• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

"Big Announcement" Regarding John and Ken on Monday

No more information than that. But word on today's shows is that something's up with John and Ken on Monday at 1 PM. And it doesn't have anything to do with Conway.

Some on Facebook are speculating John is retiring.

Apparently, there is going to be a "big announcement" regarding the John and Ken Show on Monday at 1 p.m.
Debra Marx twittered about the "big announcement" and Conway revealed to the audience this afternoon that he is not to be discussing "the big announcement."
My bet is on that John is going to be retiring after 40 years on the air as of a couple of days ago and that Ken will have a new host. Let's see if I'm right!
What does everybody else think?

It might explain why they changed the schedule back in January. A chance to "try out" Conway in the slot before John (potentially) walks away.

KFI changed the weekday schedule this past January to give Mo' Kelly a weekday evening slot. And to shorten the morning show for Bill Handel, who is now 72. Let's remember Handel also has his three hour Handel on The Law weekend show, syndicated to other iHeart talk stations across the U.S. So he's still doing 18 hours a week.

I'm not sure if John Kobylt is retiring. But if that happens, I don't think that would affect Tim Conway Jr. I assume Ken Chiampou would simply take over the 1 to 4pm show himself.

I assume Ken Chiampou would simply take over the 1 to 4pm show himself.
Not likely. Ken has struggled on the occasions when John has been out and he has to run the show himself.

Besides, part of the J&K schtick is that he plays something of a straight man to the kinetic and rambunctious John. That is why they work well together and need each other. John alone would be three hours of unfiltered rage, and Ken alone is three hours of calm and comparatively much more rational discourse, but not nearly as entertaining.

No more information than that. But word on today's shows is that something's up with John and Ken on Monday at 1 PM. And it doesn't have anything to do with Conway.

Some on Facebook are speculating John is retiring.

This could be a nothing burger. KFI has served those up before. Or maybe one of them is going to be a grandfather.

I hope not john is awesome. Ya need them both. One without the other would be like a car without oil. Or a hotdog without ketchup. Ice tea without sweetener. I prefer john over ken.
I’m hoping the both retire. I doubt they were moved to the 1-4 time slot because their audience was growing. While sometimes entertaining, I can only take so much angry white man rage media before I need to change the channel.

New guy here
Im a current jock but cant say where
John and ken did not like the demotion to 1 to 4 out of pm drive
I think they need to put a woman there like wendy walsh
Ive heard they may move doug mcintyre there to groom him for when handel leaves and his book if finished
Other street talk is john phillips from kabc being the new john with ken.
.also ive heard chris merrill, or another go round with mark thompson
John and ken never liked their demotion and may walk
As earlier posted, ken is weak flying solo
I say bring in a woman for that daypart.

Doug isn't much younger than Handel. Not a long term solution, if that's what they're thinking.
Theyve used doug over the past month on weekends etc
Kfi likes making talk show hosts out of news readers. How about a black woman like muhammud? I dont know where chris merrill does his show from? Anyone know? Phoenix or san diego? Hes not identified on kfi weekend schedule online. Stealing john phillips from kabc would be briiliant. A new john and ken. Lets keep this going til monday. I think someone at kfi reads this
Keep on posting..someone may already have nailed it.

New guy here
Im a current jock but cant say where
John and ken did not like the demotion to 1 to 4 out of pm drive
I think they need to put a woman there like wendy walsh
Ive heard they may move doug mcintyre there to groom him for when handel leaves and his book if finished
Other street talk is john phillips from kabc being the new john with ken.
.also ive heard chris merrill, or another go round with mark thompson
John and ken never liked their demotion and may walk
As earlier posted, ken is weak flying solo
I say bring in a woman for that daypart.
Sweet Jesus I hope Phillips stays in obscurity on KABC. He’s awful. Doug McIntyre would be an amazing full time addition. He was the only good thing at KABC. They didn’t deserve him there.

Honestly, there’s a reason they were moved out of drive time. You don’t mess with a winning formula, so my guess is J&K was no longer the show it once was.

Last edited:
As a long time hater of John and Ken I can only hope with joy that this is the end of The John and Ken Show
On the other hand, you are wishing that about a half-million listeners be deprived of a show that they truly like.

There are enough radio stations and streams and podcasts available in LA so that you can not be forced to listen. Live and let live.

They used to be far more tolerable. Now they’re just angry white boomers complaining loudly about the world changing around them. That schtick gets old really quickly.
Not to a lot of "old white boomers".

Let’s continue catering to a dying demographic.
Most have a decade or more to go before they croak, and in most markets there are plenty of local direct accounts to support such programming.

Back
Top Bottom