• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Audacy just filed Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

And is completely side-stepping what I'm saying will happen long-term if WEEI doesn't have the broadcast rights to any of Boston's big four teams.

If the rights fees for those teams cost more than they can make, then they go out of business. Simple. No stalemate.

BTW Beasley could be the next company facing possible bankruptcy. If so, all of their sports contracts could be voided in the same way.

Owners don't know s(quat). If they did, they wouldn't be in the financial situation that they are.
Well, that's not a fair statement. Nobody can predict the future, especially when it comes to business, even if it's the one they're in. One of my stations was worth over $5M in 2006, dropped to a third of that valuation in 2008, and was sold for a tenth of that value last year. If I could have predicted the bottom of broadcast valuation would have fallen out during the 08 recession, I could have cashed out prior. Does that mean I didn't know squat too?

Well, that's not a fair statement. Nobody can predict the future, especially when it comes to business, even if it's the one they're in. One of my stations was worth over $5M in 2006, dropped to a third of that valuation in 2008, and was sold for a tenth of that value last year. If I could have predicted the bottom of broadcast valuation would have fallen out during the 08 recession, I could have cashed out prior. Does that mean I didn't know squat too?
It's more than fair, regarding the original statement. It was that my position on this discussion had no merit, and the owners' position is all that mattered. Well, this discussion is happening specifically because the owners' position resulted in the circumstances in the first place.

You are also not on here saying that any additional contributions to the discussion are without merit. Just as you're hurt with me pointing out that the owners at Audacy are in this situation, therefore aren't as all knowing as was claimed to be, I'm equally hurt whener I come here as a listener and am treated like I have no merit. At the end of the day, attitudes by some people here could be part of why listeners are leaving terrestrial radio. I know it's why I left. We're the end product. Without us, there is no business. But when we add our perspective, which can be used as indicidual pieces of qualitative input, we're treated like our voice doesn't matter. We'll, then I'll go elsewhere to consume the media that interests me.

Last edited:
If the rights fees for those teams cost more than they can make, then they go out of business. Simple. No stalemate.

BTW Beasley could be the next company facing possible bankruptcy. If so, all of their sports contracts could be voided in the same way.
They could be. And it is a stalemate, because I still have a point. If what dives listeners to a station is that they have the rights to a team; and due to finances, they need to remove said rights, that may help remedy Audacy's bank account. However, if a subsequent goal is for WEEI to attract listeners, resulting in attracting advertisers, then removing a main reason to listen to WEEI will not help that particular goal. It's the same as a dying mall losing its last anchor tenant.

We are at a statement, because you're observing this from Audacy's buisness perspective, where I'm observing it from WEEI's buisness perspective. Meaning, that if we're saying "who cares about WEEI," then I understand everything you're saying. But if part of the goal is to make WEEI a long-term profitable station for Audacy, then taking away its last remaining big draw (I say that somewhat facetiously as the Red Sox are currently the bottom draw in Boston sports, with the Patriots just nearly above them), without a replacement, then that goal will be lost. Boston isn't a city where the FOX Sports, CBS Sports, or ESPN affiliate is a profitable station, where there are other markets where my observation would be inaccurate (to say the least).

It's more than fair, regarding the original statement. It was that my position on this discussion had no merit, and the owners' position is all that mattered. Well, this discussion is happening specifically because the owners' position resulted in the circumstances in tbe first place.
So, given your premise; have you personally always made positive financial decisions that have been based on information you had at the time? If so, then what are you doing on some inane radio discussion board, rather than being the richest guy on the planet?

They could be. And it is a stalemate, because I still have a point. If what dives listeners to a station is that they have the rights to a team; and due to finances, they need to remove said rights, that may help remedy Audacy's bank account. However, if a subsequent goal is for WEEI to attract listeners, resulting in attracting advertisers, then removing a main reason to listen to WEEI will not help that particular goal. It's the same as a dying mall losing its last anchor tenant.
But, as you agreed with my rights-fee statement earlier; what if the broadcast rights fees and the amount of available inventory during a game, have become so oppressive, that carrying the games will lose Audacy money? Especially at this stage of the game for Audacy, having one station become a financial drag on the chance that they'll lose money because the audience will be less is a business negative, period. Seems to me the bad financial decision would be to keep paying the escalating rights fees.

So, given your premise; have you personally always made positive financial decisions that have been based on information you had at the time? If so, then what are you doing on some inane radio discussion board, rather than being the richest guy on the planet?
I'm here because it interests me. Furthermore, I work in the public sector, realizing that when I die, no monitary fortune comes with me. Therefore, I choose to make financial sacrifices (making enough to feed my family and pay for my children's activities) than try to be "the richest guy on the planet." Perhaps, more than money motives some of us.

And since you want to inquire into what I do, I'm a researcher in the field of education, and possess a doctorate. Therefore, I see numbers (be it money or test scores), as only part of an understanding. There are additional qualitative information necessary to have a complete understanding.

I'm here because it interests me. Furthermore, I work in the public sector, realizing that when I die, no monitary fortune comes with me. Therefore, I choose to make financial sacrifices (making enough to feed my family and pay for my children's activities) than try to be "the richest guy on the planet." Perhaps, more than money motives some of us.
But if making money is your job, and recessions, pandemics, or how Wall St. sees the future for a particular industry is outside your prevalence, then you believe every company leader who ultimately makes the wrong call is incompetent? Really?

But, as you agreed with my rights-fee statement earlier; what if the broadcast rights fees and the amount of available inventory during a game, have become so oppressive, that carrying the games will lose Audacy money? Especially at this stage of the game for Audacy, having one station become a financial drag on the chance that they'll lose money because the audience will be less is a business negative, period. Seems to me the bad financial decision would be to keep paying the escalating rights fees.
Absolutely true. Therefore, it is important to note the perspective. I'm looking at this inward from WEEI. In Boston, successful sports stations (in the sense of attracting listeners) requires local content and broadcast rights to at least a big four team. If the Red Sox go away without a replacement, with WEEI's current status as a far number two to WBZ-FM, then I theorize that WEEI will end up flipping formats.

People are mistaking me for saying that WEEI has to keep the Red Sox. I said it would fail to remain a sports talk station if they lose the Red Sox without a replacement. I said that to stay in the format, they need to have rights to a team. I never said it was in Audacy's best interest to keep the current deal.

But I'm not going to ignore that without one of the teams (and I don't see WEEI picking up one of the other three), that station ends up flipping format.

Absolutely true. Therefore, it is important to note the perspective. I'm looking at this inward from WEEI. In Boston, successful sports stations (in the sense of attracting listeners) requires local content and broadcast rights to at least a big four team. If the Red Sox go away without a replacement, with WEEI's current status as a far number two to WBZ-FM, then I theorize that WEEI will end up flipping formats.
Certainly not Boston, but I worked for a sports station that lost a local team broadcast contract to the competition. Sure ratings went down without the games, but it didn't come close to killing the station financially. The station still had local sports talk hosts during drive times and post games talking about the various games without all the expense and burden that being a broadcast rights holder brings. And honestly, sports stations don't live or die based on ratings. Most national ads are looking to sports stations as desired demographics 18-45 males. That's why all the large beer brewers and car manufacturers buy on sports stations without regard to ratings.

But if making money is your job, and recessions, pandemics, or how Wall St. sees the future for a particular industry is outside your prevalence, then you believe every company leader who ultimately makes the wrong call is incompetent? Really?
No. I feel that saying that anyone on here has no merit to discuss any matter, compared to the leader of the company (especially when the is in bankruptcy) is disrespectful. Therefore, my reaction is that these people don't know more as if they did, they would not be in this situation.

I don't have all the answers, but obviously the owners don't either. It's the reality of the situation. I said it mean, because I was told that I basically had no input and only the owner does. Well, in this case the owner doesn't. It is what it is. However, I wouldn't equate it to incompetence. The variables you mention took a profitable business and made it unprofitable. Therefore, it's time to analyze the data regarding the new variable and adjust. In business, some data should be the input of the consumer. Just like in my work, data has to include the input of the student.

Radio takes that in the form of surveys, but people on here take anything a listener says, and speaks to us like we're gormless. That's my issue. If the owner had the answer, this thread wouldn't exist. They don't, therefore here we are adding our input, from our perspectives and biases.

Certainly not Boston, but I worked for a sports station that lost a local team broadcast contract to the competition. Sure ratings went down without the games, but it didn't come close to killing the station financially. The station still had local sports talk hosts during drive times and post games talking about the various games without all the expense and burden that being a broadcast rights holder brings. And honestly, sports stations don't live or die based on ratings. Most national ads are looking to sports stations as desired demographics 18-45 males. That's why all the large beer brewers and car manufacturers buy on sports stations without regard to ratings.
Just for context, where was the station ratings wise, in comparison to the competition in dayparts? My theory is also based on over a decades worth of ratings where WEEI underperformed compared WBZ-FM. Hypothetically, Greg Hill outperforms Toucher and Hardy, then that would help. But WEEI doesn't outperform WBZ-FM anywhere, except when the Red Sox are playing and WBZ-FM has talk.

Owners don't know s(quat). If they did, they wouldn't be in the financial situation that they are.
All radio is in that situation, with inflation adjusted revenue off by about 2/3 since 2004. Every station is seeing lower total market radio revenue with the biggest hits happening during the 2008 recession and during and following the pandemic. None of these conditions were particularly predictable; even the lenders in both instances did not see either event occurring despite extensive economic models that they use for “best” “worst” situation.
And I'm not buying into your loaded statement about me. Understanding the culture of a city, as a citizen, has equal merit to numbers. It's that exact mentality that has education in the shape it’s in. Someone high up who can't accept any additional observations.
The important thing here is the advertising market. That includes how much advertisers will pay for special programming, such as play-by-play and the general valuation that agencies and big accounts put on radio.

Radio was severely affected by the pandemic and add rates and sales levels are only now trying to recuperate from 2019 levels. Even when the dollars match the huge inflation of the last four years paints a very dark picture for the maintenance of expense programming, features, and talents.

This has nothing to do with the market, understanding of the market, or the people in the market. It is pure economics of income versus expenses.

Remember, sports radio is bought with both general market, budgets and specific sports marketing budgets. The sports marketing money is less ratings, sensitive and based mostly on surrounding content and context.

Just for context, where was the station ratings wise, in comparison to the competition in dayparts? My theory is also based on over a decades worth of ratings where WEEI underperformed compared WBZ-FM. Hypothetically, Greg Hill outperforms Toucher and Hardy, then that would help. But WEEI doesn't outperform WBZ-FM anywhere, except when the Red Sox are playing and WBZ-FM has talk.
Again, a great amount of the billing for all-sports stations From sports marketing budgets and not from general market advertising budgets. Those advertisers are looking for “guilt by association“ in having their ads in a pure sports environment, where there is a great deal of foreground, highly involved, listening.

Even stations that only have a sports block get a great deal of sports specific buying from accounts that would not touch the rest of the radio station. Some years ago the station I programmed in Los Angeles had four hours of sports in afternoon drive and from noon until 8 PM on Sundays; the revenue from those hours was almost all specific buys and came at rates that had absolutely nothing to do with CPM and lots to do with the environment

All radio is in that situation, with inflation adjusted revenue off by about 2/3 since 2004. Every station is seeing lower total market radio revenue with the biggest hits happening during the 2008 recession and during and following the pandemic. None of these conditions were particularly predictable; even the lenders in both instances did not see either event occurring despite extensive economic models that they use for “best” “worst” situation.

The important thing here is the advertising market. That includes how much advertisers will pay for special programming, such as play-by-play and the general valuation that agencies and big accounts put on radio.

Radio was severely affected by the pandemic and add rates and sales levels are only now trying to recuperate from 2019 levels. Even when the dollars match the huge inflation of the last four years paints a very dark picture for the maintenance of expense programming, features, and talents.

This has nothing to do with the market, understanding of the market, or the people in the market. It is pure economics of income versus expenses.

Remember, sports radio is bought with both general market, budgets and specific sports marketing budgets. The sports marketing money is less ratings, sensitive and based mostly on surrounding content and context.
I'm not debating any of this. I'm also not saying that Audacy should keep the Red Sox contract. Plus, my statement was based on Big A's presentation that I didn't have any merit to my position on specifically WEEI. It was harsh, and I admit that. But it was regarding this specific situation. As a researcher, I know that you reference data that is collected. Therefore, I'm not saying that owners are incompetent, as Kelly interpreted my statement. I'm saying that the owners obviously don't have all tbe answers, because of the circumstances that you identify. It was a defense approach to Big A who I interpreted as saying that I shouldn't open my mouth, because I'm not the owner.

With sports specific advertising, given Boston's listener demos, and the current ratings, would you predict WEEI being long-term profitable without the rights to any of the big four teams?

I don't have all the answers, but obviously the owners don't either. It's the reality of the situation. I said it mean, because I was told that I basically had no input and only the owner does. Well, in this case the owner doesn't. It is what it is. However, I wouldn't equate it to incompetence. The variables you mention took a profitable business and made it unprofitable. Therefore, it's time to analyze the data regarding the new variable and adjust.
Okay let's take a quick look at just a few of the variables that broadcasting as an industry has encountered:

*2008 recession devalued all U.S. broadcast properties.
*Competition from streaming that wasn't around twenty years ago.
*Competition from social media where people that used to listen to the radio now spend most of their time.
* Global Pandemic
* 30-60% reduction in national and local ad revenue. Amazon, Home Depot, Walmart has killed local businesses in smaller communities. Many of these businesses don't need or want to advertise on local radio or TV.

Now, given the diversity of all these events; where do you think someone could have predicted and compensated for these occurrences?

In business, some data should be the input of the consumer. Just like in my work, data has to include the input of the student.
And you don't think that the broadcast industry studies consumer habits? Adjustments are being made all the time. Just like any time you deal with humans and their habits, sometimes things stick, and more times they don't.
Radio takes that in the form of surveys, but people on here take anything a listener says, and speaks to us like we're gormless.
That's not true at all. Research is being done all the time. Just because you haven't been included, doesn't mean it isn't happening.

They could be. And it is a stalemate, because I still have a point.

But your point is not based on actual financial information. So you're trying to make a financial point without information.

This decision will be made on actual financial information, which you don't have.

Okay let's take a quick look at just a few of the variables that broadcasting as an industry has encountered:

*2008 recession devalued all U.S. broadcast properties.
*Competition from streaming that wasn't around twenty years ago.
*Competition from social media where people that used to listen to the radio now spend most of their time.
* Global Pandemic
* 30-60% reduction in national and local ad revenue. Amazon, Home Depot, Walmart has killed local businesses in smaller communities. Many of these businesses don't need or want to advertise on local radio or TV.

Now, given the diversity of all these events; where do you think someone could have predicted and compensated for these occurrences?

And you don't think that the broadcast industry studies consumer habits? Adjustments are being made all the time. Just like any time you deal with humans and their habits, sometimes things stick, and more times they don't.

That's not true at all. Research is being done all the time. Just because you haven't been included, doesn't mean it isn't happening.
Absolutely not, concerning owners ability to predict. But don't profess them to be the all knowing (not you specifically). That's my issue. Also, I never said that radio doesn't take in qualitative data. I said that Big A was only going off numbers and dismissing my input.

But your point is not based on actual financial information. So you're trying to make a financial point without information.

This decision will be made on actual financial information, which you don't have.
I'm making a point of listener habits, which is a necessary understanding to be profitable in your buisness.

Plus, my statement was based on Big A's presentation that I didn't have any merit to my position on specifically WEEI. It was harsh, and I admit that.

I never used those words. But if you're going to make a financial statement, you need to know the finances.

It was a defense approach to Big A who I interpreted as saying that I shouldn't open my mouth, because I'm not the owner.

You can't discuss the financials of any business if you don't actually know them. Ownership isn't the issue.

Back
Top Bottom