• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Atlanta Radio Ratings: October 2023

Covering the survey period from Thu. 9/14/2023 thru Wed. 10/11/2023, age 6+ overall:
OR Radio Industry News, Radio Show Prep, Radio Promotions, Radio Station Data, Podcast News
OR https://www.urbaninsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/ATLANTA-1.htm

Top 5+ demo rankings analysis from Research Director Inc. will be available on Tue. 10/31/2023 -
(likely at the web address below):

Three observations:

Power 96 continues to be the worst-rated, full-power legacy signal in the city. What is their deal? Is CHR in another one of their music doldrums? How is CHR doing nationally, especially in large markets with two big signals?
Could iHeart pull a 99X and bring back 96 Rock to make a run at The River? There's a lot of legacy talent (SSS, Rude, Wachs, others) that could be poached from smaller stations (i.e., not Kaedy and not von Haessler), if their contracts would allow it or if iHeart made it worth everyone's while.

I didn't know just how bad WBIN is doing until I saw their cume, especially in comparison with WAOK. How has BIN been doing in other markets? I know iHeart has "locked in" national sponsors, but how long will this last? I don't even see billboards for them anymore. It just strikes me that this project has run its course.

Country seems to be regaining its footing.

Lastly, any news on what Cumulus might be doing with the 98.9 translator? All-Christmas?

Wow - 99X beating all iHeart stations as well as Q. They’re performing better than I predicted and it seems to have legs.

CHR is still in very bad doldrums nationwide, but Power’s performance is abysmal. There’s nothing exciting about it. A CHR in a top 10 market and their morning show is on the other side of the country and to my knowledge not even very popular there. I can’t think of another market this large where iHeart has just dropped the ball with CHR.

How is CHR doing nationally, especially in large markets with two big signals?

Terrible. In Philadelphia, Audacy flipped WTDY to Hot AC, and they're now beating iHeart's CHR WIOQ.

Nationally CHRs are either adding more gold or going in a more rhythmic direction.

You know the music is in trouble when CHRs are playing country songs by Morgan Wallen and Luke Combs. But if you look at the streaming charts, those songs are what people in demo want to hear.

Not only is Power in the toilet, but so is KYLD in San Francisco (who is getting crushed by its Bonneville-owned in-format competition), WFLZ in Tampa, Q102 in Philadelphia, 96.5 Kiss FM in Cleveland and Hot 99.5 in Washington. Kiss 108 in Boston and Kiss 106 in Dallas - while still healthy - are both well below historical norms.

WIHT in Washington has crashed from a 4.0 share to a 2.3 share in just four months' time.

iHM used to thoroughly impress me with the performance of its CHR stations. These days - not so much. They do still certainly have some impressive performers, such as Detroit's WKQI and New York's legendary Z100.

The location of the morning show isn't hurting Magic.

Power is beating Q in cume, and Q has a local morning show.
Jubal's being on the other side of the country wouldn't be as much of an issue if he were on the East Coast and the station were on the West Coast. But with Jubal on the West Coast and Power on the East Coast, his show on Power consists of tracks from the prior day's Seattle show. And yes, Jubal does get beaten in Seattle by his former station, "MOViN 92.5."

When you say Magic, I assume you're speaking of Steve Harvey on Majic 107-5/97-5. Steve Harvey is in Atlanta though part of the cast is in Houston.

Last edited:
I work closely with that station. He might visit other markets, but his home base is Atlanta, and he regularly does the show from there.

How much does he talk about the local traffic, local weather, local issues? I'm not talking about where he originates.

Do you think about the fact that he's mostly in Atlanta affects the ratings at Magic at all? I don't.

It seems like syndication in AM (and even PM) drive is much more prevalent with urban/urban AC formats than others, and does well. Once you get outside of larger markets, it’s not uncommon for all urban stations in a market to be syndicated in morning drive and carry the likes of Rickey Smiley, Steve Harvey, and The Breakfast Club. WJMZ in Greenville is just one example, syndicated in AM and PM drive and still getting great numbers like always, although they don’t have much competition

Once you get outside of larger markets, it’s not uncommon for all urban stations in a market to be syndicated in morning drive and carry the likes of Rickey Smiley, Steve Harvey, and The Breakfast Club.

Those hosts are also in major markets, such as NY, LA, Chicago, and DC. Steve Harvey is top rated in most of those places. Not just Atlanta.

Very impressed with 99x’s last two books. They’ve taken a niche within a niche format and have some great ratings to show for it.
Question for David and/or Huff:
How do the station’s ratings compare to the station’s 90s heyday?

I know 6+ is useless and comparing PPM to diary isn’t the best- just looking for some trivia.

How much does he talk about the local traffic, local weather, local issues? I'm not talking about where he originates.

Do you think about the fact that he's mostly in Atlanta affects the ratings at Magic at all? I don't.
No, I don't think it affects his ratings at Majic. I was just correcting your statement that he was located elsewhere.

Top 5+ demo rankings analysis by Reasearch Director Inc.:

25-54: 1T. WSRV 1T. WVEE 3. WNNX 4. WAMJ (down from #1) 5. WSB-AM
18-34: 1. WVEE 2. WSRV 3. WALR 4. WSB-AM (up from #10T) 5. WWSZ (up from #10T)
_______ 6T. WSB-FM 6T. WAMJ 8T. WWWQ (down from #5T) 8T. WHTA (down from #5T)
18-49: 1. WSRV 2. WVEE 3. WNNX 4. WAMJ 5T. WMMJ 5T. WSB-AM (up from #10)
_______ 7T. WSB-FM 7T. WALR 9. WHTA (down from #5T)

I seem to remember 99X peaking in the mid or upper 5s in the mid or late 90s in ages 12+. Wouldn't surprise me if they had a book or two even higher.

Very impressed with 99x’s last two books. They’ve taken a niche within a niche format and have some great ratings to show for it.
Question for David and/or Huff:
How do the station’s ratings compare to the station’s 90s heyday?

I know 6+ is useless and comparing PPM to diary isn’t the best- just looking for some trivia.
They've gone from a currents-based format originally to a gold-based format. That has enabled them to have a much broader playlist that includes late 70s and 80s alternative, which reaches a broader audience (like River), isn't dependent on the quality of new product (vs. country and CHR), and enables much less repetition and burn.

They've gone from a currents-based format originally to a gold-based format. That has enabled them to have a much broader playlist that includes late 70s and 80s alternative, which reaches a broader audience (like River), isn't dependent on the quality of new product (vs. country and CHR), and enables much less repetition and burn.

Thus the demos are at the higher end of the spectrum: 35-54+

Top 5+ demo rankings analysis by Reasearch Director Inc.:

25-54: 1T. WSRV 1T. WVEE 3. WNNX 4. WAMJ (down from #1) 5. WSB-AM
18-34: 1. WVEE 2. WSRV 3. WALR 4. WSB-AM (up from #10T) 5. WWSZ (up from #10T)
_______ 6T. WSB-FM 6T. WAMJ 8T. WWWQ (down from #5T) 8T. WHTA (down from #5T)
18-49: 1. WSRV 2. WVEE 3. WNNX 4. WAMJ 5T. WMMJ 5T. WSB-AM (up from #10)
_______ 7T. WSB-FM 7T. WALR 9. WHTA (down from #5T)
99X at #3 25-54? Wow. I am shook.

Back
Top Bottom