• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Beginning and end of the Oldies era

vic ....great stuff in all the categories....the Lounge genre(boy-Capitol records sure has tried to capitalize in this area) is a facinating fairly new entry into the music scene, from what I've seen they seem to go for light jazz (Take Five- I saw Brubek Once, Unfortunately without Paul Desmond)...alot of pop instrumentals from the 50's and 60's, Tony Bennet, Mel Torme, sometimes the Lounge Genre leans towards the exotic sounds.........its all good especially, if it gets the younger generation involved in appreciating that era of music.

your Englebert picks were similar to mine, I like "A Better Man" alot,,,but then I am very prejudiced to Hal David and Burt Bacarach ...I noticed you didn't include "Walk Away" by Matt Monro ..I love everything he ever recorded ...I not complaining, just adding some of favorites on top of you list.
You listed Buble...are you familiar with Michael Civisca, I think you might like him, these new guys are pretty good and even old guys like Rod Stewart did a great job...... I love reading what people like, we are all different, in the songs we like from artists that we are mutually fond of.

radioman148 said:
Some of those vocals are OK, but "You Light Up My Life?" Pleeeeze!

Aw, c'mon, you aren't looking at it from the right perspective. It's funny as all get out when you have some cheezeball sending it out to some man she's trying to do sex with and steal him from his lady, which is even more insane when you figure that Debbie Boone was singing it in praise of Jesus Christ. Music appreciation is a lost art. LOL LOL

hornet61 said:
vic ....great stuff in all the categories....the Lounge genre(boy-Capitol records sure has tried to capitalize in this area) is a facinating fairly new entry into the music scene, from what I've seen they seem to go for light jazz (Take Five- I saw Brubek Once, Unfortunately without Paul Desmond)...alot of pop instrumentals from the 50's and 60's, Tony Bennet, Mel Torme, sometimes the Lounge Genre leans towards the exotic sounds.........its all good especially, if it gets the younger generation involved in appreciating that era of music.

your Englebert picks were similar to mine, I like "A Better Man" alot,,,but then I am very prejudiced to Hal David and Burt Bacarach ...I noticed you didn't include "Walk Away" by Matt Monro ..I love everything he ever recorded ...I not complaining, just adding some of favorites on top of you list.
You listed Buble...are you familiar with Michael Civisca, I think you might like him, these new guys are pretty good and even old guys like Rod Stewart did a great job...... I love reading what people like, we are all different, in the songs we like from artists that we are mutually fond of.

Dave Brubeck got up and walked out on an audience at a dinner theatre one night, because the patrons were talking while he was performing.

>>Aw, c'mon, you aren't looking at it from the right perspective. It's funny as all get out when you have some cheezeball sending it out to some man she's trying to do sex with and steal him from his lady, which is even more insane when you figure that Debbie Boone was singing it in praise of Jesus Christ. Music appreciation is a lost art. LOL LOL >>

I never thought of that ;D

I never thought of that

Right, you have to picture it as a karaoke style thing, but with dedication and feeling on the radio. Same thing with Joe Cocker's "You Are So Beautiful". (Same idiot).

Silkie said:
Dave Brubeck got up and walked out on an audience at a dinner theatre one night, because the patrons were talking while he was performing.
Bravo for Brubeck!

I’ll get inside Brubeck’s mind. . . ready….visualize…
Some of you here are really rude. I came to entertain but if you don’t want to listen…I’m gone.

Here’s a hint for a dinner theatre: Talk over dinner, then shut up and listen when the entertainment begins.

Well, as one of the ones who was not doing the talking I don't think I should have been punished for it. But whatever his hangup, I would never go to see him again.

Lets all "Take Five".........just kidding.

You never know what going in a persons head, while they are performing. There are some recent concerts , where I wish the performer had walked out. Artists who have lost their voiced and are pretty awful in concert
should give it up. I won't mention any names of the awful ones, but some that still sound great as recently as a year ago that I saw them :
Bobby Vinton
BJ Thomas
Kathy Young
Rosie Hamlin and the Originals (has not performed in abut five years)
The Penguins
Brenton Wood
Johnny Maestro
Jimmy Beaumont
Englebert

Dion......I watch his dvd in concert over and over.
All the PBS artists still sound pretty darn good I am amazed at hoew great Lee Andrews sounds

I saw Brubeck at a theather in downtown San Antonio, awesome show. Jazz guys are a little different anyway, I sure would have liked to have seen Desmond with Brubeck, he and Getz, and Dexter Gordon are my favorite saz jazz guys. They maintain a melody line quit evidently while doing their speclacular improv things, even thou I alike bebop jazz at heart, if they do all improv, It can get a little redundant.

Take Five.....is heaven....brubeck with that piano hook , morello's offsetting answer on drums...then here comes that sweet Paul Desmond sax....I still get shivers when I hear it. My best description of Desmond was sweet..soooo mellow sooooo nice.

hornet61 said:
Take Five.....is heaven....brubeck with that piano hook , morello's offsetting answer on drums...then here comes that sweet Paul Desmond sax....I still get shivers when I hear it. My best description of Desmond was sweet..soooo mellow sooooo nice.

I couldn't agree more it's a classic.

Silkie said:
"Take Five" was an exercise in keeping up with 5/1 time.
Incorrect – “Take Five” is in 5/4, one of the most defiant time-signatures in music. It was composed by Paul Desmond.

The 1959 Brubeck Quartet album, “Time Out” is a study of compound and exotic time signatures. Brubeck’s genius is enhanced by the equally genius ability of Paul Desmond (alto sax), Joe Morello (Drums) and Eugene Wright (bass).

“Take Five” 5/4 time; “Blue Rhondo A La Turk”, 9/8; “Everybody ‘s Jumping”, 6/4; “Three To Get Ready” vacillates between common time (4/4) and waltz time (3/4). If you don’t have this album, you should have it.

BTW: "Blue Rhondo is extremely difficult to follow, as the 9/8 time is grouped as 2-2-2-3 instead of the usual 3-3-3.

hornet61 said:

If something's not included, it probably means my radio station doesn't play it and I just don't know about it.

I have lists of other Rod Stewart songs somewhere, and I just have to find them and finish up that list. I never heard of Michael Civicsa, but my station plays a lot of people who are making new recordings of the older songs. If they don't play him I don't know why.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom