• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Do lower charting songs make good recurrents/golds?

Unless they're charging a subscription fee, I doubt that's true. The online audience is mainly an expense with very little revenue.

The fact is that it isn't locally programmed, but they run a nationally distributed oldies format.
WAVO Charlotte NC, which is standards with lots of unfamiliar songs and unfamiliar versions, raises money form listeners. They had to stop streaming online because of music royalties, and while they promised to bring back the stream if they raised $3000, they only received enough to pay the royalties for broadcast. But that would be another source of funds if people could stream.

Hello Tibbs4......Well, to start (I know these are not played in some major markets (LA, NYC..etc..), Here's a small sample...

Nobody Does it Better - 1977 #2 3 weeks, 25 weeks on Hot 100 (James Bond movie theme)
Reunited - 1979 #1 4 weeks, 23 weeks on the Hot 100
Lady - 1980 #1 6 weeks, 25 weeks on Hot 100
Magic - 1980 #1 4 weeks, 23 weeks on Hot 100
Waiting For A Girl Like You - 1981 #2, 10 weeks, 23 weeks on Hot 100 (Huge song, blocked from #1 by Olivia!)
America's Best Music, but you have to be in a market that has it, or listen online. The last one is a recent add which I despise, but I do remember that Olivia was the girl they were waiting for.
You Should Hear How She Talks About You - 1982 #5 3 weeks, 25 weeks on 100 (more upbeat than any listed here!)
I liked this one but haven't heard it in years.

WAVO Charlotte NC, which is standards with lots of unfamiliar songs and unfamiliar versions, raises money form listeners. They had to stop streaming online because of music royalties, and while they promised to bring back the stream if they raised $3000, they only received enough to pay the royalties for broadcast. But that would be another source of funds if people could stream.

WJIB in Cambridge, MA, is similar, but closer to soft AC and beautiful music than standards. It's a hobby operation, basically, and will never stream because streaming is a money pit.

I hear you on this. I personally live in a smaller market where there is a variety station that goes deep. I mean really DEEP!. Guess what, I love it. But I have programmed radio stations for many decades, and I remember some of these non-hits and enjoy hearing them. But as an industry insider, I am not your average listener. So your point is taken.

Bottom line, "Old Time Rock n Roll" by Seger,

I immediately tune out, but again, I am not typical. Are there other listeners like me? Of course, but they don't usually show up in numbers high enough to support such a diversified playlist.
Not me. I heard that one on the radio and I liked it.

Oldies, I know the assistant PD of the local affiliate who will tell you they aren't rotating a large library of titles, and driving around town at random times will show the repetition. They move some titles in and out but they aren't playing to record collectors

Considering their logo is "Music you grew up with". To me that means larger library, less repetition, more variety in music and other fun memory-based ideas, such as that Elton John Weekend Firepoint described.

Last edited:
He has announced a date for Nashville in October. Wife wants to get tickets. If she can get them, we will go. I have told her that I am not averse to a road trip to Memphis, Birmingham, or Louisville, if necessary.

Guarantee, both of you will enjoy. His shows are absolutely amazing, alive and memorable! I've seen him perform and you'll get over two hours of hit songs. Hopefully it's with his band.

Last edited:
I liked this one but haven't heard it in years.
Truly a great song, ignored for reasons I don't understand, considering the upbeatness of that song. It was played a ton, back in the fall of 1982.

My take is it's a vanity format that the owner personally loves. Quite often, that's the story behind a lot of these oldies stations.

There should be a lot more of them! Good times, great oldies, fabulous music. Along the lines of what I'd love to do.

But this isn't some guy playing 10,000 songs in his basement. It's a national format with some local elements. It is not a music geek format, and if you heard the Knoxville version (with the exact same playlist as Nashville) you'd know that.

But this isn't some guy playing 10,000 songs in his basement. It's a national format with some local elements. It is not a music geek format, and if you heard the Knoxville version (with the exact same playlist as Nashville) you'd know that.

Who says 10K songs? All you really need is about 1500 or so. But, it sure beats the heck out of some others. Don't need a geek format, just a station that knows what they're doing.....and doing it right. This station is along those lines, I believe. Hippie is another. They're out there, waiting to be discovered.

No, this format does not rotate 1500-2000 songs. My wife complains she hears Hall and Oates too much. I am in a position to know as a regular (but not hours at a time) listener.

Who says 10K songs? All you really need is about 1500 or so. But, it sure beats the heck out of some others. Don't need a geek format, just a station that knows what they're doing.....and doing it right.

Still, these stations are not getting the kind of ratings that KRTH and WCBS are getting, and there's a reason for that.

Who says 10K songs? All you really need is about 1500 or so. But, it sure beats the heck out of some others. Don't need a geek format, just a station that knows what they're doing.....and doing it right. This station is along those lines, I believe. Hippie is another. They're out there, waiting to be discovered.

This station is on a nationally distributed syndicated format... what we used to call a "satellite" format. It has a playlist comparable to that of larger market classic hits stations, meaning a core of around 800 songs and some cycled songs that come in and out.

You can't build a library of 1,500 songs because, from the era they played, there are not that many songs that are still hits.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom