• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

BOMBSHELL!!! INTEREP TANKS.

Holland Cooke

Inactive
Inactive User
RIGHT NOW, trade pubs are tripping-over-each-other to Email you the stunning news.

If you're a GM, hug your top-billing local rep.

If you work on-air, and don't also sell, learn-how, QUICKLY.

HC
www.HollandCooke.com

Holland Cooke said:
RIGHT NOW, trade pubs are tripping-over-each-other to Email you the stunning news.

HC
www.HollandCooke.com

If you're a Katz client, breathe a sigh of relief. If not, realize that they only have three independent branches for non-Clear Channel stations. Your station could be without a rep for a while.

Cox could be the savior. However, while they have success in TV representation, they are a loyal Katz client for radio.

Holland Cooke said:

HC
www.HollandCooke.com

I have thought long and hard before posting a reply to this.

First, it's an insult. An insult to the talent who remains in the industry.

If you are a salesperson, and you do not believe in radio -- LEAVE RADIO. That simple.

Each and every day, I deal with impossible demands from you, the sales weasel. I will probably leave radio myself after this gig, and that's after 25 years in the industry -- 13 of those in a top three market. I know how to create ads that sell.

YOUR job is to SELL ads.

As the man said, "shut the hell up and drive."

Asking talent to sell radio is really insulting, Holland. Or maybe it's that you don't believe in talent. So, go sell your colon-cleansing infomercials and kill off more listeners, will ya?

"If you work on-air, and don't also sell, learn-how, QUICKLY."

Shooting-the-messenger is common in chaos.
And this message couldn't be more important to radio's remaining workforce.

proddude41 said:
I have thought long and hard before posting a reply to this.

Where?
In the quietude of a production studio?
While collecting a salary?

As Cher's character said in "Moonstruck:" "SNAP OUT OF IT."
Westwood One stock, de-listed yesterday, closed at EIGHT CENTS today.
CBS is $5-something.
Citdel...what, 25 cents?

Re-start the tape...

proddude41 said:
First, it's an insult. An insult to the talent who remains in the industry...Asking talent to sell radio is really insulting, Holland. Or maybe it's that you don't believe in talent.

"...the talent that remains in the industry:" a quickly-shrinking fraternity.
Yesterday, I suffered the loss of two REAL talents, as one-of-only-several bloodbaths-du-jour hit one of my client stations.
Gifted, talented veterans, company lifers, whose only vice was having-attained-success that was rewarded with now-prohibitive salaries.

Re-start the tape...

proddude41 said:
I will probably leave radio myself after this gig...

You say that as though you-are-in-control-of when-the-gig-ends.
Read the trades.

Re-start the tape...

proddude41 said:
...and that's after 25 years in the industry -- 13 of those in a top three market.

It'll be 40 years for me in February, but these aren't the numbers that matter.
HERE'S what matters:

proddude41 said:
I know how to create ads that sell.

You have just re-stated my point.
As former Radio Advertising Bureau President Gary Fries put it, "if you're in radio, you're in Sales."

proddude41 said:
So, go sell your colon-cleansing infomercials and kill off more listeners, will ya?

ONE more movie reference (I promise!): As Marshall McLuhan HIMSELF said, in that priceless "Annie Hall" scene in the movie theater lobby, when someone else recited his resume (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpIYz8tfGjY): "You know nothing of my work."

Tough talk from an anonymous poster.

HC
401-330-6868

www.HollandCooke.com

Re: "If you work on-air, and don't also sell, learn-how, QUICKLY."

Holland Cooke said:
You have just re-stated my point.
As former Radio Advertising Bureau President Gary Fries put it, "if you're in radio, you're in Sales."

Ehhh, no. Not exactly. If they're the same job, why the massive pay disparity? (Do you know a sales rep who doesn't drive at least a fairly new car? I don't... Do you know many talent that can say the same thing?)

Talent's job, insofar as sales goes, is to make the on-air product attractive to the listener. They "sell" the station to the audience, and that's really only a figurative "sale." Sales, in turn, sells the audience to clients, and money actually changes hands. It's not the same job. But one needs the other to survive...everybody on both sides of the divide should learn that lesson.

The difference between sales and talent is that sales doesn't hate and resent the talent, only the other way around. We're all paid what we're worth; the sales guy doesn't get the perks of being "on the air". I don't work at a station nor am I a sales employee, but I think we all know when we decide what we want to do when we grow up how it's going to pay, and we accept that. If you want to be a cop, a firefighter, a teacher, a radio talent, or any number of other similar jobs, you should accept the realities of that job,

Usually the only time I didn't like an airstaff/jock is if they thought they were better than everyone else, and didn't want to play along with a team concept. Yeah I know cutting the spot I just sold is a pain in the butt, but it makes money for all of us!

Re: Believe me later.

Holland Cooke said:
Make a note: May 19, 2009.

Let's all reconvene here, and see how radio is doing THEN.

What occurred on May 19?

"What occurred on May 19?"

It was 6-months-yonder-from my November 19 post about radio-heading-for-the-rocks.

So, without researching trade press morgue for their names, let's simply recall that, on that day, EVEN MORE PEOPLE GOT FIRED.

Just in the last few days, when stations were too automated/syndicated/voicetracked-in-advance to properly react, the death of Michael Jackson reminds us that radio's slip is showing.

Time for Plan B: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OIXjs6xddM

HC
www.HollandCooke.com
http://getonthenet.com/09June.pdf

Re: "What occurred on May 19?"

Holland Cooke said:
It was 6-months-yonder-from my November 19 post about radio-heading-for-the-rocks.

So, without researching trade press morgue for their names, let's simply recall that, on that day, EVEN MORE PEOPLE GOT FIRED. 

Just in the last few days, when stations were too automated/syndicated/voicetracked-in-advance to properly react, the death of Michael Jackson reminds us that radio's slip is showing.

Time for Plan B: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OIXjs6xddM

HC
www.HollandCooke.com
http://getonthenet.com/09June.pdf

And when tabloid trash and the death of Michael Jackson overshadow the plight of a people struggling to be free in Iran, and being killed in the streets over it; or a ruthless dictator in Central America getting support from our own government, radio's and tv's whole arse is hanging out...and it ain't perty.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom