• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Sound to be Born Again as a EMF-owned Station

It is also time to say thanks and pay our respects to KSWD 100.3 ("The Sound"). Simply put, with a few notable exceptions that I have noted on this board before (mainly, not investing time to identify new bands/product to put on their station, a few really dopey contests they have run in the past, promoting this crazy obsession with vinyl LPs, and very unimaginative 10@10s) this has been an overall very well produced and presented classic rock station. They realize that it is not 1978 any more and their audience is now comprised of adults, so the presentation was very adult and professional. The station was always low key and friendly and never ventured too far into the political (always a course for disaster. See "NFL") although you know that they are all lefties that run the place (not that there is anything wrong with that).

Most importantly they made it clear that they take their musical heritage seriously and that includes the local radio scene. After starting out as a true AAA station for about a year, market forces required that they adapt, and they changed the music to straight ahead classic rock without ever formally announcing the change in format or even changing the logo and imaging. In both cases, they played themselves off as the natural heir to the old KMET and even did a couple of salutes to KMET (the first one being one Friday in the summer of 2009, the other a few years ago) the first of which was very good and entertaining, the second of which, ahh... probably a rerun of the first would have been better. This was very good marketing as I ran into a lot of people that identified the linking between the two stations and it was definitely considered by them to be a positive thing. People still love KMET. Too bad they can't share the station with their grandkids, but I digress.

They showed they were serious about the music when they went out and got Rita Wilde, which I believe brought them a lot of credibility and immediately their image changed from upstart classic rock station to one that could go toe-to-toe with market heritage rocker KLOS and should be seen as equals. They showed even more good judgement when they refused to hire Jim Ladd when he was let go by KLOS. And no Laddies, with your Indian Dream Catchers hanging off of your car rear-view mirror, this is not a shot at Jim (not that I am at all above taking one, I am not), I listen to him all the time on Sirius/XM Deep Tracks which is where he really belongs, so save the hate posts. In fact, I think I can hear the Doors' "Texas Radio with a Big Beat", so I'm sure that's got to be Jim on the radio right now. In any case, Ladd's personality would have overridden the station's vibe and it wouldn't have worked out. Better they play the Album Side at night.

At the end of the day, they put on a pretty good classic rock station that played as much variety as big market forces will allow and never let their personalities get in the way of the music. What more can you ask for? Ok, that is it for now, I hear the opening strings of "Hotel California" and I am going to go turn it up, you know, for old time's sake. In the meantime, this is CF, trying, but not succeeding, to check out, err, leave. Thanks KSWD.

Last edited:
That's your preference. Very different from a prediction. And very, very different from a strategy...especially a winning one. Selling stations to non-comms, or commercial broadcasters who program in different languages, gets you cash and takes a potential competitor off the board, which increases your chances of a healthy market share.

I don’t see EMF getting any additional stations as part of the CBS/Entercom merger, though I'll admit I didn’t see it getting KSWD either. Not that it couldn’t happen, but there's usually only one announcement per group when spinoffs occur.

Plus, revenue will be an issue in markets like Boston, Seattle, and Sacramento. It wasn’t an issue in Los Angeles. Selling to a non-commercial entity, especially one that doesn’t even solicit underwriters, tends cause your percentage of the market revenue to go up, not down. Past administrations' DOJ's have been wise to that and haven't been keen to allowing sales that had the sole intent of removing a competitor.

Entercom had previously said it had letters of intent for all divestitures, and it implied some would be swapped and others would be sold. It also implied it would end up in at least one additional market. Whatever happens, we'll likely find out soon.

It has been reported that all three stations being divested have applied to convert to non-commercial status and main studio waivers. As such, a question to any legal minds who may be lurking here: Is there an opportunity for an "in the public interest" appeal here to the FCC to try and stop this on the grounds that this status change would not be servicing the local community for which these public airwaves licenses are intended? If yes, it has my support and I'd be happy to help such an effort.

Funny...I forgot this station was once Pirate Radio. Or as we called it, Bon Jovi Radio. Or Hair Band radio. Now it's religious. Scott Shannon just let out a snort.

Is anyone even a little surprised that Entercom ended up deciding to unload 100.3 instead of moving KROQ there and selling off the much inferior 106.7?
>>Am I misremembering that those were the two signals that they said were being considered to get under the cap?<<

Moving a legendary brand to a new frequency is certainly not trivial, but they aren't making any more Mt. Wilson FMs.

In the divestiture statement a few months back, the two L.A. signals that were placed into the trust
(that were always subject to change) were 100.3 and 93.1. 106.7 was not mentioned at that time.

This was likely done to give Entercom/CBS some flexibility when it came to potential station sales and/or swaps.
I'm sure it was given some thought to possibly move the KROQ intellectual property, but I'd guess that it was not thought
to be worth the trouble (maintain billing stability) and that 106.7 wouldn't be as attractive a signal to offer up for sale/swap.

Last edited:
I would sell the remainder of the stations to sell to Beasley broadcasting. Just sayin. They have a good reputation as a radio group. And it would expand their portfolio into new markets where they currently are not located.

That or American General media. They have a good profile as well in California. With good performing stations and they even list their target audience on their website. So they also have a great pulse on local radio. Even though they are in smaller markets.

I would sell the remainder of the stations to sell to Beasley broadcasting. Just sayin. They have a good reputation as a radio group. And it would expand their portfolio into new markets where they currently are not located.

I doubt Beasley is interested. The last time they did a deal with CBS, it almost killed them.

That or American General media. They have a good profile as well in California. With good performing stations and they even list their target audience on their website. So they also have a great pulse on local radio. Even though they are in smaller markets.

Small diary market operator whose total revenue from 23 stations is less than that of one single top 5 San Francisco station. Even Sacramento is a big bite for such a small market operator to take.

I don’t see EMF getting any additional stations as part of the CBS/Entercom merger, though I'll admit I didn’t see it getting KSWD either. Not that it couldn’t happen, but there's usually only one announcement per group when spinoffs occur.

Whether they (EMF) need it or not, they may have a play in Sacramento.

Both K-Love and Air1 are on Class A's here in Sacramento. They could definitely use an upgrade in their hometown.

Looks like we're in the same hometown. I agree. While KLVB (99.5) does "OK" in the area, I can't imagine EMF not wanting a B1 or even class B station in Sacramento. I'm in the Rocklin, about a stone throw from the K-LOVE headquaters and 99.5 is good but not great.

I'm still of the mindset they'd pay big for 107.9 but I know that's not on the table yet. Knowing EMF, if they were able to aquire 107.9 or even 94.7, they'd flip it to K-LOVE, then use KLVB and KLRS (89.7) and any other translators hanging around for Air1.

what if klove cant get permission use it from unionvision 107.5

As I posted just yesterday (screen goes all wavy, harp music plays):

Mike Novak, the CEO of EMF, is a pro (one of the best jocks at KFRC in the 70s and 80s). He's been planning the introduction of the K-Love brand in Los Angeles for some time. You can bet there's been conversations between EMF and Univision and that there will be some announcement fairly soon.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom