• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

105.3 K287BQ mentioning KTWL

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the big companies are not worried why would anyone in the board, be worried? Just wondering seems like so much going on in the world than to invest time to report a bunch of translators that are no factors in the market.
This is an interesting comment. I am "in the board", and if it were me being affected, I'd be more than just worried. Judging from the response of 2speakers above, he also expresses more concern over the situation than just being "worried", having stated that he has spoken directly with an enforcement agent regarding this very issue. We play by the rules as required by law, or face penalties up to and including license revocation. Those rules apply to all persons who operate a licensed facility, regardless of their status as a corporately backed entity, or a small town mom and pop; a 100kW blowtorch, or a pip squeak cluster of translators that should only be covering a small portion of their overall market or area.

Radio is your life, yes? As such and in my opinion, one would seemingly be, at the very least, displeased that certain individuals and/or groups don't feel they have to abide by the same rules and regulations that the majority of respected broadcasters in the community do. That is, unless one maintains some degree of direct or even indirect involvement.

There is a lot going on in the world, and one of those things is this particular translator originating programming without a legitimate primary station feeding it in Houston, and luckily for us there's a forum online for us to discuss these matters. Lucky for those involved, no one able to do so appears willing to take the issue to task.

These translators interfere with legit stations like KWUP, KCOL, KQXY, K231DA, KKMY, KTWL and a bunch of LPFMs like KCYB, KMAZ, and KHGF. And some LPFMs that might not even be on the air. It’s incredibly annoying trying to listen to any of these stations and hearing illegal translators that shouldn’t have a 55 mile range.

If these operators don’t follow the rules I think they shouldn’t be able to broadcast and let people who will follow the rules broadcast

This is like speeding we have all done it. But I am not the state trooper and if I see another car speeding that's on them. I mind my own business and the companies i work for can care less. you guys' express concern but i could be that you don't hear any of the stations that could complain over interference.

Has anyone checked out 92.5 recently? I’m hearing a new Spanish language station interfering with ESPN. I don’t know if it’s the other translator that’s southwest of Houston but it was fairly strong by The Woodlands. I did not hear any branding in between songs. I didn’t get any RDS but it might be too weak
Espn 92.5 has been pretty much been wiped out now. The 92.5 Near or in South Houston seems to have the carrier on but no audio.

Has anyone checked out 92.5 recently? I’m hearing a new Spanish language station interfering with ESPN. I don’t know if it’s the other translator that’s southwest of Houston but it was fairly strong by The Woodlands. I did not hear any branding in between songs. I didn’t get any RDS but it might be too weak

I'm getting Spanish near Galleria. Can't hear ESPN 92.5

Attachments

• 012.jpeg
    012.jpeg
    563.8 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: HTX
I'm getting Spanish near Galleria. Can't hear ESPN 92.5
I’m hearing La Mejor on 92.5 at my northwest Harris County location, but if I fiddle with the antenna I can hear ESPN 92.5 trying to fight through. The La Mejor on 92.5 is a simulcast of what KJFI is airing on 102.5, and they are announcing both frequencies.

Looks like Gow has, for the time being, lost much of its coverage on the 92.5 translator.

Espn 92.5 has been pretty much been wiped out now. The 92.5 Near or in South Houston seems to have the carrier on but no audio.
I just checked and I heard the Spanish language station and it does seem to match KJHJ. It’s really hard to hear and I mostly hear ESPN but they seem a lot weaker.

I wonder how long until it’s just an overpowered mess of stations constantly fighting each other.

proof? heigh can do wonders for a translator just saying..
He didn’t mention anything about the coverage. But have you actually tried listening to these translators 45-55 miles away yourself? And have you looked at the directional patterns and tried tuning in the opposite direction?

proof? heigh can do wonders for a translator just saying..

I saw one picture of a translator installation going in in houston with a COMPUTER, much more more sturdy/rigid cable capable of handling more power and a much bigger antenna than needed.

Theres been pretty damning evidence over the last few years multiple translators are violating multiple rules.. and while its not been scientifically proven, and im the first to say.. STOP USING THE C WORD....... the evidence is actually beyond damning that many houston area translators are cheating on muiltiple levels.

I've heard similar from at least one very well respecte, talented houston broadcast engineer.

Nevermind one of the AMs that ive heard in both wyoming and alaska.. its only been heard here three times but was heard almost nightly in wyoming, when i was in a nullk.. and heard better then some on houston can hear it!

Nevermind one of the AMs that ive heard in both wyoming and alaska.. its only been heard here three times but was heard almost nightly in wyoming, when i was in a nullk.. and heard better then some on houston can hear it!
Would that be KJOZ you've heard? I hear it nightly in East Texas, battling with KRVN. A few years ago, I thought I had a new log, but alas, it was KJOZ with Urban Oldies. Neither KJOZ or KRVN are particularly strong here at my QTH, but it's definitely there and pretty steady for 1,000 watts from way down in Montgomery County.

Would that be KJOZ you've heard? I hear it nightly in East Texas, battling with KRVN. A few years ago, I thought I had a new log, but alas, it was KJOZ with Urban Oldies. Neither KJOZ or KRVN are particularly strong here at my QTH, but it's definitely there and pretty steady for 1,000 watts from way down in Montgomery County.

No, 1560 KGOW

KGOW is another regular here. So much so, that a nearby daytimer threw in the towel a couple of years back. I swear their pattern is out of whack. Full stop seek om KGOW most days.
Oh im almost sure its outta whack, even tough i cant prove it.. look up Laramie, WY (Hell, even mcgrath alaska where i am now) in comparison to KGOWs signal, day or night pattern.. but locales are in a null

K287BQ-FM has been operating in full compliance with all FCC regulations. You should cease and desist with all accusations to the contrary. You should expect legal action
Funny thing about actual attorneys - they're usually pretty quiet, and they don't tip their hand.

Funny thing about the engineering community in Houston - it's been quiet about all the transmitter impropriety here for the better part of a decade.

I assure you, the very last thing any of the translator operators wants is to put actual broadcast engineers, or their associates, in a position where they must defend themselves. The stuff that has been whispered about all this time would most likely end up in official filings.

Many of the translators on the air in Houston were hopped into town without any of the hop sites having been built, and there is a paper trail that proves it. The very last thing you want is for someone who knows how to put that paper trail together, then present it to the FCC to actually do so. It seems the Commission is taking candor issues seriously as of late.

That, and you should know that even though the large station ownership groups here have chosen not to involve the FCC, a substantial amount of data about improper translator operations has been collected, mostly at the request of the legal departments at those large ownership groups. For those of us who've had to do the collecting, it has been an enormous inconvenience.

Here's how it happens:

Most of the time, the translators are more or less inconsequential. They run niche formats that don't compete with any of the big radio groups.

But occasionally, one of the translators will drift out of its lane, and launches a format intended to compete with one of the big stations. This is always a very bad day for engineering managers here, because at this point, we know what we're in for. We get called in for a meeting with the GM and program director of the station being targeted by the translator to discuss the signal. By now, all the GMs in town know the translators operate outside licensed parameters, so the next ask is that we contact the corporate engineering managers to see what can be done about the offending operation.

Meanwhile, the program director is taking the new challenger up the chain on the programming side, and getting the corporate programming overlords riled up.

Next, legal is involved, and gear arrives from the corporate office. We then get to spend a few days driving the offending signal, mapping the signal strength by GPS coordinates and creating maps.

That's followed by the creation of videos that prove the translator isn't rebroadcasting the station specified on its license, and trips to the translator's transmitter site to photograph the antennas that don't match the license either.

After several more meetings and dozens of emails, now with local management, local engineering management, local programming management, corporate programming management, corporate engineering management, and legal all involved, the legal department will eventually say that we have the offending translator dead to rights...but we don't want to involve the FCC.

At the end of the day, the whole exercise is to make the GM and programming department feel like engineering and legal "did something."

But by now, we're fully aware going into it what the outcome will be, so the whole exercise is rather tiresome for everyone involved.

The end result is the station being targeted by the translator gets a few more bucks to spend on billboards.

And everything is quiet until the next time one of the f&&5#@g translators gets leased to someone delusional enough to think they can take on a heritage, full market signal with it. Then we get to do it all over again.

But that's our problem.

The takeaway here for any translator operator dumb enough to back anyone into a corner with threats of legal action, is that a lot of data sitting quietly in storage would inevitably come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom