• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Bye Bye Fish

Salem is slowly leaving the radio business. The fish Nashville was on two class a signals covering the city plus one covering Murfreesboro. I see kloves class c2 signal struggles in Murfreesboro so that will help k love blanket middle tn further and it gives air 1 more opportunities for listeners to the modern worship. Plus this the upcoming hq for emf

I'd rather see the Fish stations sold to EMF than Salem either changing them to far right talk or selling to another group that would do something similar. Also I had thought that EMF would eventually buy full power stations to put Air 1 on instead of the translators they're on now. I just wish it was with the CHR CCM format they used to have.

Sad to see another local Christian outlet go to the big shots. I guess that's why Air 1 was really pushy during the last fundraiser - they even gave away $5000 gift cards.

Wow. EMF paid $7M for these stations, sticks and the Honolulu station. I need to study that signal in Hawaier. These signals here are not stellar. Question for ya - has EMF ever sold any stations and exited a market?

Wow. EMF paid $7M for these stations, sticks and the Honolulu station. I need to study that signal in Hawaier. These signals here are not stellar. Question for ya - has EMF ever sold any stations and exited a market?
Sold stations, yes, (but usually for an improved signal), exiting a market, not sure

OK, so I don't listen to much terrestrial radio anymore. . As for K-Love, geez... how many stations does EMF think they need? What is it now, 400+?

Sad to see another local Christian outlet go to the big shots. I guess that's why Air 1 was really pushy during the last fundraiser - they even gave away $5000 gift cards.
Ah yes, the small publicly traded company with stations across the country is the little guy...
Wow. EMF paid $7M for these stations, sticks and the Honolulu station. I need to study that signal in Hawaier. These signals here are not stellar.
I'm told the price would've been higher if not for the repairs necessary on some of the facilities.
OK, so I don't listen to much terrestrial radio anymore. . As for K-Love, geez... how many stations does EMF think they need? What is it now, 400+?
EMF is moving their headquarters to Franklin, TN this summer. Getting Air-1 on full-powered facilities in Nashville has been a priority for them. Their goal is to get as close to reaching 100% of the population for K-Love.

They had Air1 in suburban St. Louis for awhile. One of those signals shut down. One carries other programming. The other went elsewhere, I think Kentucky (Translator hop) They never had K-LOVE there at all as far as I know.

They bought 2 signals in Northeast Wisconsin about a decade ago. WPFF and WNLI. The Air1 signal (WNLI) was sold off to another broadcaster.

EMF will also sell off any AM stations they get in deals to acquire FM stations. in Memphis they made a deal to buy KSUD-FM 94.7 in West Memphis, AR and had to take KSUD AM 730 and WPLX 1170 in Memphis as well, which they later sold off.

EMF also sold what had been WKVZ 94.9 in Ripley, TN, which they changed to WGCQ 98.7 in Hayti, MO after buying what became WZKV 90.7 in Dyersburg, TN, which was about 20 miles away but had a stronger signal.

You're right Lance, I'm not surprised that it's the goal to reach 100% of the country on a K-LOVE full power or even a translator (think of Missoula MT and other smaller markets). Which is why my bet goes on 98.7 NYC going to EMF too (to expand Air1 to NJ) when WEPN's time runs out.
I'm just not a fan of the "national conglomerate" goal of EMF, while other local and regional Christian stations devote time and prayer to the local communities they serve. K-LOVE doesn't have a Spokane WA outlet, but they have Air 1. Was I listening to Air 1 when I was in Spokane last weekend? Nope. My radio was on a local CCM outlet most of the time that puts 100% of the efforts on the Inland NW.

You're right Lance, I'm not surprised that it's the goal to reach 100% of the country on a K-LOVE full power or even a translator (think of Missoula MT and other smaller markets). Which is why my bet goes on 98.7 NYC going to EMF too (to expand Air1 to NJ) when WEPN's time runs out.
Remember , EMF does not program by "market" but by coverage. Since they don't depend on ratings, they can cover an area with several signals that just happen to dissect a large metro. They look at stations on the basis of the people they cover. Sure, they like having stations that are home to a big metro area, but can also reach that same population with suburban signals or rimshots because the "out of market" population is just as valuable to them as the rated market people covered.
I'm just not a fan of the "national conglomerate" goal of EMF, while other local and regional Christian stations devote time and prayer to the local communities they serve.
EMF has local outreach centers in many of its market areas and has 24/7 counselors who will talk to a person, whether they just want someone to pray with or whether they need counseling about a problem.

In Chicago, they're all well plotted. Air1 (shown below) started with #6, WSRI and #5 the translator in Dekalb in the 2000s. Both networks have a similar coverage setup, although K-LOVE has the larger signals. You can see how anybody going between Chicago and Rockford could keep listening with one of these signals on their trip.

As far as audience, the people listening on the radio are probably driving. I'm pretty sure they have this in mind these days when thinking of signals. This is the case with radio in general. Everywhere else they constantly promote their apps.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    105.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Probably keep them the same or change 100.3 to Air 1 to fill in the spots that WFFH/FFI can't cover with their current facilities. The northeast part of the metro seems to be the only place that won't have a full service FM out of the potential Air1 signals. The only problem with 100.3 is a terrain-limited signal to the north with the translator's low height. They might move signals around a bit through modification apps. There's a few translator mod apps pending or granted in Nashville through other licensees.

Remember , EMF does not program by "market" but by coverage. Since they don't depend on ratings, they can cover an area with several signals that just happen to dissect a large metro. They look at stations on the basis of the people they cover. Sure, they like having stations that are home to a big metro area, but can also reach that same population with suburban signals or rimshots because the "out of market" population is just as valuable to them as the rated market people covered.

EMF has local outreach centers in many of its market areas and has 24/7 counselors who will talk to a person, whether they just want someone to pray with or whether they need counseling about a problem.
Ha ha David you should create a macro for these answers. You have to "remind" folks so often. (And another one that explains the 6+ numbers as well!)

Fish Nashville got a good sendoff this afternoon, but still on as of 1 AM.

They're having problems with the transition, last I checked WFFH was off and WFFI/WBOZ were playing K-Love at 3/4 speed.

Back
Top Bottom