• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Worst songs on country radio

"She Cranks My Tractor" by Dustin Lynch is another terrible song on the radio. As is "I Drive Your Truck" by Lee Brice. I am getting tired of these tearing up the back-roads and fields songs. It is giving more and more people the idea that it is okay to tear up roads and trespass on people's land. Getting sick of this crap.

What has country music become? It has become music damn near no one can relate to. It has become fantasy music. So people can envision themselves driving on a dirt gravel road when chances are they have never been on one. They throw around the word country then go back to their city apartments. Those few who can relate to it have taken it up as a religion. They go out and rip up our fields like the law doesn't apply to them. They go out and get drunk every Friday night with their friends and vandalize properties and leave their beer cans in the ditches. I hope Apple, Spotify, and Pandora can drive those final nails into Country Radio's coffin. Maybe when it finally dies our cookie cutter music can die with it. The radio has created the major artists. Without radio, they will go as quickly as they came. The digital world is a level playing field.

Casey said:
"She Cranks My Tractor" by Dustin Lynch is another terrible song on the radio. As is "I Drive Your Truck" by Lee Brice. I am getting tired of these tearing up the back-roads and fields songs.

Have you actually listed to "I Drive Your Truck?" It has nothing to do with "tearing up the backroads." It's more like "Driving With Private Malone."

^^^ I believe that song is named "Riding With Private Malone". ;D ;D ;D

Casey said:
"She Cranks My Tractor" by Dustin Lynch is another terrible song on the radio. As is "I Drive Your Truck" by Lee Brice. I am getting tired of these tearing up the back-roads and fields songs. It is giving more and more people the idea that it is okay to tear up roads and trespass on people's land. Getting sick of this crap.
"I Drive Your Truck" is really about a guy driving the truck that his girl owned because she is not here anymore. He drives it because he misses her and wants to keep her memory alive.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

TheBigA said:
Casey said:
"She Cranks My Tractor" by Dustin Lynch is another terrible song on the radio. As is "I Drive Your Truck" by Lee Brice. I am getting tired of these tearing up the back-roads and fields songs.

Have you actually listed to "I Drive Your Truck?" It has nothing to do with "tearing up the backroads." It's more like "Driving With Private Malone."

I don't care what it is about. The words "And I burn up every back road in this town I find a field i tear it up till all the pains a cloud of dust" invalidate everything it could possibly mean. It's like saying "Yes, I miss you. So I am going to go break the law and tear up someone's field now costing them thousands because I have managed to justify it in my twisted mind."

^^^ To me, only the writer(s) can explain why such lyrics were written.

God bless you and them always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

Lee Brice's "Hard to Love" is OK in my opinion. I've never heard the "I Drive Your Truck" one.

-crainbebo

Worst? You could claim many....But let's have a "Slim Whitman Weekend"...... When you hear "Oma-Paloma-Blanca" be the first caller and you win his "Greatest HIT".... :p

Casey said:
I don't care what it is about. The words "And I burn up every back road in this town I find a field i tear it up till all the pains a cloud of dust" invalidate everything it could possibly mean. It's like saying "Yes, I miss you. So I am going to go break the law and tear up someone's field now costing them thousands because I have managed to justify it in my twisted mind."
yipes, talk about extreme micro analysis of a few lyrics. aint too familiar with the young feller singin it, but my guess is he probably drives an alexis SUV and aint ever even done been in a field, let alone tore up a field. but, lets hope all them eager to redneck up, prepubescent, major market countrypolitan listeners dont copy cat that love sick roughneck. if it makes you feel any better, some of us was raised right though. back in the 80's, i done got drunk and put my pickup sideways through thirty feet of barb wire fence, and ripped up part of a wet pasture trying to keep from gettin it stopped/stuck. ya, i made it out, and yep by next day i was right back showin up and apologizing to the land owner, and repairing some fence. now that even sounds like a perfect country song in my book. hey, anyone know jamie johnson?

skippertthomas said:
Worst? You could claim many....But let's have a "Slim Whitman Weekend"...... When you hear "Oma-Paloma-Blanca" be the first caller and you win his "Greatest HIT".... :p

I think you mean UNA Paloma Blanca. My favorite version of that upbeat spiritual was sung by The George Baker Selection, the same act that less than 2-years earlier charted with Little Green Bag.

skippertthomas said:
I like the song. But it's not country.

"I Drive Your Truck" is about someone who has lost a loved one, I always thought it was his brother or a good friend rather than a sweetheart, and he finds comfort in driving the deceased person's truck rather than going to a cemetery because he has memories associated with that person and he can connect with him by doing something he loved in his life. I can definitely relate to this song as I've had a lot of losses recently including my sister who was just two weeks shy of her 21st birthday.

All this talk about music being so much better in the old days reminds me of a routine James Rogers, a comedian and singer/song writer who does a show at Dollywood theme park used to do about dumb oldies. I wish I could find it on Youtube. It talks about how everybody talks about how awesome music of the 50s and 60s was, and then proceeds to play the really dumb ones from that era and say how nobody remembers those songs because we tend to idealize the past. It's hilarious.

jfrancispastirchak said:
skippertthomas said:
I think you mean UNA Paloma Blanca. My favorite version of that upbeat spiritual was sung by The George Baker Selection, the same act that less than 2-years earlier charted with Little Green Bag.
Time flies! That white dove actually hit in '76, when I was in sixth grade. I was not familiar with "Little Green Bag" until it was used in an episode of Freaks and Geeks. It had originally hit six years before the white dove.

I seem to recall that the scene in Freaks and Geeks in which "Little Green Bag" is played is when Lindsay (Linda Cardellini) smokes pot. You can take that for what it is worth! ;D

As for "Una Paloma Blanca," it is one of those tunes with a LONG intro that couldn't make up its mind whether it wanted to be an instrumental or a vocal. It kinda reminded me of "Winchester Cathedral" in that respect. 8)

Reminding myself that I am on the "country" board! ;D

firepoint525 said:
I seem to recall that the scene in Freaks and Geeks in which "Little Green Bag" is played is when Lindsay (Linda Cardellini) smokes pot. You can take that for what it is worth! ;D
As for "Una Paloma Blanca," it is one of those tunes with a LONG intro that couldn't make up its mind whether it wanted to be an instrumental or a vocal. It kinda reminded me of "Winchester Cathedral" in that respect. 8)
Reminding myself that I am on the "country" board! ;D

Country Thread? Forget Little Green Bag and Winchester Cathedral. But Una Paloma Blanca might qualify by default, if only for it's upbeat spiritual quality and that connection to Slim Whitman, who did get country airplay back here in the colonies.

I wouldn't say it's the worst song on country radio, but color me unimpressed with Lady Antebellum's "Downtown." It seems to be their equivalent of "We Are Never Ever..." except that it probably won't cross to pop radio. Can't see it lasting too long or enduring in gold libraries. Very slight, no heart, no soul, just lame and plastic. I think they might have been better off covering the Petula Clark oldie of the same title instead.

I actually like Lee Brice's "I Drive Your Truck." "Truck" subject matter notwithstanding, I think it's a moving and powerful song. I wouldn't lump it together with "Truck Yeah" (aggghhh!) or those other lame "truck" songs.

ChrisInMI said:
Can't see it lasting too long or enduring in gold libraries. Very slight, no heart, no soul, just lame and plastic.

Depends on what you focus on. The lyrics are pretty simple, pretty Gen Y, but the playing is first rate. And maybe that's taken for granted in a lot of places, but there's some outstanding musicianship on this song. I think it'll be a centerpiece at their show.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom