• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Sound to be Born Again as a EMF-owned Station

Never saw that one coming, as I was predicting Entercom would've traded the station to Cumulus for KRBE in Houston. The other two divestitures, as I expected are KSOQ in San Diego and WGGI in Wilkes-Barre Scranton. I wonder how EMF will work things out with Univision since they own K-LOVE 107.5. I predict that Jack may hit the road if Entercom moves The Sound to 93.1.

Last edited:
"EMF CEO Mike Novak commented, “We are particularly excited to see what God has in store for the people of Los Angeles, through our new station, Positive & Encouraging K-LOVE at 100.3 FM."

Of course an agreement with Univision over the use of the "K-Love" moniker (already in use at 107.5 FM) would have to be in place in order before the Christian AC format arrives at 100.3.
Otherwise, the Air1 format would have to be put in place.

What may become of The Sound's format: will it be dissolved or will its intellectual property be moved to one of the remaining CBS/Entercom outlets?
If billing holds a clue, I'd say dissolution might be its fate, being as it is the #22 revenue producing L.A. station for 2017 and the lowest ranked in the cluster.

(see this post from earlier in 2017 and scroll down for more info):
http://www.radiodiscussions.com/sho...-Los-Angeles&p=6144276&viewfull=1#post6144276

A later post in another thread mentioned that KTWV is #16 in L.A. and on the rise.

Let the merry-go-round start spinning.

And either the LA Rams get moved to another soon to be Entercom run FM, or the contract goes up for grabs next season.

True...I would think the most logical candidate among the remaining stations would be JackFM-93.1 - a stretch would be K-Earth101.
I would think that Entercom would want to keep the Rams broadcasts as they seem to be excited about the sports properties they will own post-merger.

That's good news for the only quality pop/rock AAA station in town (in my point of view) The New 88.5 (former KCSN 88.5).And it is remarkable, KSWD has once started as an AAA station, but failed quickly and never got the chance and became a mainstream classic rock station like KLOS.

Never saw that one coming, as I was predicting Entercom would've traded the station to Cumulus for KRBE in Houston. The other two divestitures, as I expected are KSOQ in San Diego and WGGI in Wilkes-Barre Scranton. I wonder how EMF will work things out with Univision since they own K-LOVE 107.5. I predict that Jack may hit the road if Entercom moves The Sound to 93.1.

Mike: This is actually the least surprising thing. Entercom will look for every way not to hand a loaded gun to a competitor. That means deals with broadcasters like EMF.

I agree that the K-Love branding agreement will be interesting. David Eduardo is probably best equipped to discuss how strong K-LOVE's brand is en Espanol and what might motivate Univision to part with it.

As for Entercom replacing Jack with The Sound...again, David would be the guy to give us demos, but in 6+, Jack is #8. The Sound is tied for 18th. Why would they do that?

That's good news for the only quality pop/rock AAA station in town (in my point of view) The New 88.5 (former KCSN 88.5).And it is remarkable, KSWD has once started as an AAA station, but failed quickly and never got the chance and became a mainstream classic rock station like KLOS.

Given that KSWD made that switch years ago, there's likely no benefit to 88.5 from The Sound going away.

I agree that the K-Love branding agreement will be interesting. David Eduardo is probably best equipped to discuss how strong K-LOVE's brand is en Espanol and what might motivate Univision to part with it.

And, of course, I am not able to comment on this for very obvious reasons.

K-love 107-5 is a long established brand in the Spanish speaking Hispanic community, and the station is the #1 biller and audience ranker in that sector.

I predict that Jack may hit the road if Entercom moves The Sound to 93.1.

Hearing the staff at The Sound has already been told it will be dismissed when EMF takes over. Entercom hasn’t been willing to pay for Jack in the past, but, if Jack hits the road, it seems unlikely the format itself will change.

I'd expect more divestiture announcements in the very near future. Entercom said it wouldn’t make these announcements until it worked out a deal with the DOJ. Guessing that settlement has been reached in principle, and Entercom is just waiting for the ink to dry.

Valid comment seen on All Access: "Another satellite-fed, job killing acquisition for EMF to spew its dogma. Tax-free, of course. There are already enough reasons for listeners to flee terrestrial radio without turning everyone's once-favorite stations into godcasters."

While not unexpected, this is so sad. Another nail in the terrestrial radio coffin. For me it was the loss of KSCA as an AAA that began to lead me away from LAradio. Seeing KFWB drop its all-news heritage was another punch to the gut. While my TSL with KSWD is quite small, it's loss is significant to this market and its audience.

Hearing the staff at The Sound has already been told it will be dismissed when EMF takes over. Entercom hasn’t been willing to pay for Jack in the past, but, if Jack hits the road, it seems unlikely the format itself will change.

I'd expect more divestiture announcements in the very near future. Entercom said it wouldn’t make these announcements until it worked out a deal with the DOJ. Guessing that settlement has been reached in principle, and Entercom is just waiting for the ink to dry.

There hasn't been any official decision made regarding the staff at 100.3 The Sound and the station's IP as far as I know. The other two stations that Entercom divested are both KSOQ and WGGI as I expected. I'm still looking forward to see how Entercom will divest stations in the four remaining markets.

Mike: This is actually the least surprising thing. Entercom will look for every way not to hand a loaded gun to a competitor. That means deals with broadcasters like EMF.

As for Entercom replacing Jack with The Sound...again, David would be the guy to give us demos, but in 6+, Jack is #8. The Sound is tied for 18th. Why would they do that?

The reason why I'm surprised about this sale was because I didn't think that EMF would've acquired KSWD and flip it to K-Love due to the branding conflict it would have with Univision's K-Love 107.5. If Entercom traded the station to Cumulus, I would've expected them to flip 100.3 anyways.

I did read that Entercom may move The Sound to 93.1, although the future of station's Intellectual Property hasn't been confirmed yet.

There hasn't been any official decision made regarding the staff at 100.3 The Sound and the station's IP as far as I know. The other two stations that Entercom divested are both KSOQ and WGGI as I expected. I'm still looking forward to see how Entercom will divest stations in the four remaining markets.

A friend of a friend in the market tells me RAMP is reporting The Sound staff will be dismissed.

Evolution or devolution of 100~Three? Bonneville paid $137.5m for it in 2008, then swapped the station for Denver stations Entercom was purchasing from Lincoln Financial. It'll be interesting to see what Entercom is getting from EMF when the application is filed. Bet it aint anywhere close to three figures! And What In The Wide, Wide World of Sports is a goin' on with Edward Stolz? Eddie hates Entercom, so we'll see if he raises any objections to this deal.

A friend of a friend in the market tells me RAMP is reporting The Sound staff will be dismissed.

OK, I'll just wait for an update to be posted regarding the dismissal of The Sound staff. While I wasn't surprised about the San Diego and Wilkes-Barre divestitures, I was surprised about Entercom selling 100.3 The Sound to EMF who will flip the station to K-Love, due to the branding conflict with Univision.

There hasn't been any official decision made regarding the staff at 100.3 The Sound and the station's IP as far as I know.

The staff itself was notified and severance packages presented.

Evolution or devolution of 100~Three? Bonneville paid $137.5m for it in 2008, then swapped the station for Denver stations Entercom was purchasing from Lincoln Financial. It'll be interesting to see what Entercom is getting from EMF when the application is filed. Bet it aint anywhere close to three figures!

A much higher powered station with good billings, KPWR, was sold a few months ago for $82 million.

Using that as somewhat of a benchmark, lower power KSWD is likely going closer to a $50 million stick value.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom