• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

99.7 khgp-lp now on air

BTW I haven't heard the Monaville 102.5 KULF translator in a couple of weeks.

Update: I heard the 102.5 translator at the Fairfield Outlet Center (290 at Grand Parkway) on Wednesday 3/4. Mediocre signal, not as strong as when previously heard at a greater distance.

When KFMK went from CCM to Top40/AC, I was surprised.....found it on a return trip from Houston back to BPT...was going over the old Trinity River bridge and tuned across 97.9 and WHAT??? WOW!! I set a button to it....though I lost it down I10 a few miles later, I had a new station to listen to while in Houston.....It had a great sound...(along with KRBE and KAUM, etc back then)....

The good ole' days of PERSONALITY radio.....which people like...not robot radio

For one week after KFMK went silent, you could hear KZEW all over Houston. REALLY good week of listening!

A familiar voice from back in the day Lee Jolly. Caught the cast yesterday in the medical center. Good deal!

“As for me being an "informer," if that's what people want to call me, its fine. Others have referred to me as the self-appointed Houston radio police. When I see someone in the radio industry doing wrong, I am quick to let Mr. Lee know and. if its above his pay grade, take it to the good folks in Washington.”

I'm sure Mr. Lee, the staff at the Houston Field Office, or their counterparts in our nation's capital are honored and privileged to have someone of your experience and qualifications working diligently to insure that Houston's broadcasters are completely honest and even-handed as trustees of the public airwaves.

However, that being said, I personally feel that your efforts may be misguided, because you seem to be focusing on legal and ethical licensees who have followed the applicable rules and regulations governing the issuance of their permits and the operations of their broadcast stations. In fact, from the content of your post, I believe your motives may be simply sour grapes.

Since you mentioned Low-Power FM, did you realize that of the 37 applications filed for operation within the Houston metropolitan area during most-recent window, 25 of them were for Hispanic religious organizations? That's 68% of the total submitted applications.

The Houston area has a population of 6,177,035. Of this, 1,730,000 are Hispanic. This represents 28% of the population. Now, of that roughly half, or 14% speak only Spanish, and of that number, I would estimate that half again would have any interest in religious programming. Therefore, we have 68% of the applications being accepted for filing, which will serve 7% of the population. The Commission is very desirous of diversity, however this is precisely the opposite, and therefore the public interest, convenience and necessity are not being fulfilled.

In addition, Rice University has filed an informal objection to several applications filed by an individual who is apparently operating an application mill using fraudulent information. As you may know, Rice had their own student-run radio station that, for some reason, was acquired by University of Houston. If UH was seeking additional capacity, perhaps they were unaware of HD Radio, which seemed to be to make much more sense rather than displace Rice and deprive their students from learning experiences. In any event, Rice also filed for a LPFM station, and has been placed in an MX group as a result of the Spanish submissions. Therefore, they have a dog in the race.

I realize that you are an aspiring broadcaster, and that's great. You seem like a very knowledgeable person, and you have obviously completed a great deal of research. I'm sorry you feel cheated by being denied the ability to participate, however your actions, or inaction, are not the responsibility of those who have acted appropriately. If you feel Roy Henderson has defrauded you, your remedy is in the legal system, and I encourage you to consult with a proficient attorney.

In the meantime, if you still wish to engage Mr. Lee or his superiors, I trust I (as well as Rice University) have given you plenty of ammunition.

If you feel Roy Henderson has defrauded you, your remedy is in the legal system, and I encourage you to consult with a proficient attorney

The moderators of this board have asked this subject not be discussed due to potential litigation. Please send a private message if you wish to discuss this subject further...

However, that being said, I personally feel that your efforts may be misguided, because you seem to be focusing on legal and ethical licensees who have followed the applicable rules and regulations governing the issuance of their permits and the operations of their broadcast stations. In fact, from the content of your post, I believe your motives may be simply sour grapes.

While we are all anonymous on this board, I feel 99 percent sure I know who you are from a recent almost identical conversation. Personally, I like and admire you, and the things you have accomplished. The Creator instilled in every human being a conscience that knows right from wrong. I'm sorry you feel my efforts are misguided, but I have filed oppositions only where I have found wrongdoing. Perjury on applications is WRONG. Identity theft is WRONG. That's all I got to say.

Johnny Goyen

A familiar voice from back in the day Lee Jolly. Caught the cast yesterday in the medical center. Good deal!

I heard Johnny Goyen early this afternoon, talking about the last days at KFMK. What stories he could tell! Perhaps he will be given a platform to do so. Id love to see some airtime devoted to an oral retelling of Houston broadcast history, especially from the Sixties, Seventies and Eighties. Before the remaining Legends are no longer with us.

How many of you remember when John Lander and the Q Morning Zoo sponsored a free Bangles concert to commemorate the opening of the Sam Houston Tollway at I-10 West? The assembled crowd (me included) was jumping up and down so much they Lander nearly cancelled the concern for safety reasons.

While we are all anonymous on this board, I feel 99 percent sure I know who you are from a recent almost identical conversation. Personally, I like and admire you, and the things you have accomplished. The Creator instilled in every human being a conscience that knows right from wrong. I'm sorry you feel my efforts are misguided, but I have filed oppositions only where I have found wrongdoing. Perjury on applications is WRONG. Identity theft is WRONG. That's all I got to say.

In that case, I hope I have provided you with some background so you can pursue those who have fraudulently manipulated the system to serve their own selfish pursuits. As I stated above, I believe you are an intelligent and knowledgeable individual, however I believe you are wasting that effort on those who have properly applied for and received LPFM construction permits and license grants. This seems to me to be counter-productive, and can only cause problems for you in the future because it will alienate and distance those who would otherwise be willing to help you.

Rice had their own student-run radio station that, for some reason, was acquired by University of Houston.

The "some reason" was that Rice University willingly put KTRU up for sale, and The University of Houston was the buyer. You make it sound as if it was some mysterious and underhanded deal.

BTW, KTRU was owned by Rice University, and NOT by the Rice University students, contrary to the delusional beliefs of some. If Rice students wanted it to be "their" station they should have outbid the $10 million that UH paid for the station.

If UH was seeking additional capacity, perhaps they were unaware of HD Radio, which seemed to be to make much more sense rather than displace Rice and deprive their students from learning experiences.

KUHF had been running HD with HD2 and HD3 subchannels for several years prior to the acquisition of 91.7, so they were well aware of HD Radio. Silly assertion.

And please note that the KTRU programming has continued to this day online, as well as on KPFT HD2. Nobody has been deprived of their "learning experiences."

In any event, Rice also filed for a LPFM station, and has been placed in an MX group as a result of the Spanish submissions. Therefore, they have a dog in the race.

And Rice has already won that race, having been granted a LPFM on 96.1. The other MX applicants either changed frequency or withdrew their application. This is a more appropriate outlet for the type of programming that KTRU was known for.

Last edited:
Since you mentioned Low-Power FM, did you realize that of the 37 applications filed for operation within the Houston metropolitan area during most-recent window, 25 of them were for Hispanic religious organizations? That's 68% of the total submitted applications.

The Houston area has a population of 6,177,035. Of this, 1,730,000 are Hispanic. This represents 28% of the population. Now, of that roughly half, or 14% speak only Spanish, and of that number, I would estimate that half again would have any interest in religious programming. Therefore, we have 68% of the applications being accepted for filing, which will serve 7% of the population. The Commission is very desirous of diversity, however this is precisely the opposite, and therefore the public interest, convenience and necessity are not being fulfilled.

I am glad somebody besides me had the guts to post this. At least we weren't blanketed by Calvary Chapel applications, which would serve even less percentage of the population.

I'm sorry, but what does it matter what racial makeup a potential applicant has? So, 68 percent of the applications filed for low power service were Hispanic based. You know what that says to me? There's not a lot of güeros around this town with an interest in analog broadcasting. At least not enough interest to get off their butts and begin the process to own one. The churches do have that interest, and end up finding someone with the know how to get one filed, granted, and on the air to spread their message. We certainly do have bad apples in the bunch, there's no doubt about it, but making a blanket statement that these types of station, simply because they are operated by a Hispanic ministry are not serving public interest is a complete farce. They don't serve YOUR interest, but you can not speak for the other 6,177,034 Houstonians.

...and that's what purplesez.

BTW, how many applications did either of you file to help more evenly balance those diversity numbers between Anglos and nons?

The "some reason" was that Rice University willingly put KTRU up for sale, and The University of Houston was the buyer. You make it sound as if it was some mysterious and underhanded deal.

BTW, KTRU was owned by Rice University, and NOT by the Rice University students, contrary to the delusional beliefs of some. If Rice students wanted it to be "their" station they should have outbid the $10 million that UH paid for the station.

KUHF had been running HD with HD2 and HD3 subchannels for several years prior to the acquisition of 91.7, so they were well aware of HD Radio. Silly assertion.

And KUHF is owned by University of Houston, not the University of Houston students. But at some point years ago, the students were excluded from the station. I thought the reason for the university was to provide "learning experiences" for the students, particularly those in their Radio-Television Department. Perhaps I'm wrong about this.

If KUHF was simulcasting HD subcarriers, why did they need KTRU? Isn't this more about monopolistic behavior and less about diversity, which is what the Commission and current Administration seem to be keenly interested in?

You never identified why University of Houston required the second FM allotment.

I'm sorry, but what does it matter what racial makeup a potential applicant has?

The Federal Communications Commission apparently feels this is important, that the population is proportionately-represented. Perhaps that's a question you should pose to them directly, or maybe Joe Donalson can do it for you, since he has an interpresonal relationship that extends from Steve Lee all the way to D.C.

And KUHF is owned by University of Houston, not the University of Houston students. But at some point years ago, the students were excluded from the station. I thought the reason for the university was to provide "learning experiences" for the students, particularly those in their Radio-Television Department. Perhaps I'm wrong about this.

This is a common issue at many large colleges and universities, where students can't get real "hands on" experience at the school owned radio station. Anyone wanting such experience should do some research before applying to schools and find out if students really get practical training. At many smaller schools the students do virtually everything.

The University of Houston does have COOG Radio, which is an online station run by the students: http://coogradio.com/ Often wondered if UH would consider adding it as an HD4 of KUHF or an HD2 of KUHA (which is not currently in HD.) They may not want to crunch the bandwidth on KUHF due to the music programming already on the HD2/3.

If KUHF was simulcasting HD subcarriers, why did they need KTRU?

KUHF had long been a hybrid of Classical Music and spoken word Public Radio. When it first went HD the main channel and the HD2 were scheduled the opposite of each other: When the main channel was running music, the HD2 had spoken word; when the main was running spoken word, the HD2 had Classical. With the tiny number of HD sets at the time listeners with standard FM receivers were missing out on a lot of program options, and many public radio programs were not being cleared here. Acquiring a second station meant that KUHF could be devoted exclusively to spoken word, and KUHA to Classical full time.

Isn't this more about monopolistic behavior and less about diversity, which is what the Commission and current Administration seem to be keenly interested in?

In a market with over 40 FM stations, how is UH owning two stations "monopolistic"? And KUHA is Houston's only Classical station. There are no others. I would think that defines adding to the diversity on the FM band.

Rice University could have sold KTRU to any not-for-profit organization. It could just as easily wound up as another satellite fed religious station. Once again, Rice willingly sold the station. It was not stolen, as you seem to imply.

You never identified why University of Houston required the second FM allotment.

I just did. And, if you think that the HD subchannels are all that is needed for additional program streams from KUHF, then why aren't you satisfied with the availability of KTRU programming on KPFT HD2 and online?

This is a common issue at many large colleges and universities, where students can't get real "hands on" experience at the school owned radio station.

But at Rice, which I believe meets the criteria of a "large college or university," the students ran the station. Now they don't. Neither do the students at University of Houston. But at one time in the not-too-distant past, they did. I'm not sure why the change came about and they were locked-out, but perhaps you can provide some insight. It really doesn't make sense to me for a university with an RTV program, who has both a licensed, full-power radio and television station, to not allow their students to use them as learning laboratories.

Unfortunately, without real-world experience, a B.A. in RTV from UH will only get you so far. And a smaller, community college who operates their student-run station in a manner other than that of a real radio station is mistraining their students to function properly in the real world.

In that case, I hope I have provided you with some background so you can pursue those who have fraudulently manipulated the system to serve their own selfish pursuits. As I stated above, I believe you are an intelligent and knowledgeable individual, however I believe you are wasting that effort on those who have properly applied for and received LPFM construction permits and license grants. This seems to me to be counter-productive, and can only cause problems for you in the future because it will alienate and distance those who would otherwise be willing to help you.

Robertsez, I don't know if you and he are the same, but another person also recently tried to encourage me to go on the offensive against a certain Hispanic broadcaster involved with LPFM applications. And then there was a post by somebody not too long ago in another thread that was all too clear.

Joseph Joseph Joseph. You are about to have major problems. You are walking on people that have nota to do with your issues. Refocus back to Roy. Go digging for where he hid money in Central America. Dig up what happened in 1982 to his good time girl. Gloria Stephan in Montgomery, Texas. What others are doing is none of your concern. Grok it.

I Googled the user name and it is clear enough who was talking. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B07UV8MD2io

Had the Hispanics messed me over, it wouldn't matter. I'd pursue them as relentlessly as I have others. But they didn't, so I don't care what they do. I have no beef with them.

Last edited:
But at Rice, which I believe meets the criteria of a "large college or university," the students ran the station. Now they don't.

KTRU continues to exist as an online station, as well as being broadcast on KPFT HD2. The students have run the station all along. And soon they will have a new LPFM to continue into the future.

You don't actually have to be "on the air" in the traditional sense to receive radio/TV training. On the TV side, many colleges operate cable channels. And "radio" can be online, which is probably the future anyway. You get the same experience in broadcast production.

I sense you were a KTRU fan who is still angry about its demise on 91.7 four years ago.

Had the Hispanics messed me over, I'd pursue them as relentlessly as I have others. But they didn't, so I don't care what they do. I don't want no trouble.

So, when you say, "As for me being an 'informer,' if that's what people want to call me, its fine. Others have referred to me as the self-appointed Houston radio police. When I see someone in the radio industry doing wrong, I am quick to let Mr. Lee know and. if its above his pay grade, take it to the good folks in Washington," that's all just a bunch of bloviating by a prospective broadcaster who feels he's been somehow taken advantage of.

If you want to be the "self-appointed Houston radio police," fine and dandy. As I stated before, I'm sure Mr. Lee, his staff, and his counterparts in Washington are absolutely thrilled to have your constant and repeated assistance in maintaining broadcast integrity in the Houston market. However, I provided you with plenty of ammunition for this very purpose, and your response was, "Had the Hispanics messed me over, I'd pursue them as relentlessly as I have others. But they didn't, so I don't care what they do. I don't want no trouble." So, I guess you have no intention of "relentlessly pursuing" those who have done wrong, and are misusing the system for their own financial gain. In fact, the only ones you appear to be pursuing are legal broadcasters who are operating within the rules. In fact, that's what this thread was all about in the beginning. But as I said before, it has the appearance of sour grapes.

By the way, I'm still waiting for you to prove the two statements you made about me, and I did ask you nicely. I'm especially interested in knowing which translators I'm shuffling around.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom