• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

99.7 khgp-lp now on air

While this thread has strayed from the original topic, you gentlemen are making some very astute observations. I thought I'd add my two cents worth. And for sake of clarity, for those of you on this board who may not be aware of an earlier posts, I'm the elder Joe. Both my son and I use the same account when navigating this forum.

A question has been raised that implicitly asks why our ministry would want to add another religious station to the already saturated Houston market. Actually, what I eventually plan to do is tweak the JoeFM format (www.JoeFM.net) that my son established online to more closely follow what the good folks in Dallas have on 88.5 KEOM. A mixture of secular music with words of encouragement. If you recall Jon Rivers' PowerLine, then you know what I am getting at here. God recently gave this ministry an abandoned radio tower. He will provide a license to go with it when HE is ready.

As for Osteen: “‘This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’ You leave the commandment of God and hold to the tradition of men.” And he said to them, “You have a fine way of rejecting the commandment of God in order to establish your tradition!" Mark 7: 6-9

KEOM is an excellent station. I really miss it. 106.1 pales in comparison - they are all over the place musically and have no consistent format.

KEOM has NO religious programming on it whatsoever....don't know who thinks it does....operated by the public Mesquite ISD, it cannot carry any such programming. The music is 1970s (though I understand they are adding some 80s now)....and has been for a long time.

I could relate similar stories - perhaps you could elaborate on the miserable treatment I heard Buddy Holiday got. I heard stories about WCIE, only in that case the station was making plenty of money, it was a bunch of doddering old fools who conducted a "raid" because the station was too much fun for young people to listen to. Then they had to sell to make good on some shady real estate investments.

Nobody is perfect, except Christ. You need to start looking at him, not his followers. After the treatment I got at CC Plano, I could and from the world's point of view should have shucked Christianity. But that was his mis-guided followers, not Christ.

Joel Osteen gets a lot of haters, but I doubt any of them have actually listened to one of his sermons. I was prepared to dismiss him as "name it and claim it" heresy like I did his father, but instead I found him scripturally sound in every single message. As for the Summit deal - it was the Summit - not Lakewood - that was unusable. I went there many times, and towards the end it was run down and dirty. Lakewood has rennovated - and I bet a lot of that money was to haul off asbestos and lead paint and other problems the building had. Houston wasn't stupid, the building probably had many problems, they knew it, and unloaded it because it would have cost much more to tear down. It is said Lakewood is one of our top tourist attractions, and the city was looking at tax revenue from nearby businesses that benefit from the large number of attendees at Lakewood.

Osteen preaches "prosperity" gospel.......which a lot of mainstream religious folks are totally against. Popoff and others are like that as well....send them $1000 and expect 10x back...where is the salvation in that?? and the reality? It doesnt happen.....sending money to a "minister" is no guarantee of being saved....but folks do it thinking it will....playing off human weaknesses.

The Bible warns of false prophets "standing on street corners" and wearing clothes of fine clothes and silks....I put most TV preachers in $1000 suits to be in that class....They dont care about saving souls.......or helping people..they only care about one thing...LOOKS and $$$$$

Dated a girl who went to Lakewood (twice!)....Because of this being an open/family type forum, I won't post what she did one night just before going to Lakewood....but it just confirmed what I thought of most, if not all, the people who go there...Organized religion is a man made thing and is only in it for the $$$ and material things....

IF God wanted a ministry to help those who needed it the most, things donated to the ministry would be scrapped, sold, etc and the money used to help those in need as Jesus said to....

and thats my final $0.02 on this

Osteen preaches "prosperity" gospel.......which a lot of mainstream religious folks are totally against. Popoff and others are like that as well....send them $1000 and expect 10x back...where is the salvation in that?? and the reality? It doesnt happen.....sending money to a "minister" is no guarantee of being saved....but folks do it thinking it will....playing off human weaknesses.

The Bible warns of false prophets "standing on street corners" and wearing clothes of fine clothes and silks....I put most TV preachers in $1000 suits to be in that class....They dont care about saving souls.......or helping people..they only care about one thing...LOOKS and $$$$$

Nope. Wrong, not even once. Like others expressing this opinion, you haven't bothered to research what he is preaching, probably haven't listened to a single message. I don't mind people having opinions different from mine, but I do mind if they haven't researched their topic properly. You speak out of ignorance because you haven't listened to any of his sermons. Not a one.

As for phonies - I am sure the room is filled with phonies in every church. They are exactly where they need to be - in a church listening to teaching about getting their lives right. A church isn't a museum for saints. It is a hospital for sinners.

Now - getting back to Christian radio. I met Buddy Holiday. I talked with him about his vision for KSBJ. It was going to be the station for young people - never selling out to the Bill Gothard mentality. Fast forward a decade, and the station is in the process of selling out young people in favor of soccer moms who can send in big donations. Praise and worship music. Bland and BLEAH - spew it out of my mouth. It is so boring it literally makes me sick, especially when I hear some of the excellent CCM from the 70's and 80's. What a disappointment - praise and worship devastated the CCM format and destroyed its effectiveness in reaching young people. I fought it - and lost - at WAPN. It may be safe for little kids, but the moment a little kid becomes a tween - and discovers KRBE or any of the other Houston stations that programs to them, they are GONE from Christian radio and will NOT be back! Thankfully - somebody at KSBJ has a conscience and a heart to reach young people, so we get the blessing that is NGEN. Only it seriously needs better over the air signals or it will continue to languish in the ratings.

Original topic, what was it now? Ah yes, 99-7 in Garden Villas has lit up and Joe claims to have heard it in Missouri City.

Good luck to you Mr. Radioblade. I'm sure your LP will be top notch in its efforts to super serve Garden Villas. Here's wishing you many years of success and profitability in your endeavor.

As for the sidebar, would you like to question MY research on Pastor Joel, Bruce? I'm far from ignorant on the subject material, as I'm sure you already know. Instead, why don't we maneuver this discussion back to our newest low power offering, KHGV, before someone gets their feelings hurt.

Original topic, what was it now? Ah yes, 99-7 in Garden Villas has lit up and Joe claims to have heard it in Missouri City.

Good luck to you Mr. Radioblade. I'm sure your LP will be top notch in its efforts to super serve Garden Villas. Here's wishing you many years of success and profitability in your endeavor.

As for the sidebar, would you like to question MY research on Pastor Joel, Bruce? I'm far from ignorant on the subject material, as I'm sure you already know. Instead, why don't we maneuver this discussion back to our newest low power offering, KHGV, before someone gets their feelings hurt.

No I do not want to get into another dispute with you. It is pointless. We differ in our opinions. Enough said.

I wish KHGV all the ratings they can get. It might as well be across the country, given my location.

I am in Meyerland Willowbend area I am only hearing the country station only way someone in Mo City can get this station is with a 40ft to 65ft antenna with a rotater

KVST and KHGV going at it for 99.7 dominance near Lakewood Church. KHGV is playing the Bee Gees Jive Talking.... which is what Joel be doin' :)

http://youtu.be/FpXhtjd_TSM

Last edited:
When tropo kicks in some what KHGP will get killed by the country station. This station should have been granted for a 85ft high antenna with the country station being kinda close

Hello, I want to set the record straight. We are not trying to "over-ride" any station. We are completely above board and our consultant, George Schank, has a long good reputation here in Houston. Joe, who made the above posting after looking the station application and called to obtain more information about the station and spoke to my wife. I called him back and he was quick to claim that he knows Steve Lee at the FCC and he is an "informer." I am a long-time Houston radio veteran who is helping my local community association. I'm confused as to why the 99.5 translator in Missouri City was not wiping out 99.7, a little LP in Garden Villas, near Hobby Airport operating at minimums. I suspect that he was actually hearing the Palacious station. We have already filed with the FCC for the license to cover, on the air and completely transparent.

Blade, your operation is right down the line and I would not worry.....as to the "informer"??? Yeah he is an informer alright....after spending several years in prison, he knows how to inform I guess. His statements on the dispute about the LPs do not stand up to scrutiny and all the docs he had posted on a web site proved how much perjury was committed in his side of the situation (since no paperwork was ever signed off on by the other party, nothing to prove anything on what they did)..but that is old news....which for some reason keeps popping up...here or other sites, though claims were made and posted that it was a dead horse issue and nothing further would be done on it...oh well.............

Oh, and there are those of us who have been in engineering and radio before he was in diapers....like George as well as myself.

As to knowing Steve Lee at the FCC, a lot of people "know" Steve...only some of us (like me) have known him and his family since high school (his mom was a sales person at KOLE in its Top40 days in the 70s)...and had Steve call about a possible interference issue due to a visit by the then POTS in Houston; he called me at work back in the 90s...asking about use of 431 MHz by amateurs....he could not say what or why but said if anything showed up, it would be gone the next week and not worry about it. G Bush Sr flew into IAH that Friday (and 420-450 is Gov primary! LOL) A mutual friend laughed when I told him the story (He knows Steve's family as well for a LONGER time than I do). Its past time he and I have talked and gotten together for lunch.

Have known George since 1984 (He is a Col and I am a former Capt in CAP which is where we first met)....He is a very good, talented guy to know...he and I worked at KSBJ together...he had me look at a problem at the 89.3 in Victoria he could not figure out...kept blowing fuses...finally realized the box and schematic did not line up....one phase was flipped with neutral!!! Later that day, 89.3 Victoria was pumping out 6kw...also helped in the studio build out there for the 89.3 which KSBJ later sold since they have better signals now that cover the area.

What is ironic here is that everybody is getting WAY more excited about fresh, creative programming on translators than they are about the rest of the bland corporate formatted stations. It almost reminds me of the late 60's, when the FM band was composed of beautiful music stations on the one hand, and underground rock stations on the other. The beautiful music stations disappeared as music migrated to FM, while the underground rock stations evolved into the classic rock format we have today. Now that radio has abandoned its listeners - though listeners are slow to get the message - other voices are coming on the air with LPFM, translators, and even HD-2 channels. If there is one thing the history of radio has shown us - it is that listeners treat with utter contempt attempts to standardize, homogenize formats and put people into nice little format boxes. People eventually tend to break out of those nice little boxes and find their preferred music any other way they can. In the past it was DX and trips to record stores. Now it is internet, satellite, Pandora, and iPods. Radio, as always, is slow to respond - what may prove to be a fatal mistake this time.

Long live translators and LPFM - the future of creativity on FM!

What is ironic here is that everybody is getting WAY more excited about fresh, creative programming on translators than they are about the rest of the bland corporate formatted stations. Long live translators and LPFM - the future of creativity on FM!

Exactly!

Blade shared a few photos of the birth of KHGV with me, and with his permission I'm sharing them here. Let's hope this station lives long and prospers!

KHGV 1.jpg KHGV 2.jpg KHGV 3.jpg

Thank you Continuous Wave and Bruce .... I really appreciate those stories and kind words. Particularly from those like you who have been around a long time (like me). It is great to be able to give back to the community, including some memories and fun. Radio in many ways like it used to be, and serving our listeners with good radio the way it should be. Now, we can introduce students and those interested in the biz that there is more about radio than just reading liner cards and playing requests from a playlist of only 250 songs. I made a commitment to our community and we intend to live up to it. Again, I really appreciate the encouragement. :)

I echo the congratulations and I look forward to listening to your station next time I'm south of downtown. I grew up in a small town where the local radio station (KVPI-FM) is still run the way you envision your LPFM to be run. I listen to them online most of my work day and occasionally in the car because I have little interest in what large company commercial radio has become.

Thanks Steve. Would love to hear your thoughts when you are able to tune us in! Hopefully, we will be able to re-create some of the fun we had back when I was at KFMK in the 80s. Back then, the consultants would say we were "too folksy," because we really interacted with our listeners, played requests, and kept very local. But, they could not argue with the ratings that we got and sometimes seemed confused. But, it was really such a simple concept. That kind of radio unfortunately is all but gone here in Houston, today. (Except for little KHGV). I went on "live" for a little while last night and was surprised at the calls and positive comments we got. Several from folks who just "stumbled" onto the station! It felt like "the old days" again, talking to these listeners.

I just tried tuning in from my desktop radio in downtown. I can hear the station with a relatively clear signal. My office is on the 15th floor not too far from Toyota Center.

Thanks Steve. Would love to hear your thoughts when you are able to tune us in! Hopefully, we will be able to re-create some of the fun we had back when I was at KFMK in the 80s. Back then, the consultants would say we were "too folksy," because we really interacted with our listeners, played requests, and kept very local. But, they could not argue with the ratings that we got and sometimes seemed confused. But, it was really such a simple concept. That kind of radio unfortunately is all but gone here in Houston, today. (Except for little KHGV). I went on "live" for a little while last night and was surprised at the calls and positive comments we got. Several from folks who just "stumbled" onto the station! It felt like "the old days" again, talking to these listeners.

When KFMK went from CCM to Top40/AC, I was surprised.....found it on a return trip from Houston back to BPT...was going over the old Trinity River bridge and tuned across 97.9 and WHAT??? WOW!! I set a button to it....though I lost it down I10 a few miles later, I had a new station to listen to while in Houston.....It had a great sound...(along with KRBE and KAUM, etc back then)....

The good ole' days of PERSONALITY radio.....which people like...not robot radio

While driving through Midtown Houston KHGV and KVST were fighting it out on 99.7. At one stop light KHGV actually had a pretty solid signal, about eight miles from the transmitter. At points north of that KVST dominates.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom