• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Atlanta Radio Ratings: October 2023

Very impressed with 99x’s last two books. They’ve taken a niche within a niche format and have some great ratings to show for it.
Question for David and/or Huff:
How do the station’s ratings compare to the station’s 90s heyday?

I know 6+ is useless and comparing PPM to diary isn’t the best- just looking for some trivia.
David has historical ratings reports on his site - RADIO and RECORDS RATINGS REPORT: 90's and 00's ratings results.

Seems to have generally ranged from mid fours to mid fives throughout the 90s. Highest I saw in my quick peek was a 5.9.

Yep Z104.3 is struggling real bad and is trying to put in more 90's/2K/2010's CHR titles from hip hop, pop, and alternative to try to gain traction. They still mix in today's music though.

Bring AC back to ATL and chip away some
B’s numbers.

CHR sounds horrible these days. I can’t imagine Ryan Seacrest feeling good about the future of Top 40.

When I was in town earlier last month I noticed the Peach was hard to get. It was on an HD3. That’s unfortunate because it really should be on HD1 ;). There only needs to be ONE CHR these days considering how underwhelming these are. But hey it’s IHM, so they know what is right. 🙄

Also, why is Sunny 99.1 in Houston an exceptional AC station and Atlanta can’t afford to have one of their own? Will it just not bill well?

Makes sense. I'm in my mid 40s and really dig the station. I was in high school when much of the music they play was released.
This. I’ll be 42 in December and the resurrected 99X’s playlist is really terrific, and dare I say even better/more varied/curated than the likes of Lithium on SiriusXM. It’s nice to see songs from the likes of Tori Amos or The Sugarcubes show up in the rotation.

Terrible. In Philadelphia, Audacy flipped WTDY to Hot AC, and they're now beating iHeart's CHR WIOQ.

Nationally CHRs are either adding more gold or going in a more rhythmic direction.

You know the music is in trouble when CHRs are playing country songs by Morgan Wallen and Luke Combs. But if you look at the streaming charts, those songs are what people in demo want to hear.
Totally disagree. CHR is at its best when it plays the big hits..no matter where they come from. Country crossovers at CHR/Top 40 had been a staple for years. Prior to these two songs, Gabby Barrett was probably the last one to do it. And when you consider country...for the most part today...is just another pop music format....I'm surprised more haven't crossed over.

Top 5+ demo rankings analysis by Reasearch Director Inc.:

25-54: 1T. WSRV 1T. WVEE 3. WNNX 4. WAMJ (down from #1) 5. WSB-AM
18-34: 1. WVEE 2. WSRV 3. WALR 4. WSB-AM (up from #10T) 5. WWSZ (up from #10T)
_______ 6T. WSB-FM 6T. WAMJ 8T. WWWQ (down from #5T) 8T. WHTA (down from #5T)
18-49: 1. WSRV 2. WVEE 3. WNNX 4. WAMJ 5T. WMMJ 5T. WSB-AM (up from #10)
_______ 7T. WSB-FM 7T. WALR 9. WHTA (down from #5T)
Wow. Congrats to V103. I had no clue they had demos this good. I thought they fell off when Frank Ski and Wanda left

Totally disagree. CHR is at its best when it plays the big hits..no matter where they come from. Country crossovers at CHR/Top 40 had been a staple for years. Prior to these two songs, Gabby Barrett was probably the last one to do it. And when you consider country...for the most part today...is just another pop music format....I'm surprised more haven't crossed over.
Lots of country and R&B crossovers (plus a lot of AC) can be an indicator of a lack of quality CHR product. Look at the charts from 1981 or 1991.

Back
Top Bottom