• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

80's Centric Radio Stations with More Adventurous Variety?

All I know is it was from the late 80’s, peaked at #22 (Not Modern Day Delilah) and it was one-hit wonder.
Late '80s songs which peaked at #22 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart:

1989,22,Vixen,,,Cryin',3:31
1989,22,Duran Duran,,,All She Wants Is,4:36

1988,22,Toto,,,Pamela,4:28
1988,22,Rick Springfield,,,Rock Of Life,3:28
1988,22,Debbie Gibson,,,Staying Together,4:15

1987,22,Robert Cray Band,,,Smoking Gun,4:05

1986,22,Van Halen,,,Love Walks In,4:24
1986,22,Gavin Christopher,,,One Step Closer To You,3:58
1986,22,Robert Tepper,,,No Easy Way Out,4:19
1986,22,Aretha Franklin,,,Another Night,3:57
1986,22,Van Halen,,,Dreams,4:54
1986,22,ZZ Top,,,Rough Boy,3:45

So maybe "One Step Closer to You"? It was his only song to reach the Hot 100 chart, although he had a few other R&B hits.

The version of Landslide stations are playing is the live version from 1997. That's the highest charting version of the song. They also play Go Your Own Way, Dreams, Don't Stop, and Riannon. But they're from the 70s, so if you're playing a lower percentage of 70s songs, you'll hear them less frequently. Not all stations are playing Landslide as frequently either. WCBS plays it less frequently than the other songs I listed. On the other hand, WOGL plays it more frequently.
I could care less for "Go Your Own Way". It's played way too much and is totally undesirable. As For "Dreams", their huge 1977 #1 smash, I much prefer the sound and texture of that tune. "Gold Dust Woman", "Rhiannon", "Hold Me", "Over My Head", "Don't Stop", "Everywhere" and "Sara" are other favorites.

It’s not remotely undesirable as the airplay proves.
And that is the difference between consensus preferences and one person’s personal taste. That’s why stations do research instead of playing the PD’s own favorite songs.

I don’t want to hijack or stray off topic….but there is this one song that would fit in with the more adventurous songs….the problem is I’ve been trying to think of it for two days and I’ve gone blank.
All I know is it was from the late 80’s, peaked at #22 (Not Modern Day Delilah) and it was one-hit wonder. I have been scrambling everywhere …even looked at Spotify’s top 1000 of the 80’s. Does anyone know what song it may be? It was by two male artists I think and it was sort of one of those “get your strength back and have some encouragement” songs. Why I know it was a #22 song, I don’t know. I have a very good memory with chart peaks. Anyway, I’ll be eternally grateful if anyone can help me! There are adult/80’s stations who play the song.
I like this sort of mystery, RockTheRadio! Is there anything else you can remember? Did it have a video on MTV, VH-1 or BET? Could it have been "You're A Friend of Mine" by Jackson Browne and Clarence Clemons? That was from '85, though.

One more thought, "The Pleasure Seekers" by The System.

Last edited:
Could it have been "You're A Friend of Mine" by Jackson Browne and Clarence Clemons? That was from '85, though.
That was a #18 Billboard hit (and #20 Cashbox), not #22.

One more thought, "The Pleasure Seekers" by The System.
That was a #22 Dance Club hit. Didn't reach the Billboard or Cashbox pop charts.

You could call The System a one-hit wonder, since "Don't Disturb the Groove" (#4 Hot 100 in 1987) was their only song that went anywhere near the top 40, but it would be odd to refer to a group as a one-hit wonder, and then play something from them that wasn't a hit according to the benchmark used to call them that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom