• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the Week: 1170

cyberdad

Administrator
Staff member
NW Chicago suburbs.....

Days: Splatter from local WYLL (1160) and semi local WSQR (1180))

Mights: 1170 is mostly empty. WWVA ocasionally sneaks in. Less frequently KTSB (ex KVOO)

Sunrise - sunset: WWVA usually with a good signal

Retro/other location: During our 2016 stay 30 miles south of Florence, Italy, The RAI outlet was one of only two listenable MW signals on the band during daytime, From Pisa, IIRC. Fair-good signal from about 55 milesto our west.

East Tennessee: Days--slop from 1180 WVLZ, nothing otherwise. WDEK, Columbia SC can make it sunsets/
Nights---WWVA. When most of WWVA's towers came down in the derecho in 2010, I was able to get the temporary longwire's signal pretty well, with deep fades.
A spot check last week netted me WAVS, Davie, FL o/u WWVA.

Denver, CO:

Daytime: KJJD Windsor, CO (Fort Collins-Loveland area). No nighttime power. "La Ley", regional Mexican.

Nighttime: A surprisingly weak KTSB Tulsa, OK, all-sports, "The Blitz". Other signals are mixing it up on 1170 but are too weak to identify.

Kenosha, WI Days- WFDL Waupun, WI. 1000 Watts ND daytimer from 85 miles. Always there, but not exactly strong.

Nights- Most common is WWVA, sometimes pretty good. KTSB Tulsa (ex-KVOO) also common, especially during critical hours. I know there's more under there, but never identified.

DFW, Texas

Days: Splatter from local KBDT-1160.
Nights: KTSB Tulsa with sports talk, always strong. I sometimes hear XERT Reynosa under KTSB. Heard WDFB Junction City KY during its DX test in 2023.
Same, other than no daytime KBDT splatter here in Tyler. I don't know how I feel about this whole call letter change in Tulsa. I just barely got used to calling it KFAQ instead of KVOO. 🤷‍♂️

1170 - WAVS - Davie FL - Waves Radio - Caribbean - English 2024 - sunset

1170 - WWVA Wheeling Newsradio 1170 News, talk, Christian – FNR 2016 - nights

Melbourne FL

Bellingham WA

Local KPUG day and night. Sports talker ESPN/Fox with lots of local HS PBP, Mariners, Seahawks, Kraken. 10/5 regional. Saga station- they own this little market with 2 Class C FMs (Hot AC and Classic Rock) and three AM into Translators (news talk/ sports/ Classic Hits.)

The one time I caught them off for maint. I heard a very faint religious talk show. Not enough to get a TOH, but would guess maybe KJNP North Pole/ Fairbanks AK before they dropped to night power? The other stations on the frequency don't seem to match the programming I heard.

KJNP = "King Jesus North Pole." 50/22 ND

From the southwest suburbs of Chicago ...

1170 is a spot on the dial I don't land on often. I did last week for a while before dusk and got mush.

Traditionally the regular night visitor has been WWVA Wheeling, W.Va. KVOO / KFAQ Tulsa (yet to hear as KTSB) has been a sunsetter in the last.

Two bonuses thanks to daytimers staying up late: WFDL Waupun, Wis. and KFOW Waseca, Minn., both in 2020.

Rochester NY is, as you'd expect, mostly WHAM splatter. At night a good receiver can pull in WWVA, and that's about all.

From Pickerington, Ohio, a moderately strong WWVA daytime and nothing to replace it at night. When they change patterns, they are absolutely gone here to the point that I've never heard even the weakest sign of them after dark.
I'm about 110 miles west of their towers.
I have heard them quite well in northeast Ohio, especially east of Cleveland.

Here in Wood Dale, IL (near NW suburb of Chicago):

Daytime: just splatter from WYLL
Nighttime: WWVA or KTSB

DX/Retro: others heard include KSTT (now KBOB) (Davenport, IA), WLKE (now WFDL) (Waupun, WI), WCXN (Claremont, NC), WDEK (Lexington, SC), KFOW (Waseca, MN), KJXX (Jackson, MO), HJNW (Cartagena, Colombia) and XERT (Reynoso, Mexico). Latest new logs on this frequency are WGMP (Montgomery, AL) in 2022 and WDFB (Junction City, KY) in 2023.

Springfield, OH:

Day: Weak but reliable WWVA, 160 miles away. One of my farthest routine daytime pickups.
Night: WWVA, always there, though I can null it out.
Dusk, one time pick up of WCXN, Claremont, NC. in Jan '24.

WWVA's night signal must go right over me then. I have seen plenty of reports of them being heard at night well to my west over the years, but I've never picked them up here. I don't camp out on 1170 or anything, but every time I've checked in the Columbus area, it's nothing but mush next to WHAM.
Even if I happen to be along 70 out near Cambridge at night, or on 77 between there and Canton, their null is really deep. It's very noticeable once you get south of Canton.

San Francisco Peninsula: KLOK in San Jose, day and night. The key station for a small chain of all-Punjabi (Indian) stations. The others are in the San Juaquin Valley (Sacramento, Fresno, Yuba City/Marysville), all AM's with what appears like a translator attached. Strong signal, a directional 50Kw days, ND 9Kw nights, covers almost all of the SFBA.

Clifton, New Jersey

Days: I can get daytime-only WWTR "EBC Radio" Bridgewater, NJ, which airs a South Asian music format. Reception is usually weak.

Nights: I receive WWVA "NewsRadio 1170 WWVA" Wheeling, WV, which airs News, Talk and paid religious programming. I usually get good reception of this station.

Back
Top Bottom