.

(And about the other two songs mentioned... Lite-FM still plays Baby It's Cold Outside but not as often and not by as many artists as it used to. And I wasn't aware of any problems with Little Drummer Boy. Can someone fill me in?)
I never heard about any Little Drummer Boy drama, either.

Regarding Baby It's Cold Outside, John Legend and Kelly Clarkson came up with a more PC version and I heard it played a few times last Christmas season rather than the original version. Here are the updated lyrics Legend and Clarkson sing:

When will KOIT begin playing Christmas music this year, and will The Breeze flip to the All-Christmas music format for the first time?

Just wondering.
Does any of it matter? Really? Every year it's the same thing. When is this station or that station going XMAS? Friggin Baby it's Cold Outside-debate. I mean, have we forgotten after a year?

Does any of it matter? Really? Every year it's the same thing. When is this station or that station going Christmas? Friggin Baby it's Cold Outside-debate. I mean, have we forgotten after a year?
It is the same time every year for KOIT so why are people asking about KOIT-FM when it is always the Friday before Thanksgiving @12 PM anyways? The question is whether the Breeze will flip this year? Maybe all "The Breeze" stations will flip to Christmas music for the first time this year except for the online one, but who knows... We would have to find out in November.

Back
Top Bottom