• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

80's Centric Radio Stations with More Adventurous Variety?

Listening to KRTH was (subjectively) terrible. I am glad that it’s working for Audacy, but KOSF in San Francisco sounds significantly better in both variety and overall imaging/presentation.

Comparing playlists of KRTH and KOSF on Mediabase, it appears that KOSF has about 450 songs in their playlist, while KRTH has about 350. KRTH is playing more 70s songs more frequently, while KOSF is obviously all 80s. When I saw KOSF's Top 20 most played, it had some similar songs with KRTH. There were four 70s songs in KRTH, none in KOSF. However I would never put Rick Astly or Flock of Seagulls in my Top 20, but that's where they were for KOSF.

I have to resurrect this thread. I had a chance to sample some of the Audacy classic hits radio stations over the past week. Wow, that was rough! I knew that iheart was doing a better job already, but it’s a night and day difference. Listening to KRTH was (subjectively) terrible.
Yet KRTH is doing better than it ever has in the sales demographics. And Audacy's heritage gold-based station, KOOL-FM is at its worst place ever.
Which only proves that trying to second-guess what the audience actually wants to hear, basing the guess on personal preferences instead of research data, is a task fraught with peril.

KRTH is playing more 70s songs more frequently, while KOSF is obviously all 80s.

BTW I should correct this. Looking at KOSF's Mediabase list, there are some 70s and some 90s. Just not as many as KRTH, and they don't get played as often. But Alanis Morissette is represented on KOSF. You'll also hear the BeeGees and Donna Summer.

Yet KRTH is doing better than it ever has in the sales demographics. And Audacy's heritage gold-based station, KOOL-FM is at its worst place ever.
I will give them this: looking at the playlist as of right now, they’ve been doing slightly better than when I sampled. They played “it’s my life” from Talk Talk (and didn’t force anyone to hear the version from No Doubt. They also played a track from Bobby Brown which doesn’t hit the airwaves at KRTH very often.

I’ll have to check them out in that case! I think just about anything would be an upgrade from some of the Audacy owned classic hits stations. KRTH was disappointing, and when I sampled WOGL in Philadelphia, it was worse.
WOGL used to have wonderful weekend music and countdowns that lasted the entire week prior to the holiday. No longer. And they dropped a ton of gold and older classic hit titles. You're right, it's worse.

KRTH leaves something to be desired, but WOGL is horrendous. Very little variety and poor presentation with their revamp.
Looking at WOGL's playlist off Audacy (recently played titles), I can see why. I mean how many times must one play "Landslide" in a day? Good grief! Not even Fleetwood's best song, certainly not a favorite of mine. I'd rather hear "Tusk" instead. Not sure what they're thinking with this revamp.

Looking at WOGL's playlist off Audacy (recently played titles), I can see why. I mean how many times must one play "Landslide" in a day? Good grief! Not even Fleetwood's best song, certainly not a favorite of mine. I'd rather hear "Tusk" instead. Not sure what they're thinking with this revamp.
Probably that they just want to streamline this format as much as possible and treat it as a placeholder before moving into more of a 90’s based station. Maybe I’m off, but that’s the only thing I can think of when they are adding many tracks that seem to make sense only for a format that relies on the 90’s.

"The Jet" in Seattle plays both of those Richard Marx songs, but they don't play "Should Have Known Better."
I find it amusing that among all these music-centric people who want to discuss what songs are and are not being played, no one has managed to correct that song title.

Are you referring to the title actually being “should’ve known better”? If so, you are correct, but it’s nitpicking a bit and aside from the point here I think.
Yes, and I said I found it amusing. Yes, it's an aside. Last time I checked, side comments were still allowed here.

I actually do like "Tusk", but I think that for most listeners it was really kind of a stiff. It got lots of airplay when it was first released in the fall of 1979 because it was released before the rest of the album came out, so it was the only new Fleetwood Mac song that could get played -- and with it being two years since their previous album, it was highly anticipated. It broke the Top 10, but once it peaked it dropped off real fast, and with the exception of non-commercial KEOM in Mesquite, TX (which plays 70s and 80s classic hits) I don't think I've heard it on the radio since the beginning of 1980.

That said, I don't understand radio's fondness for "Landslide" either. Does it really research better than "Rhiannon", "Dreams", "Don't Stop", "Hold Me", and "Little Lies"?

That said, I don't understand radio's fondness for "Landslide" either. Does it really research better than "Rhiannon", "Dreams", "Don't Stop", "Hold Me", and "Little Lies"?

The version of Landslide stations are playing is the live version from 1997. That's the highest charting version of the song. They also play Go Your Own Way, Dreams, Don't Stop, and Riannon. But they're from the 70s, so if you're playing a lower percentage of 70s songs, you'll hear them less frequently. Not all stations are playing Landslide as frequently either. WCBS plays it less frequently than the other songs I listed. On the other hand, WOGL plays it more frequently.

I don’t want to hijack or stray off topic….but there is this one song that would fit in with the more adventurous songs….the problem is I’ve been trying to think of it for two days and I’ve gone blank.
All I know is it was from the late 80’s, peaked at #22 (Not Modern Day Delilah) and it was one-hit wonder. I have been scrambling everywhere …even looked at Spotify’s top 1000 of the 80’s. Does anyone know what song it may be? It was by two male artists I think and it was sort of one of those “get your strength back and have some encouragement” songs. Why I know it was a #22 song, I don’t know. I have a very good memory with chart peaks. Anyway, I’ll be eternally grateful if anyone can help me! There are adult/80’s stations who play the song.

I don’t want to hijack or stray off topic….but there is this one song that would fit in with the more adventurous songs….the problem is I’ve been trying to think of it for two days and I’ve gone blank.
All I know is it was from the late 80’s, peaked at #22 (Not Modern Day Delilah) and it was one-hit wonder. I have been scrambling everywhere …even looked at Spotify’s top 1000 of the 80’s. Does anyone know what song it may be? It was by two male artists I think and it was sort of one of those “get your strength back and have some encouragement” songs. Why I know it was a #22 song, I don’t know. I have a very good memory with chart peaks. Anyway, I’ll be eternally grateful if anyone can help me! There are adult/80’s stations who play the song.

This is from the early 80's, but the first song that came to mind is Don't Fight It by Kenny Loggins and Steve Perry.

Until last spring Reno's Crazy 80s (KPGF 93.7) had a large playlist, especially on Saturday nights. It ended when they started simulcasting an AM station's political talk stuff.

That would be the most logical and best guess but peaked at 17 on the Hot 100.
The song I’m thinking of reminds me of that Ollie and Jerry song *Breakin‘* …a No. 9 hit from ‘84.
(Just can’t stand when I know the song and have very little to go on…not even a single lyric but have to know it or I’ll lose it! :)) @Torgo Johnson

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom