• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

"Big Announcement" Regarding John and Ken on Monday

How long was KFI an NBC radio affiliate? Hearing the NBC chimes at the end of one of the jingles almost made up for how bad it was.

From 1926 until---I'm not really sure.

By 1970, KFI had ditched the network's newscasts and the weekend "Monitor" show and were simply airing the spots from within those programs. They were clearing network features in evenings, late nights and overnights.

IF I recall correctly, NBC finally jumped ship to KIIS-AM around '74 or '75---but I think that went south when KKDJ became KIIS-FM.

Ken says he never came back to KFI after the pandemic. He's been doing his half from home for three and a half years.

That's an interesting statement given all the talk about the vaccine, and the talk show hosts who died from covid.

So hey, big props to the poster who called this yesterday!

Ken is leaving. Ken. His choice. Whatever else may be announced, rest assured that the precipitating event is the early departure of Ken.

Credit where credit is due.

I'm guessing John will go through a string of guest co-hosts over the next few weeks/months. History doesn't lend a lot hope that the show will survive in its current format.
Dude your saying that's cause he is conservative. John is quite good at what he does. I can admit when people on the left are good talk show hosts like Stephanie miller and Randy Rhodes no not Ozzy guitarist. John will be just fine on his own.

Dude your saying that's cause he is conservative. John is quite good at what he does. I can admit when people on the left are good talk show hosts like Stephanie miller and Randy Rhodes no not Ozzy guitarist. John will be just fine on his own.

I think he's referring more to what happens when a team doesn't retire simultaneously. The one who stays tends not to stay long---Mark and Brian, Kevin and Bean....it's a pretty substantial list.

There were several contenders for "worst jingle" in that package:

PS: The "KFI is Los Angeles---and Compton" jingle refers to Paul Compton, who was a personality on the station. There's also a "KFI is Los Angeles---and Bishop", which refers to Jerry Bishop.
That is a truly bad jingle package. No wonder the knock on KFI used to be that it was a "sleeping giant". Those jingles must've put everyone in a coma.

I think he's referring more to what happens when a team doesn't retire simultaneously. The one who stays tends not to stay long---Mark and Brian, Kevin and Bean....it's a pretty substantial list.
I agree. When Lohman and Barkley split up, KFI teamed up Lohman with Gary Owens. The Lohman and Owens show lasted all of eighteen months.

I agree. When Lohman and Barkley split up, KFI teamed up Lohman with Gary Owens. The Lohman and Owens show lasted all of eighteen months.
The dynamic changes -- especially if that dynamic has developed over several decades. The shows never really feel the same. Listen, I'm not the biggest John and Ken fan, but I can't deny they had good chemistry. I can't imagine John teaming up with someone else long term. It's going to feel weird to the legacy listeners and it probably won't attract the same caliber of new listeners.

He's the one who brought up the pandemic.
First, that was me paraphrasing. iHeart sent everyone home. Ken said John went back and he never did. I think it was more a point of reference timewise than anything having to do with risk. At least, there is nothing said that would indicate that risk was a factor while I was listening.

Back
Top Bottom