• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

B96 WBBM-FM Rhythmic Gold-Leaning Top 40?

If so it would be a huge anomaly. No other Jack station that I know of is playing it or any other song by that band.

The Killers?

I know for a fact 106.5 Jack FM WVFM in Kalamazoo, MI plays them (have heard them play the Killers on several occasions).

A tiny station in a tiny market, 93.1 Jack FM in Los Angeles, played "All These Things that I've Done" by the Killers last night around 2:15a local time.

I would be very surprised if "Mr. Brightside" by the Killers isn't part of the music library of a large number of Jack FM stations out there.

Last edited:
The Killers?

I know for a fact 106.5 Jack FM WVFM in Kalamazoo, MI plays them (have heard them play the Killers on several occasions).

A tiny station in a tiny market, 93.1 Jack FM in Los Angeles, played "All These Things that I've Done" by the Killers last night around 2:15a local time.

I would be very surprised if "Mr. Brightside" by the Killers isn't part of the music library of a large number of Jack FM stations out there.

They have been from the beginning

That could be, though I don't see a competitive situation where a Hot AC is winning against a CHR they are battling against, though the conditions are definitely ripe for Hot AC stations to win if they go after the CHR.
Don’t you think a case could be made that TMX is beating Kiss in chicago in some Dayparts/demos?

Don’t you think a case could be made that TMX is beating Kiss in chicago in some Dayparts/demos?
Probably. A lot of Hot ACs shave off the upper end (and sometimes lower) of CHR. However, given the "dry spell" of music for CHR (outside of a few core artists, which are often shared with Hot AC), the timing is ripe for Hot AC stations to gain the lead overall, I think. Though with golds going farther back on CHR, I do not know.

Last edited:
Similar but not the same. WPOW is more rhythmic than B96. IMO neither are Top 40, because their playlists are too big and play heavies around 50-60 spins a week. A typical CHR is more like 90-100, with a playlist around 150. There are similarities to WTDY, which is now labeled Hot AC.

Depends on what you call a current. I count more than 4. By my definition, one third of the playlist is recurrent (2021-22). Only a handful of 90s.
Definitely more than 4 I will say during certain time periods it's more than others but there still considered CHR. Granted Rhythmic CHR but it's still CHR. Is CHR dead a little.... but Audacy has it in them as they own the highest rated CHR in the country in Scranton so it can be done.

Another thing I forgot to mention the new PD better increase the ratings more significantly than low 2s to at least mid 2s or she will be out of a job. With the appointment of Erik Bradley to Jams it's apparent that both B96 and Jams are staying so she better keep the station profitable like Todd had it and I know the ratings were not high and I know a lot of people here never cared for Todd but he did keep the fume high it billed Top 10 in the city (mostly in top 5) and he kept the expenses low most of the shows were tracked .But the point is a few ratings points won't matter she better keep the dollars flowing . I don't know why she's concentrating on jocks I mean sure local is always better but if they are gonna start spending money again I don't know why they didn't bring back the mix show that's what I would have done . Who cares about some afternoon jock.

Another thing I forgot to mention the new PD better increase the ratings more significantly than low 2s to at least mid 2s or she will be out of a job. With the appointment of Erik Bradley to Jams it's apparent that both B96 and Jams are staying so she better keep the station profitable like Todd had it and I know the ratings were not high and I know a lot of people here never cared for Todd but he did keep the fume high it billed Top 10 in the city (mostly in top 5) and he kept the expenses low most of the shows were tracked .But the point is a few ratings points won't matter she better keep the dollars flowing . I don't know why she's concentrating on jocks I mean sure local is always better but if they are gonna start spending money again I don't know why they didn't bring back the mix show that's what I would have done . Who cares about some afternoon jock.
They should have NEVER gotten rid of the mix show. That was one the stupidest moves B96 could have made. They even decreased the hours it was on. The mixes put the station on top in the first place. If they decide to put them back on, I hope they aren't cookie cutter national playlists like they were towards the end. The playlists need to come from CHICAGO clubs.

.But the point is a few ratings points won't matter she better keep the dollars flowing .
No station in the market even has a single ratings point, let alone "several" they can lose.

Right now, the #1 and #2 stations each have a 0.3 rating. 10 stations have a 0.2 rating.

I think they play on Hot AC and Alternative stations but not AC stations. They may play on some Adult Hits stations but they don’t seem to play them on Mainstream/Active Rock stations.

They should have NEVER gotten rid of the mix show. That was one the stupidest moves B96 could have made. They even decreased the hours it was on. The mixes put the station on top in the first place. If they decide to put them back on, I hope they aren't cookie cutter national playlists like they were towards the end. The playlists need to come from CHICAGO clubs.
Maybe they will bring it back if the ratings don’t go up with their current playlist plus songs from Chicago Clubs into the mix shows but I’m not into rave music at all.

There is no song by The Killers that has ever charted in AC, Hot AC, adult hits, or rock. Somebody Told Me peaked at #51 in the Hot 100, so I doubt very much it would get any play anywhere but alternative.
I think Somebody Told Me only plays. Primarily on Hot AC and Alternative stations but probably some Adult Hits stations as well.

Maybe they will bring it back if the ratings don’t go up with their current playlist plus songs from Chicago Clubs into the mix shows but I’m not into rave music at all.

The thing about a mix show is you need a good mixer. It's not something you can just program into a scheduling software.

Audacy's WXBK NYC has invested a lot into a series of Saturday night mix shows. They could consider sharing some talent.

Back
Top Bottom