• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Who's The Moron At ESPN/ABC?

There isn’t some person willy nilly making these decisions. In today’s multichannel cable world these decisions are based on contractual obligations. Networks and cable channels have to follow those.
Then I will change my opinion from broadcasters to their lawyers. You know, the ones who fail to take into consideration the real environment. Anyone who remembers the 'Heidi' NFL game will remember how much outrage it generated. I would have thought modern programmers would have learned from that but apparently not.

Then I will change my opinion from broadcasters to their lawyers. You know, the ones who fail to take into consideration the real environment. Anyone who remembers the 'Heidi' NFL game will remember how much outrage it generated. I would have thought modern programmers would have learned from that but apparently not.
When there is a need for what can't be called by any other name than draconian decisions, then there is likely a hierarchy of criteria used to decide which of two games (or a game and an important show) is more important. That would include team standings and followings, and things like whether the specific game affects standings or finals.

And, as BigA mentioned, there may be contractual factors where there is no choice.

I'm betting that such decisions are not purely arbitrary.

The Heidi game was an entirely different era. That would not and could not happen in 2022. All NFL games today are shown to completion by contract in their local markets. Out of market can move to a more competitive game. But If I remember correctly the Heidi game was nationally televised. Big difference.

Last edited:
The one that used to show volleyball from Canada, rodeo from Mesquite, Texas, Australian rules football and punch-drunk palookas fighing at Ice World, in Totowa, New Jersey? The one that couldn't show highlights of many MLB teams on SportsCenter because their network flagships denied ESPN the rights? I think you've got the wrong ESPN to hang the "lite" label on.
I remember many moons ago when ESPN would air AWA Wrestling.

When there is a need for what can't be called by any other name than draconian decisions, then there is likely a hierarchy of criteria used to decide which of two games (or a game and an important show) is more important. That would include team standings and followings, and things like whether the specific game affects standings or finals.

And, as BigA mentioned, there may be contractual factors where there is no choice.

I'm betting that such decisions are not purely arbitrary.
The answer to your first paragraph is yes; these were the finals of the 'American' teams. Both teams from the USA.

I never said they were arbitrary. The game in question was an elimination game with both teams exchanging the lead. The score was but one run apart at the time they cut it off. The game on the go-to service was still in pre-game warmups and interviews. The actual game didn't begin until about 25 minutes after the switch.

If they had waited those 25 minutes to switch viewers on ABC would have seen one of the greatest comebacks in LL history but the new channel didn't even mention the old game score at all. At the time of the switch the losing team was one run behind but scored 7 runs in the next two innings to win 12-6.

A historic event lost to posterity because of some fool or contract. Unforgivable!

The Heidi game was an entirely different era. That would not and could not happen in 2022. All NFL games today are shown to completion by contract in their local markets. Out of market can move to a more competitive game. But If I remember correctly the Heidi game was nationally televised. Big difference.
No, it is exactly the same. The ABC audience may be smaller than the NFL's Heidi game but otherwise it was a nationally televised game with one team coming from behind in the final innings and although ABC couldn't have known the final outcome they cut the game when the issue was still greatly in doubt - and the service they cut to wasn't even showing a game at that time. Remember, I'm talking about Little League here and not the NFL.

There was absolutely no justifiable reason to switch feeds at that time.

they began by airing scrabble tournaments, there was also a Twitter freakout when they aired e-sports, they don't seem to mind them airing poker
I guess that's why they added 'entertainment' to their name - so they could air any piece of garbage.

And there it is. The timelessly silly Heidi reference. Time to let it go.

No, it is exactly the same. The ABC audience may be smaller than the NFL's Heidi game but otherwise it was a nationally televised game with one team coming from behind in the final innings and although ABC couldn't have known the final outcome they cut the game when the issue was still greatly in doubt - and the service they cut to wasn't even showing a game at that time. Remember, I'm talking about Little League here and not the NFL.

It was LITTLE LEAGUE BASEBALL, a novelty event for TV, like midget wrestling used to be. Not historic, not significant, not lasting in impact. The only people who "follow" these teams are the parents and friends of the children playing the games. For years, it was something televised on exactly one day, the day of the world championship game, usually won by Taiwan. Why are you even watching this???

Even though I probably wouldn't be watching a lot of it almost any sports on weekend afternoons is better than turning the time over to local stations who will most likely fill the time with infomercials. I've ranted before about WREG in Memphis filling non-sports times on weekends with infomercials, and they're doing it again tomorrow afternoon for 5 hours! :mad: Thankfully on Sunday afternoon CBS has LPGA golf and preseason football, so there will be little or no time for WREG to put in infomercials.

Last edited:
It was LITTLE LEAGUE BASEBALL, a novelty event for TV, like midget wrestling used to be. Not historic, not significant, not lasting in impact. The only people who "follow" these teams are the parents and friends of the children playing the games. For years, it was something televised on exactly one day, the day of the world championship game, usually won by Taiwan. Why are you even watching this???
You are dead wrong if you think only the player's families are interested. It is probably the best of American baseball with sportsmanship (which is not seen in the majors). It is the only baseball I watch because MLB is boring to the max trailing only golf as a good reason to take a nap.

Your comment that it was a one day televised event is not a factor in today's LLWS.

Midget wrestling is a circus act, just like the WWE. Trash 'sport' where the outcome is preordained and the highlights include an old lady tossing a metal chair at one of the participants. Look to the college or Olympic matches if you want real wrestling.

Comparing the NFL to little league baseball is ridiculous.

You are dead wrong if you think only the player's families are interested. It is probably the best of American baseball with sportsmanship (which is not seen in the majors). It is the only baseball I watch because MLB is boring to the max trailing only golf as a good reason to take a nap.
So of course that can be extrapolated. 🤣

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom