• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

B96 WBBM-FM Rhythmic Gold-Leaning Top 40?

You know the first Top 40 station started in Omaha around 1961 1951. They used jukebox plays as their research, and then moved on to record store sales.

Before that, actually. Back copies of the Omaha World-Herald indicate that this was around 1951, and definitely by 1956, the World-Herald's daily radio listings for KOWH simply said, "Top 40".

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not the Hot 100. Why would anyone play a band that has no #1s in any chart except alternative?
There might be some anomalies in my market. KCKC (which has been discussed before) played it, KKJO (out of St. Joseph) has played it, KRBZ (alternative), and KCJK (alt/rock hybrid) is what I was referring to.
Here's KKJO's playlist for today: KJO 105.5 FM (20:41).
KCJK 105.1 The X On Air Playlist (9:34)
Don't have access to KRBZ or KCKC, but they have played it.

Last edited:
How does one spin at 6AM qualify as overplaying a song?
I mean in combination with other stations playing it. I am guessing a lot of people don't run into this song as much as I do, so it's a bad example. It is in light rotation on that station. I didn't hear it then, but heard it other times. In this example, Alt 96.5 plays it the most, but I hear it on the other stations I listed.

That would pre-suppose that lots of people listen to those same four stations. That would also seem a stretch to me.
It could be, especially since it is on a translator and KKJO is technically out of market. Maybe other stations that are more well-listened to try to avoid that type of mash up for a smaller song like that.

Last edited:
Before that, actually. Back copies of the Omaha World-Herald indicate that this was around 1951, and definitely by 1956, the World-Herald's daily radio listings for KOWH simply said, "Top 40".
Yes, that is why I mentioned "around 1951" in a prior post. The best tracking can be seen in the ads in Broadcasting Magazine from 1951 and 1952 and then onward to New Orleans, Oklahoma City, Minneapolis, Miami, Kansas City.

I met Todd Storz a few days before his death in Miami when I was in the initial stage of building my first station. He took hours of his time to teach me "how to do Top 40". I was 18 at the time, and took his advice seriously and his guidance was a big part of my success with HCRM in Quito.

That would pre-suppose that lots of people listen to those same four stations. That would also seem a stretch to me.
And, in any case, a music test does not limit preferences when listening to one station. In fact, most music tests do not even reveal which station or stream is doing the test. It is usually "we represent an organization that wants to find which songs should be played on the radio or your favorite stream today and your input and scores will help them play the music you want to hear".

Actually, you wrote "1961", so you might want to edit that. :)
And I did. Typing by a dyslexic on a cellphone keyboard is a dangerous thing!

Back
Top Bottom